Must see places for a day in Oslo

Hi everyone we will be arriving in Oslo after a week in Sweden, around 11am towards the end of January.  We are staying overnight at a hotel close to the train terminus and then leave on the first train to Bergen.  We plan to train from airport to hotel, drop off our luggage and head out to cover the top things to see/do in Oslo for the remainder of the day and evening.  We are both relatively fit, healthy mid to late 50 year olds, so covering a lot of ground is not an issue.  Would love to know what the most highly rated/do not miss places are so we can plan our day and evening accordingly.  Would also be happy for suggestions for dinner reservations.  We are not fussy eaters and will eat most things, though we are 'foodies' so appreciate a good meal.   Would be grateful for the knowledge and expertise of those in this forum.  Thanks in advance.

Suggesting that you look at the visitoslo website, also tripadvisor, (and any others you find) both with many suggestions for visitors as there are many possible options to consider for the short time you have and you will want to prioritise the sights which appeal most to yourselves, not to others.

We have visited three times.  First time we visited the fortress as we were docked alongside, took the local train up to the ski jump area and visited the Vigeland(?)Sculpture Park, which was probably our favourite.  Visit #2  we bought day passes at the kiosk beside the dock and focused on  museums, several of which are located on an island/peninsula? Used buses and the ferry to get around. 

Visit#3 was mostly spent walking around the central area, looking at the palace exterior,visiting a couple more museums which were not on the island/peninsula, also the Nobel Centre and took a tour of  Oslo City Hall, both of which were located close to the dock,.

Your time will be short and careful planning will be needed to make the most of it. As it will be an afternoon and evening, you will also need to work around opening hours.

though we are 'foodies' so appreciate a good meal  In that case, hoping you have deep pocket! Check restaurant reviews on Tripadvisor, and the individual menus of any restaurants you want to consider as Norwegian prices are very high, and you should be especially careful when ordering anything alcoholic as the cost of alcohol in Norway could make your eyes water as much as it did ours!

Edited by edinburgher

I definitely enjoyed the Vigeland sculpture park.  I also enjoyed seeing the murals in the large City Hall building.  I did not do a tour.  I just walked in to the public areas.  I also really enjoyed the Viking ship museum.  You will need some form of transportation to get to the sculpture park and the Viking ship museum.  I used city busses and the metro.

5 hours ago, MeHeartCruising said:

I definitely enjoyed the Vigeland sculpture park.  I also enjoyed seeing the murals in the large City Hall building.  I did not do a tour.  I just walked in to the public areas.  I also really enjoyed the Viking ship museum.  You will need some form of transportation to get to the sculpture park and the Viking ship museum.  I used city busses and the metro.

The buses are very convenient. And at the bus stops, there is a board telling you how many minutes it will be until each of the next buses will arrive.

Oslo is the capital and largest city of Norway. As such, it has a wealth of cultural attractions and things to see and do.
Some must-see places in Oslo include the Vigeland Sculpture Park, the Munch Museum, the Nobel Peace Center, and the Royal Palace.

Other popular attractions include the Opera House, the City Hall, and Aker Brygge, a waterfront area with shops, restaurants, and bars. If you have time, you could also visit the Botanical Garden.

Thanks so much for all your advise.  I am quite an obsessive researcher (the scientist in me), so we have the Lonely planet's recent Norway guide.  Have also looked at visit Oslo, trip advisor and many other websites before I uploaded this question.  I was keen for more of an insiders/past visitor perspective as many of the things that are listed in said guides often are fairly average and not worth prioritising on a single days visit.  Is the ski jump worth visiting?  I realise it is an individual's perspective based on interest and opinion as far as what is deemed 'worthwhile' however I'm reading mixed commentary about a few places.  It sounds like Vigeland sculpture park, the Munch museum and the Royal Palace are top contenders.  I have been told the Bygdoy area is worth some time?  Just wondering if the ski jump is close to any of these and worth factoring into the mix? 

been told the Bygdoy area is worth some time?

Well, that depends on whether or not you want to visit any of the museums located there.  These include the Kon Tiki, The Viking Ship and The Fram, although there are others.  We also spent some time at the open air folk museum which has over 100 buildings and exhibits, but I don't think you would have time for that. You should look again at info on the museums located there and decide if any or none interest you, then you will know if the area is worth some time or not.

The Ski Jump (the name of which I have forgotten) is actually truly massive and there are panoramic views of the city from there. It takes a little time to reach it.We took a suburban train and walked up the short distance from the closest station. It is actually quite famous and is used in winter competitions, such as the Olympic Games.  Standing up there looking down its length and height  is quite terrifying and the thought of leaping down brings a whole new respect for the sheer bravery of the competitors.

A little surprised that nobody else has commented on restaurant and/or alcohol prices in Norway, or suggested restaurants for a meal.  Are we Brits the only ones who were shocked at Norway prices?

Edited by edinburgher

This depends hugely on your personal interests!

That said, Vigelands Park is a great option for the early evening, since a lot of museums close around business hours, and the sculptures are illuminated at night.

Of the museums, the Folk Museum is my personal favorite as it has examples of historic buildings from all over the country (including a reconstructed stave church), and several have displays inside explaining details of Norwegian culture. It's a bit more vibrant in the summer, when there are more live action demonstrations, and in January I wouldn't expect much going on if it's a week day. It's also a large open-air space, so warm clothes would be a must.

The unexpected surprise for a lot of Oslo visitors is the Fram polar ship museum. It is home to the ship that Roald Amundsen used on his historic trip to the South Pole. You can explore inside the ship itself, and the building houses several exhibits about polar exploration.

The Viking Ships would be worth visiting as they're quite unique and not easily seen elsewhere. But the museum is closed for rennovations.

If you're more interested in scenic viewpoints, that's the main highlight of the ski jump. It's a nice view over the city if the weather is clear. However, I don't find the jump itself terribly interesting. It does contain a skiing museum if that's a particular interest of yours. Personally if I was headed up that direction for the view, I'd consider going further uphill and pairing the trip with a traditional meal at Frognerseteren.

If you're at all interested in modern architecture, it's worth visiting the Opera house, and there is a nice fjord view from the roof, which is an open public space. If it's snowy or icy, this can be extremely slippery, so be aware of conditions and consider admiring the building from street level if you're not sure of your footing. Also on the modern-architecture front is the Bar Code - a row of modern buildings built along the fjord side of the rail tracks stretching east from the station. This used to form a very interesting view from the water, but a bunch of lower and less interesting buildings have since gone up in between. These days it might actually be better admired from the train into town. The new Munch museum is also in this area and unfortunately hard to miss. I think it's ugly, but there's a bar at the top for nice views that don't include it.

If you are interested in art, the National Gallery has opened in its new building and is home to one of the most famous renditions of Munch's The Scream along with several other historic Norwegian artists and a handful of big international names. There's also the aforementioned Vigelands Sculpture Park, which is an art highlight for the city. And if modern art is more to your taste, the Astrup Fearnley Museum on the Tjuvholmen waterfront is a good choice. Personally, I would skip the Munch Museum (not due to the architecture) unless you're a serious fan of Munch. It's a lot of work by one artist, so it can feel a bit one-note to the less enthused.

If you just want areas to wander around, take a stroll down the central street of Karl Johans gate, which runs from the central train station up to the palace and passes by the cathedral, parliament, Oslo University, and national theater. Wandering the grounds of Akershus Fortress has a historic vibe and can be a quiet spot to get away from the city. If you're looking for local shops and hipster ambience, wander up Markveien and Thorvald Meyers gate in Grünerløkka. A walk along the Akerselva river is a fun mix of green space and history with several buildings having lived a previous life as turn-of-the-century mills and factories.

Food

Traditional Norwegian fare leans towards the basics and is very meat-and-potatoes centric. There are plenty of good places to sample it, but you will likely find them expensive for the cuisine, because they're targeted more to traditional event dining (company dinners, special occasions, etc) since this tends to otherwise be food people would make at home. Statholderens, Engebret, Gamle Rådhus, etc. Lorry, near the palace, is a simple and more affordable historical staple, and Schrøder is a local spot made famous by Jo Nesbø.

New Nordic is understandably the more contemporary option found at the gourmet spots like Maaemo. If you're visiting in January, it's likely too late to get a table at some of the most popular places. Of the starred options, Kontrast probably still has some open seats. You can find all the Michelin-listed restaurants here (the text is translated, so some of the restaurant names need to be un-translated). Stepping down from the gourmet scene, Hrimnir ramen is a nordic-fusion ramen shop that showcases Nordic flavors in a unique and more affordable option.

If you're less interested in local flavors and just interested in a good meal, Zarathustra does fantastic mezes (book ahead for a table), and Mamma Pizza is an Italian staple with a convenient central location and no reservations needed. Asia at Aker Brygge is a consistent choice for Asian fusion.

There are also several food halls that could be good options if you're not set on a cuisine. The original is Mathallen in an old factory along the river, but the dining options are more limited. Via Village in Vika (north of Aker Brygge) has some noteworthy options. And for the more traditional food-truck-court style, there is Oslo Street Food (aka Torggata Bad as it inhabits a building that was once a swimming hall), Bar Code Street Food (in the Bar Code), and Vippa (out on the waterfront beyond the ferry pier). There's also a newly-opened Bar Hall (drinks instead of food) in the Posthallen building, showcasing several local mixologists.

46 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Just one word about the sculpture garden. Do not go with children. The sculptures are quite erotic.

I definitely wouldn't consider them "erotic" as they are mostly just humans doing normal human things -- albeit nude, as they are meant to be a timeless portrait of humanity. I guess the one on the bridge with the woman being embraced by the lizardy-fish-looking thing could maybe be considered erotic? But I wouldn't use that term for most of the work. Especially not the ones involving children.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Aussie lost in space said:

Thanks so much for all your advise.  I am quite an obsessive researcher (the scientist in me), so we have the Lonely planet's recent Norway guide.  Have also looked at visit Oslo, trip advisor and many other websites before I uploaded this question.  I was keen for more of an insiders/past visitor perspective as many of the things that are listed in said guides often are fairly average and not worth prioritising on a single days visit.  Is the ski jump worth visiting?  I realise it is an individual's perspective based on interest and opinion as far as what is deemed 'worthwhile' however I'm reading mixed commentary about a few places.  It sounds like Vigeland sculpture park, the Munch museum and the Royal Palace are top contenders.  I have been told the Bygdoy area is worth some time?  Just wondering if the ski jump is close to any of these and worth factoring into the mix? 

Takes awhile to get there, but the view is awesome. I’d include the Opera House (roof can be slippery if ice is present.) Personally, I prefer the National Museum to the Munch Museum, but both are worthwhile. The Viking Ship Museum is closed at present.

• Like 1

Thank you so much Kaisatsu for your opinions, suggestions and thoughts on all these areas, truly appreciated.  Exactly what I was hoping for.  You've given us a great starting and hopefully end point for the day.  

We have Yaktrax, so walking on ice or snow hopefully won't be too much of an issue.  We are prepared (clothing wise at least - cognitively is another thing 🥶) for the cold, snow, sleet and icy temperatures as we venture up to Tromso and Alta after Oslo and Bergen.  

• Like 1

Also adding my own thanks Kaisatsu as you have given us some additional ideas should we ever return to Oslo for a 4th visit.

17 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Just one word about the sculpture garden. Do not go with children. The sculptures are quite erotic.

I definitely wouldn't consider them "erotic" as they are mostly just humans doing normal human things -- albeit nude, as they are meant to be a timeless portrait of humanity. I guess the one on the bridge with the woman being embraced by the lizardy-fish-looking thing could maybe be considered erotic? But I wouldn't use that term for most of the work. Especially not the ones involving children.

We did not consider them "erotic" either, seeing them only as naked human figures, both adults and children, but perhaps Europeans who have have been viewing nudity in many art forms for centuries  have a different idea of what constitutes "eroticism" than some other cultures?  I do not know.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

How long would you suggest for a visit to the Norske Folke Museum?  What about the Norwegian Resistance Museum? 
We will have a day and a half in Oslo and are trying to decide if the City Pass is worth it, or if it is better to focus on one or two museums.  

Thanks

1 hour ago, Spurlady said:

How long would you suggest for a visit to the Norske Folke Museum?  What about the Norwegian Resistance Museum? 
We will have a day and a half in Oslo and are trying to decide if the City Pass is worth it, or if it is better to focus on one or two museums.  

Thanks

The grounds of the Folk Museum are quite spacious, so I would plan at least an hour, but you can easily spend 2½ if you wander at a leisurely pace, read all of the material presented inside the various buildings, and watch some of the live demonstrations, etc. So usually somewhere in between. I generally plan for two hours with the potential of leaving early if we want.

The Resistance Museum has a lot of reading material, so if you are especially interested you can probably spend an hour. And if you’re not especially interested in the subject matter, I would recommend choosing something else. There isn’t a lot to see, so most of the interest is in the written historical accounts.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
3 hours ago, Jessica60 said:

Hi, we will have two children with us. What is the best way/ mode of transportation to get from the port to the Folkemusem ?  We are in port 08.30 to 2.45pm.

Thank you

There are multiple ports in Oslo. You can find the pier assignments here: https://www.oslohavn.no/globalassets/oslo-havn/dokumenter/cruise/20230506-cruiseanlop-.pdf

If you’re at Akershuskai, you can take the tourist ferry to Bygdøy from nearby in front of the city hall. From the first stop, it’s about ten minutes straight up the road. Alternatively, you can walk past the city hall to the Nationaltheatret bus stop and take bus #30 towards Bygdøy. The bus runs every 10 minutes and has a stop right at the Folk Museum (Folkmuseet).

From Revierkaia, walk along the waterfront towards the library and central station, and there’s a 30 bus stop on Tollbugata in front of the stock exchange (Borsen).

Filipstadkaia is less convenient. There isn’t much in the area, and it’s hemmed in by the highway. The transit app suggests taking the pedestrian bridge over the highway and walking ~15 minutes to Solli to catch the 30 bus.

I highly recommend downloading the Ruter transit app, as it lets you buy tickets, see real-time departure info, and plan routes. (Just be aware that the last time I used it abroad, it showed times in the local time zone, so you may need to convert - or temporarily change your device time zone).

We will be in Oslo in August on the Celebrity Apex. I have been considering the Brim Explorer which is a 2 hour fjord cruise before touring the city. Has anyone done this? If so was it enjoyable?

It is a long day in port for us so we would still have plenty of time for seeing the sites in the city.

On 5/10/2023 at 8:40 PM, Mickey22 said:

We will be in Oslo in August on the Celebrity Apex. I have been considering the Brim Explorer which is a 2 hour fjord cruise before touring the city. Has anyone done this? If so was it enjoyable?

It is a long day in port for us so we would still have plenty of time for seeing the sites in the city.

You will be sailing in and out of port through the same waterways that are typically visited on the fjord cruises, so if you’re considering it for the scenery, that’s something to keep in mind.

If you just want to take a ride on the boat, I have been on it as part of an evening event. It’s comfortable with plenty of seating and outside deck space, and the ride is smooth and quiet. I’m not sure what the food and drink options are like since our trip was catered and included an open bar.

Though the boat is a somewhat interesting design, I’d personally choose to do something else with that time, since you’re cruising through the Oslofjord twice that day already.

On 5/9/2023 at 10:30 PM, kaisatsu said:

There are multiple ports in Oslo. You can find the pier assignments here: https://www.oslohavn.no/globalassets/oslo-havn/dokumenter/cruise/20230506-cruiseanlop-.pdf

If you’re at Akershuskai, you can take the tourist ferry to Bygdøy from nearby in front of the city hall. From the first stop, it’s about ten minutes straight up the road. Alternatively, you can walk past the city hall to the Nationaltheatret bus stop and take bus #30 towards Bygdøy. The bus runs every 10 minutes and has a stop right at the Folk Museum (Folkmuseet).

From Revierkaia, walk along the waterfront towards the library and central station, and there’s a 30 bus stop on Tollbugata in front of the stock exchange (Borsen).

Filipstadkaia is less convenient. There isn’t much in the area, and it’s hemmed in by the highway. The transit app suggests taking the pedestrian bridge over the highway and walking ~15 minutes to Solli to catch the 30 bus.

I highly recommend downloading the Ruter transit app, as it lets you buy tickets, see real-time departure info, and plan routes. (Just be aware that the last time I used it abroad, it showed times in the local time zone, so you may need to convert - or temporarily change your device time zone).

Thank you for this info. Do you think we will have enough time to get there, spend sometime there and get back to the ship for 2.45pm?

12 hours ago, Jessica60 said:

Thank you for this info. Do you think we will have enough time to get there, spend sometime there and get back to the ship for 2.45pm?

What ship and day in port? The pier assignment will make a difference in how long it takes to get out there.

I would typically spend 2-3 hours at a leisurely pace for an in-depth visit, so if you go in the morning, you should be fine. The bus from downtown takes around 20 minutes, so with max waiting time, that’s 30 each way.

11 hours ago, kaisatsu said:

What ship and day in port? The pier assignment will make a difference in how long it takes to get out there.

I would typically spend 2-3 hours at a leisurely pace for an in-depth visit, so if you go in the morning, you should be fine. The bus from downtown takes around 20 minutes, so with max waiting time, that’s 30 each way.

Disney dream

On 5/9/2023 at 10:30 PM, kaisatsu said:

On 5/17/2023 at 10:39 PM, Jessica60 said:

Disney dream

The day also matters, since Disney Dream will be using multiple ports during the season. But based on your 14:45 return time, I’m guessing you’re there on either 7 Aug or 7 Sep, which means you’d be docking at Akershus. That makes things easier as it has better transit connections.

The museum opens at 10:00, so if you go early, you should have plenty of time for a visit. There is a cafe on site, or you can pack a lunch (“You are welcome to bring your own food. Picnic tables are available at the Festival Grounds.”). Most convenience stores, coffee shops, and bakeries in the city sell premade sandwiches. There are a few around the port area and Nationaltheatret bus stop.

If you take the ferry over, be aware that the return trip is slightly longer as it is a loop with another stop before the return to the harbor.

Also keep in mind that it’s an open-air museum with large grounds. The Norwegian saying is that there is no bad weather, only bad clothing. So be sure to pack some good rain gear or have a plan B! 😉 

The day also matters, since Disney Dream will be using multiple ports during the season. But based on your 14:45 return time, I’m guessing you’re there on either 7 Aug or 7 Sep, which means you’d be docking at Akershus. That makes things easier as it has better transit connections.

The museum opens at 10:00, so if you go early, you should have plenty of time for a visit. There is a cafe on site, or you can pack a lunch (“You are welcome to bring your own food. Picnic tables are available at the Festival Grounds.”). Most convenience stores, coffee shops, and bakeries in the city sell premade sandwiches. There are a few around the port area and Nationaltheatret bus stop.

If you take the ferry over, be aware that the return trip is slightly longer as it is a loop with another stop before the return to the harbor.

Also keep in mind that it’s an open-air museum with large grounds. The Norwegian saying is that there is no bad weather, only bad clothing. So be sure to pack some good rain gear or have a plan B! 😉 

Thank you so much for this. Yes, we are there 7th August. We really want to visit this museum, it looks amazing. It is a shame it is such a short stay in port. Sorry to ask another question but as I am worried about getting back to the ship in time, I may take the ferry there but get a taxi back. 

Do you know if there is a taxi rank outside the Folk Museum? Or where to get one back to the ship? How much is the taxi likely to cost? 

Thanks again.