Premium Drinks

Truro001

When we were on Spirit of Adventure for the Eastern Mediterranean cruise in May/June 2022  Saga included the premium drinks package on this and some other selected cruises.  We understand that the Premium drinks package is included in all 2023 sailings but we wondered if Saga are including the Premium drinks package on their Christmas cruises with the Spirit of Adventure and Spirit of Discovery. Does anybody happen to know whether these particular cruises are amongst the ”selected” cruises?

Nice to hear from you how are you doing , when are you going. We've madly booked Carribean in Nov

In 2023 it will be premium SPIRITS, which won't include  premium wine.

The premium drinks including premium wine on Eastern med cruise was a lucky c*ckup . We we told spirits initially,  however when they phoned up about new intinerary over phone some people were told/offered premium drinks. Which once on board they insisted on that drinks included wine. Hence we got premium wine for free. 

Can't see them making that mistake again.  Odd policy  can have an 18year old malt, but average plonk with dinner.

Many thanks for the feedback. Some months ago  I was told by Saga that "Selected" cruises in 2022 would have the Premium package but at that time they couldn't say which cruises had been "Selected".   Good to hear from you Windsurf boy. All is well with us. We thoroughly enjoyed the Eastern Med cruise (plus Premium drinks) and are about to sail on the Discovery for the Christmas cruise as too is JoJo1947. Enjoy the Caribbean in November. 

We are on the Spirit of Adventure at the moment and no premium spirits here which is a little disappointing, the whisky and brandy are poor quality. The wines are ok but nothing special and are being repeated after only a few days at sea. That said we are impressed with the ship, we have never sailed with SAGA previously and are enjoying it, Mr Motivator is doing daily classes which are great.The entertainment team do not perform very often, about once a week but are good. Hope the drinks improve after the first of January but I somehow doubt it!

• 3 weeks later...

A couple of examples are,

Pouilly Fuisse £22

Chablis £19

Sancerre £19

these prices are very reasonable indeed

There are only a couple of Rose’s

Chateau Roubine Cru Classe £17

Trentino Pinot Grigio Rose £18

the included wines are ok but very limited choice of only 3 or 4 and 2 Rose’s

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

Any premium wines by the glass? 

I asked this question some time ago on another thread, and it appeared that they were not available by the glass, although with luck things might have changed (I am a glass half-full person). I sometimes like white with the starter and red with the main course, so buying a whole bottle (or two) of premium wine can be a bit too much of a good thing (or so my GP says), so I'm very much in favour of being able to buy by the glass. In early bumf about the Spirit of Discovery it did say that premium wines would be available by the bottle and by the glass, but then it also said that the Living Room would become a champagne bar in the evenings and that didn't happen.

Selling premium wines (or at least some of them) by the glass would increase the demands on the waiting staff, and with current difficulties hiring staff it might be considered a bit tricky to offer this at present. But it would certainly be regarded favourably by many Saganauts and I would most certainly take advantage of it , were it to be offered in the future.

This is what Saga currently says online about wines on the Spirit of Discovery. As with books (or the lack thereof) in the library, the descriptions and reality don't agree. 

Wine included

A choice of house red, white, rose and sparkling wines will be available throughout your cruise, at no extra charge. In addition, there'll be a hand-picked connoisseur selection to purchase both by the glass and by the bottle.

Thanks,  I'm like Vivaldi, like a wine to go with each course. But couldn't drink two bottles even if I  spread it out over two days. No every day for a months cruise.

Once it gets nearer to my cruise I will confront Mr Blanks with the difference between website and reality

Sorry, the wifi on the ship has been down for a day or two, no sign of whispering angel unfortunately, as my Wife loves it, I think that the premium wines are all bottle prices only apart from Sauternes which is £2.40 a glass.

On 1/4/2023 at 12:13 PM, Vivaldi said:

In early bumf about the Spirit of Discovery it did say that premium wines would be available by the bottle and by the glass, but then it also said that the Living Room would become a champagne bar in the evenings and that didn't happen.

Maybe the library will be repurposed as a champagne bar. 🙂

2 hours ago, Denarius said:

Maybe the library will be repurposed as a champagne bar.

Excellent idea! Since Saga described the library as a booklover's paradise, they could describe the champagne bar as a drinker's paradise. 

On 1/2/2023 at 4:04 PM, ARDXXX said:

Just to let you know that the premium drinks did indeed start last night, malt whisky, Armagnac, Bombay sapphire gin etc, Cheers!

We have Mr Motivator back on board as well for the return trip

Only spirits

• Like 1

The drinks included on the 'luxury' lines are similar to the Saga offering, in that they offer better spirits - rated gins, the odd single malt whisky and decent cognac etc.,  but their wines are of a similar standard to those on Saga.  However, they do all have far more choices of wines.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, lincslady said:

The drinks included on the 'luxury' lines are similar to the Saga offering, in that they offer better spirits - rated gins, the odd single malt whisky and decent cognac etc.,  but their wines are of a similar standard to those on Saga.  However, they do all have far more choices of wines.

Wines are not premium in the drinks package just spirits 

• Like 1