MS Rotterdam Caribbean cruise

cruising oceangal

14 hours ago, Crew News said:

It is my plan to do a live thread for this cruise to receive and answer questions for those who will be boarding in the future.  Since this will be my first Rotterdam experience, I will take lots of ship photos, collect every menu/brochure possible, interview crew members, evaluate my excursions, and give my impressions as compared to other HAL ships.

Which sailing are you on?

24 minutes ago, Charlene1985 said:

I am on Jan 4 for 10.  Would love to have met you.  Your posts are very helpful. 

I have five future cruises booked so our paths may cross on one of them.  Make sure you ask lots of questions during your planning.

29 minutes ago, Crew News said:

I have five future cruises booked so our paths may cross on one of them.  Make sure you ask lots of questions during your planning.

This will probably be our only cruise for 2023.  We ski in February and spend our summers fixing stuff at our lake house…and sometimes enjoying our time there as well.  😂😂

Hoping to do an Auckland—> Sydney cruise March 2024if our vacation schedule from work cooperates.  

23 hours ago, pirate cruiser said:

Personally I don't want to know the menus ahead of time-part of the anticipation of cruising is discovering what is available each day.

I SO agree with you!  Live dangerously!  Must everything be planned?  JMHO.

• Like 2

On 12/14/2022 at 7:13 PM, Crew News said:

Here is a link to the Caribbean 11-Day MDR menus (all ships) an the first five days of the 10-Day menus are the same.  Note that days 02 or 03 may be Gala Nights depending on the applicable port schedules.  Lido Market posting soon.

Caribbean 2023 11-Day MDR Menus

This can vary depending on the port schedule. On our January 25 and February 15 cruises, both 10 day, the first Gala Night will likely not be until the first Sea Day. Which is not until Day 5. 

43 minutes ago, canadarocks said:

This can vary depending on the port schedule. On our January 25 and February 15 cruises, both 10 day, the first Gala Night will likely not be until the first Sea Day. Which is not until Day 5. 

For my last seven Caribbean cruises, Gala Night has been on the second or third cruise day  whether it is a full sea day or a stop at Half Moon Cay.

The Rotterdam menus I have downloaded so far have Gala night on the 11-Day cruise on the third day at sea with the 10-Day cruise Gala Night on the second day at sea.

10 minutes ago, Crew News said:

For my last seven Caribbean cruises, Gala Night has been on the second or third cruise day  whether it is a full sea day or a stop at Half Moon Cay.

The Rotterdam menus I have downloaded so far have Gala night on the 11-Day cruise on the third day at sea with the 10-Day cruise Gala Night on the second day at sea.

Not doubting you, but the January 25th itinerary mirrors the Rotterdam’s first 10 day 2022 Caribbean cruise at the end of October, beginning of November. First gala night was on Day 5, the first Sea Day. I was surprised as well. 

2 minutes ago, canadarocks said:

Not doubting you, but the January 25th itinerary mirrors the Rotterdam’s first 10 day 2022 Caribbean cruise at the end of October, beginning of November. First gala night was on Day 5, the first Sea Day. I was surprised as well. 

Current 10-Day cruise served the Gala Silver menu on the second day at sea but I cannot confirm that it was a Gala Night.  Of course, the ship has the option to change days.

On 12/18/2022 at 1:56 PM, canadarocks said:

Here is a link to the 10-Day Caribbean MDR Menus:  Caribbean 2023 MDR 10-Day Menus

I realize that for certain itineraries those day's menus will definitely be the case. But, for example, on both of our upcoming 10-Day Caribbean cruises, on Day 7 we are in port until 11:00pm (once in Aruba and once in Curacao). So I am pretty certain they will not be Gala Nights. 

21 minutes ago, canadarocks said:

I realize that for certain itineraries those day's menus will definitely be the case. But, for example, on both of our upcoming 10-Day Caribbean cruises, on Day 7 we are in port until 11:00pm (once in Aruba and once in Curacao). So I am pretty certain they will not be Gala Nights. 

Thanks.  I added a caveat that the menu sequence is fixed but that Gala Nights could vary based on lat port time.

On 12/20/2022 at 1:42 PM, Zanne208 said:

Thank you😁

Someone needs to tell the Chef, I have been bragging for months about having Creme Brule(sp) almost every night, and I don't see it listed for 2023😪.

How could he or she do that to me?  Lol, ok really I'm not laughing, I'm bummed.  Isn't this cruise all about me?  🤣

5 minutes ago, Zanne208 said:

Someone needs to tell the Chef, I have been bragging for months about having Creme Brule(sp) almost every night, and I don't see it listed for 2023😪.

How could he or she do that to me?  Lol, ok really I'm not laughing, I'm bummed.  Isn't this cruise all about me?  🤣

If you eat in the Pinnacle Grill, you can have it every time.

8 hours ago, Zanne208 said:

, I have been bragging for months about having Creme Brule(sp) almost every night, and I don't see it listed for 2023

On the Oosterdam in November the Executive Pastry chef made crème brûlée during her cooking demonstration.  Recipes and samples were distributed.  When you are on the ship, send a message on the Navigator app, ask your server and if you see someone in a chef’s hat, ask her.  

• Like 1

We embarked Rotterdam on Dec 11th. On board for 45 days, disembarking on Jan 25th 2023.

We left FLL yesterday (Wed) 

Today the trivia is back to 1 pm and 7 pm.

Afternoon tea is at 3 pm.

Tonight is Dressy Night. 2nd day. At sea. 

We have over 400 kids onboard for the holiday. It seems they all showed up for the tree lighting ceremony last night.. Most will disembark on Dec 28th.

We were on board last year as well (32 days) and we avoided Lido unless we went early in the morning. Read and had drinks in the Crow's Nest, trivia, then drinks in Ocean Bar before dinner. It wasn't so "kid busy" if you know where to go. 😉

There are some comfy chairs with blankets in the Library and you can bring a cup of tea or whatever and watch the waves in quiet.

Hope that helps. 

1221221914_HDR.thumb.jpg.b525f3d1dcee35fecd791ae3aad9cdf6.jpg536569533_1221221710b2.thumb.jpg.dd3e2de6da41f04b9012867bb0533a92.jpg

Edited by Seasick Sailor
Add
  • Like 2