RCCL and Johnny Rocket's

Ret MP

9 hours ago, graciekelli said:

I wish they'd change it to an In-N-Out.  

All of those fast food burger chains begin to look & taste alike after awhile.  Time to think out of the box and go with a Panera Bread or Quizno's 

Or better yet, bring back the old Seaview Cafe instead of those corporate, commercial joints that can be found in every mall and strip mall in the world.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

All of those fast food burger chains begin to look & taste alike after awhile.  Time to think out of the box and go with a Panera Bread or Quizno's 

Or better yet, bring back the old Seaview Cafe instead of those corporate, commercial joints that can be found in every mall and strip mall in the world.

My new fast food, that isn't, Chinese.  Not the kind that serves bait or throws shrimp at you and you've got to catch it in your mouth, either.  Don't get me wrong, I love the Hibachi.

Also, Mexican, I love Mexican, even Taco Bell.  But, I do really love the small Ma & Pa Mexican Restaurants the best.  

9 hours ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

JR seems like a holdover from the older, smaller ships when your food choices (other than maybe an upscale restaurant with a surcharge) were pretty much the MDR, WJ, pizza, or Cafe Promenade.  It was a bit of a niche back then but unnecessary (and unappealing for many due to the surcharge for mediocre food) with all the food options on the Oasis class and newer ships.

Not sure if RC has a long-term franchise/license agreement they're stuck in or just doesn't care, but JR seems like a relic whose ship has sailed (pun semi-intended).

Rundown outdated decor and equipment. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ret MP said:

My new fast food, that isn't, Chinese.  Not the kind that serves bait or throws shrimp at you and you've got to catch it in your mouth, either.  Don't get me wrong, I love the Hibachi.

Also, Mexican, I love Mexican, even Taco Bell.  But, I do really love the small Ma & Pa Mexican Restaurants the best.  

El Loco Fresh is our new fav. We ate there 6 out of 8 days on a recent cruise. It is fresh and excellent. IMHO

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mikew0805 said:

Yep, I was not arguing with your either, just mentioning mine. I think you meant El Loco Fresh & Guys not Sabor & Playmakers. That threw me off for a minute, but that is not hard to do right now because I am also working at this time. 

I will say, I have considered going back to JR to see if their grilled chicken club sandwich is any good. Do you have any thoughts on that? (I like the Playmakers one, so it may not make sense to try it.)

I never order chicken in a burger joint.

5 minutes ago, fredmdcruisers said:

Rarely in our experiences.

Too bad, that was always their thing.  Kinda the only reason to go there. Except for breakfast on Oasis-class ships. That was always pretty good. 

21 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Does the staff still sing & dance? 

Never happened, that I saw, on Independence a few weeks ago.  But, the location of it isn't conducive to drawing a crowd like Oasis Class.  

Edited by Ret MP
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, fredmdcruisers said:

Is bkfst free?

Yes, breakfast is free but the menu has changed post covid.  Menu has gotten really limited.  They are no longer serving omelets, they have added three different scrambles with stuff in them.  My DH tried one and it was okay, not great.  

• Thanks 1

Just now, reallyitsmema said:

Yes, breakfast is free but the menu has changed post covid.  Menu has gotten really limited.  They are no longer serving omelets, they have added three different scrambles with stuff in them.  My DH tried one and it was okay, not great.  

How do you want your eggs?

1.  Scrambled

2.  Scrambled

3.  Scrambled

And off Menu and you know the secret code

4.  Scrambled

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

?

Based upon what you said about the limited menu and only have scrambled eggs offered, that is what I imagine (humor) the server would say when saying what is available.  

5 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

Based upon what you said about the limited menu and only have scrambled eggs offered, that is what I imagine (humor) the server would say when saying what is available.  

I did not say they only have scrambled eggs, I said they added scrambles with stuff in them, big difference.  There is one that has just vegetables in it and cheese and a couple others with meat and vege combinations.  Omelets are gone, which was the big draw on Oasis class ships as there are very few places that you can get an omelet.  They still have eggs any style, pancakes and french toast.  There are now a couple of pay options too.

5 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

I did not say they only have scrambled eggs, I said they added scrambles with stuff in them, big difference.  There is one that has just vegetables in it and cheese and a couple others with meat and vege combinations.  Omelets are gone, which was the big draw on Oasis class ships as there are very few places that you can get an omelet.  They still have eggs any style, pancakes and french toast.  There are now a couple of pay options too.

So blt with fried egg?

4 minutes ago, fredmdcruisers said:

So blt with fried egg?

That partial menu above shows that sandwich but I don't remember that on our recent Oasis sailing.  Radio did a two week live review immediately before our sailing that had pictures of all the menus.  If you look for that review you should be able to see the whole menu.  In the past, we have always been able to get fresh squeezed OJ there too and they said they don't do that anymore as they don't have a machine.  They never had a machine there though, they used to get pitchers of it from the MDR.

10 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

Ya, you know what, never mind.  The attempt at humor went right pass ya.  

• Haha 1

On 12/14/2022 at 10:52 AM, Ret MP said:

Really?  Did you actually read it?

As an aside, I laughed hard at this comment, considering you usually start many of your posts stating that you haven't read what others have had to say.  So why would you actually expect others to extend that courtesy and read yours?

• "As usual, I haven't read every post in this thread.  So, excuse me if I repeat what someone else may have said."
  • "Once again I haven't read all posts in this thread.  So, excuse me if this has already been posted."
  • "I haven't read every post in this thread, especially the last 3 pages."

(I'll stop at three quotes from you.)

But staying on topic, JR's on Harmony last week was very disappointing.  

Breakfast was an assembly station of premade food except for eggs and toast.  I ordered the breakfast burger from the PREMIUM section of the menu and expected to hear the patty sizzle on the grill.  Nope:  premade and warmed up in an egg pan.  

An early dinner where I ordered a burger and just a hot dog was also disappointing.  While they grilled the burger, it was nothing special at all, and the hot dog was the same low quality hot dog in every other outlet on the ship.

IF this is what JR's is really like on land, I'd pass it by.

As for Coco Cay, it's a great stop.  There's plenty of things to do --both free and for a fee.  RCI has made a tremendous investment here and I doubt it will leave itineraries for quite some time if ever.

8 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

Found it.

40_OAPICS.jpg.d63f46b9d03a5d0991fc2243f81a5821.jpg

I'm fairly new to Royal- we've only done a mini cruise on Indy a while back but booked to go on Oasis.

Does JR get very busy for breakfast if its free? Just thinking about options that might be easier to manage with a toddler than the windjammer? Or is it crazy busy with long waits

1 hour ago, PWP-001 said:

But staying on topic, JR's on Harmony last week was very disappointing.  

Breakfast was an assembly station of premade food except for eggs and toast.  I ordered the breakfast burger from the PREMIUM section of the menu and expected to hear the patty sizzle on the grill.  Nope:  premade and warmed up in an egg pan.  

I completely agree.  Went to JRs for breakfast on one of the Oasis class ships because I wanted an omelet and I think the only other place to get one was the MDR.

Anyway, they sat me at the counter because I was by myself, so I watched them assemble (not cook) breakfast.  Everything, except eggs and toast as you said, was precooked and came out of a hotbox and directly onto the plate.  And this was pre-COVID, before they could blame shortcuts and poor service on understaffing.

Altogether, a pretty mediocre experience, and from where I sat the sanitation looked a little sketchy.