What's the appeal of the thermal spa?

pookel

On 12/16/2022 at 11:16 AM, Laszlo said:

The time limit on the heated loungers is 30 minutes. I have to admit I've fallen asleep more than once on them and went over the time limit Lol

Time limit? We couldn't even get to use them or a lounger on the Dawn. Went early but all seats were taken. Funny thing was only 5 people were there at the time. Same thing all week phones, books, towels, not many people. Did ask the attendant and was told they would be back and no they couldn't move anything. Did like the pool but was a little loud in there for us. Friends the month before loved it though, us we will stick to the Enclave on Princess.

11 minutes ago, latebloomer56 said:

Time limit? We couldn't even get to use them or a lounger on the Dawn. Went early but all seats were taken. Funny thing was only 5 people were there at the time. Same thing all week phones, books, towels, not many people. Did ask the attendant and was told they would be back and no they couldn't move anything. Did like the pool but was a little loud in there for us. Friends the month before loved it though, us we will stick to the Enclave on Princess.

Move those people's junk! If I see a lounger is unattended after thirty minutes, their junk goes in the floor. I may or may not place it near a puddle. I've never had anyone come at me about it. I'm sure someone would and I'll be sure to use my noise canceling headphones at that time. 

• Like 2

On 12/15/2022 at 10:34 AM, Laszlo said:

Here's a couple tours....  The Escape has a snow room. Its about 22F with a small snow machine inside it

I watched both videos. The first time I was in a thermal spa was on the NCL Epic when the Epic was new. I don't recall a snow room on Epic but everything else looks the same from what I can recall of the Epic thermal spa. It was fabulous.

• Like 1

On 12/15/2022 at 10:01 AM, 1025cruise said:

In my opinion, the value is the quiet space. No crowds. No fighting kids for the hot tub. And it's cooler than sitting on deck.

i agree. Once upon a time used to be a lot quieter but now some people have to be told they are in a spa in order for them to be quiet. We enjoy how warm the Spa is kept but on our last cruise on the Escape we had to use our towels as blankets it was kept really cold in there and when we asked why apparently because of complaints that it was kept too warm in there LOL...so to each its own i guess.

It's a must on every sailing. Grab a book, relax, have small conversation, rest my bones..... nothing like coming back from an excursion and  hitting up the thermal spa before the evening begins.  Im not much of a fan of the sun, and this gives that peace and quiet when you don't feel like being around crowds.

• Like 2

It's very much a personal thing whether there's value in it for you.

We paid for it one sailing. We only used it for a total of about 4 hours. I thought we'd use it more in the evenings as a wind-down before bed. But it felt like too much work to change and go there, so we didn't. We just used it to relax for a few hours on some sea days and read in the quiet. The water features felt good and the heated loungers were nice. That was on ships that didn't have great public quiet reading space (older ships), so there was some value in just having a quiet space for us. 

It's not really on my list to do again on a warm-weather itinerary. I'd consider it for early or late season Alaska, but it's not a priority for us. 

Edited by weltek

Like weltak - for me, the cruise itinerary is a defining factor. Northern Atlantic TAs, Alaska, Northern Europe I want the thermal spa; Caribbean, Panama canal, southern Med warm weather cruises I dont use the Spa enough to spend the money for it. I might go for the Vibe if there is a lot of kids onboard instead. My tolerance of kids has declined in recent decades.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bugtyler2 said:

How much does the pass for a week cost? On Encore

Probably will depend on the sailing and length of the cruise. We are on Encore, 7 nights, 2/12/23-we pre- booked at $299 per person for the week.

The Thermal suite is generally a must for us, but the price is going up so much.   Tried to get a spa room as it was cheaper then combo but missed that boat this next Feb cruise. It is great on the bigger ships, a lot of room and therapy pool/saunas.  I love the ambiance but some of the older ships are looking a little ragged/rusty in areas.  I do not tend to stay long on the heated beds, enough till I am dry then move to lounger and pop in airpods and surf net etc, till I start trying to catch flys.  Generally we are in there in morning with the intention of getting there in afternoon/evening but like others have said seems like too much work to get there.  I am going to make effort to do that this next cruise in Feb.  I love that it is away from the masses, with your own private pool/spa and no kids.  I will say I have made the mistake of being loud in the hot tub when talking to new friend, had to yell over sounds of jets and therapy pool, then I realized I was yelling and bothering others, whoops.  I had hard time swallowing the price this next cruise, I use to pay $199 for 7 days, this is a 5 day and am paying $239, Inflation/covid is awful.  It should be interesting, we have not taken an NCL cruise in a bit, been on RC and Celebrity.  All showing signs of under staffing/new and a little loss of entertainment.  I am hearing NCL is cutting a lot of the better entertainment/activities and I hope that is not the case.  It is hard to swallow paying more for less.  Sorry went on a rant.  Love the thermal suite, do not see that going away just more money.  It is like my little Haven when not staying in the Haven, makes me feel good not to be in the people soup/battle at the pool.

• Like 1