Sun Princess - Original

nasa1974

Anyone have any news or speculation on when more pictures and details about the Sun Princess will be announced?  Hoping we get some more updates relatively soon. I know the ship doesn't sail for about 10 months so there is lots of time, but hard not to want to see the build progress and they still have a few areas not formally announced.

17 minutes ago, fpsphil said:

We are booked in 09105

Right on the other side. A little concerned about being so far forward so might see if we can change later. Not asking planner yet cause we changed twice already lol!!

9 minutes ago, rmsmith said:

Anyone have any news or speculation on when more pictures and details about the Sun Princess will be announced?  Hoping we get some more updates relatively soon. I know the ship doesn't sail for about 10 months so there is lots of time, but hard not to want to see the build progress and they still have a few areas not formally announced.

There is a video on YouTube from about a month ago where a woman does a tour with the head engineer. It is about 35 minutes long and very detailed 

54 minutes ago, mlmbar said:

There is a video on YouTube from about a month ago where a woman does a tour with the head engineer. It is about 35 minutes long and very detailed 

Yes, that was summarised earlier in this thread in post #93  

1 hour ago, rmsmith said:

Not seen anything else on Sun Princess other than the 2025 itineraries being announced last Friday at the Star Princess naming launch event in Southampton which I attended.  Not to namedrop, but I had a quick chat with John Padgett who said he had come directly from the shipyard so hopefully there will be some more official news released on the build progress since it's been 2 months since the last PR update.

Edited by dides

10 hours ago, fpsphil said:

We booked a reserve Cabana as far forward as possible on deck 9. Crossing fingers we don’t have the high glass like is shown in the renders

We are in a reserve Cabana room in front of the Cabana deck, so we are also hoping the renders are not correct as we like to look down at the water.

Edited by Mary Ann 2

1 hour ago, dides said:

Not seen anything else on Sun Princess other than the 2025 itineraries being announced last Friday at the Star Princess naming launch event in Southampton which I attended.  Not to namedrop, but I had a quick chat with John Padgett who said he had come directly from the shipyard so hopefully there will be some more official news released on the build progress since it's been 2 months since the last PR update.

I'll keep my fingers cross!  I figure you wouldn't want to say too much right around the Star announcement about the Sun so as to not take away from the Star news.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dides said:

Yes, that was summarised earlier in this thread in post #93  

2 hours ago, mlmbar said:

The video and summary post were great, just feels like so long ago at this point even though it really isn't a long period of time especially in a multi-year build process.

40 minutes ago, Mary Ann 2 said:

We are in a reserve Cabana room in front of the Cabana deck, so we are also hoping the renders are not correct as we like to look down at the water.

This was very confusing until I looked at that YouTube video and there is a part where the engineer is on the sun deck and you can see the cabana mini suites that are right on the sun deck. They sit back from the ocean This is what we had at first. Also, a friend commented that it looks similar to the Havana deck on Carnival where people can walk in front of your cabin because it doesn’t sit right on the ocean but rather fairly far back because the sun deck is between the mini suites and the ocean. We then had our planner move us to the cabana mini suites on either side of the sun deck. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, dides said:

Not seen anything else on Sun Princess other than the 2025 itineraries being announced last Friday at the Star Princess naming launch event in Southampton which I attended.  

Actually, Princess did have a different rendering for O'Malley's Irish Pub on Sun Princess on display at the Southampton event and it has Guinness on the tables! (excuse the real plant leaf creeping in at the corner, lol):

sun-omalleys-real.thumb.jpg.e20765c59ee2a0081b2433c0befac2aa.jpg

Edited by dides
  • Like 2

Note to less experienced cruisers: Always check out the deck plan before you find yourself in a cabin that eventually frustrates your expectations.

Lucky enough, I had a brilliant TA before I started organizing cruises all by myself. Hope y´all be happy with your staterooms.

I´m paying a shoot load of money this time and hope that deck 12 CA cabin is gonna be worth it. If not, I´ll go back to booking NCL inside studios 😄. Those are actually pretty good, btw.

1 hour ago, Nemanoxer said:

Note to less experienced cruisers: Always check out the deck plan before you find yourself in a cabin that eventually frustrates your expectations.

Lucky enough, I had a brilliant TA before I started organizing cruises all by myself. Hope y´all be happy with your staterooms.

I´m paying a shoot load of money this time and hope that deck 12 CA cabin is gonna be worth it. .

With a new build - there is always the risk of the unknown though. You can certainly follow the standard cabin selection rules of avoiding those above/below/near public spaces or crew areas but there are always the odd gotchas (like soot on the Aft Royal-class balconies or being totally overlooked from above).

I'm intrigued about:

- the different balconies on the dome - what makes some premium and some not

- if anyone has a good wake view apart from the accessible deluxe balconies

- which balconies overlook the sea directly rather than decks, other balconies or will you be standing with your nose up against a high glass balcony

- are those premium deluxe balconies that look back on the standard balconies worth having

- any drawbacks from having a cove balcony so close to the sea

- what do you get to do in your extra cabana space...just recline on the sofa  

- and yes, what is it like being stared at on your "balcony" by other cabana guests from the deck 😀

Edited by dides
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

On deck 9, people will be walking right by your balcony and secondly, the only way to see the water is in the horizon.

Personally, I like a balcony that I can look straight down and see the water. Sun Princess doesn’t offer this.  So we’re located in deck 10 with only a balcony below us. Still not the greatest however, we had no choice. 

Edited by DHP1

The cabins mid ship on deck 9 that are ON the sun deck will have people walking in front of them and are not on the ocean. The cabins forward and on the other end of the sun deck are right on the ocean 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, mlmbar said:

The cabins mid ship on deck 9 that are ON the sun deck will have people walking in front of them and are not on the ocean. The cabins forward and on the other end of the sun deck are right on the ocean 

That is true.
Our Mediterranean cruise next year is “so expensive” we selected a deluxe cabin instead. It’s only a place to sleep and shower and having a drink or two sitting in balcony. 

Edited by DHP1

1 hour ago, DHP1 said:

On deck 9, people will be walking right by your balcony and secondly, the only way to see the water is in the horizon.

Personally, I like a balcony that I can look straight down and see the water. Sun Princess doesn’t offer this.  So we’re located in deck 10 with only a balcony below us. Still not the greatest however, we had no choice. 

Well, that is not everywhere on deck 9. Still bad enough for those who are there. Unless they are able to give a frigg about it.

I was also tempted to book deck 10 instead, but thought deck 9 will be very lively in the later evening. So I went up to 12, hoping eventual noise mixes with the ocean's.

There no question about it, Sun Princess and Star will be different from other Princess cruise ships however, we’ll give it a try and see. Who knows, we may enjoy it. 

19 minutes ago, Nemanoxer said:

Well, that is not everywhere on deck 9. Still bad enough for those who are there. Unless they are able to give a frigg about it.

I was also tempted to book deck 10 instead, but thought deck 9 will be very lively in the later evening. So I went up to 12, hoping eventual noise mixes with the ocean's.

The images of deck 10 shows a “slight larger balcony” compare to others balconies higher up so we to book deck 10. I enjoy my morning coffee and evening cocktails out on the balcony. 

Edited by DHP1

8 hours ago, DHP1 said:

The only people that could possibly walk by are the those in the 16 other cabins in the cabana section.  It's not like the entire ship could be walking by.  It's similar to the Havana area on the 3 Vista Class ships on Carnival, which has 13 other cabanas in your section.  There will be gates at both ends of your section and only certain medallions will open them.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

The only people that could possibly walk by are the those in the 16 other cabins in the cabana section.  It's not like the entire ship could be walking by.  It's similar to the Havana area on the 3 Vista Class ships on Carnival, which has 13 other cabanas in your section.  There will be gates at both ends of your section and only certain medallions will open them.

Not so. The other C2 cabins at either end of the sun deck (not on the sundeck) are also reserve cabana mini suites   There are 44 cabins  We don't know how access with be monitored or did I miss some new info?    

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mlmbar said:

Not so. The other C2 cabins at either end of the sun deck (not on the sundeck) are also reserve cabana mini suites   There are 44 cabins  We don't know how access with be monitored or did I miss some new info?    

The C2 cabins are the sections forward (9106-9236) and aft (9324-9358).   The middle section I was referring to are C1 cabins (9238-9320).  The C1 is the Cabana deck, which has the walkway between the edge of the ship and where your cabana ends.  There is no walkway with the C2 cabins.