Sun Princess - Original

nasa1974

On 4/24/2023 at 10:24 PM, HBCcruiser said:

No! The cruise does not even show up on the App. Even after I enter my booking number I get “No Booking Number Found”. 

That's not good.  Has it shown up yet?

On 4/25/2023 at 12:04 PM, Mike07 said:

The ship looks beautiful, and I look forward to Princess adding it to its portfolio... but I fear the nickel and dimeing will increase as it has with Celebrity :(.

Celebrity charges for refundable deposit, room service, much more for specialty restaurants, and gratuity on specialty even though gratuity is included in drink packages . Princess is a long way behind this

8 hours ago, nasa1974 said:

I just logged into the Princess app and when I go to profile, I see all my booked cruises. I have a B2B a family cruise and a B2B. I see them all.

On you on Sun Princess for next year and if so, do you see your Personal Information and Documents?

9 hours ago, mlmbar said:

Celebrity charges for refundable deposit, room service, much more for specialty restaurants, and gratuity on specialty even though gratuity is included in drink packages . Princess is a long way behind this

I wouldn't say "a long way" behind, but it is cheaper than Celebrity in all ways still.  But with all the recent jumps in price on virtually everything, they have certainly learned how to make more by providing nothing more.

And if I'm not wrong, Celebrity only charges for room service from 11pm till 5am or something, so it's not a charge 24 hours.  Unless that has recently changed.

One thing I do like about Celebrity, is you can order from the DR menu and have it delivered.  Would be nice if Princess did the same.

8 minutes ago, kywildcatfanone said:

I wouldn't say "a long way" behind, but it is cheaper than Celebrity in all ways still.  But with all the recent jumps in price on virtually everything, they have certainly learned how to make more by providing nothing more.

And if I'm not wrong, Celebrity only charges for room service from 11pm till 5am or something, so it's not a charge 24 hours.  Unless that has recently changed.

One thing I do like about Celebrity, is you can order from the DR menu and have it delivered.  Would be nice if Princess did the same.

Starting 2023, room service is $9.95 24 hours unless in a suite. Also price of specialty restaurants have increased  I don't think you can order MD menu any more

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kywildcatfanone said:

Interesting.  I'm going to have to check on those.  Thanks!

2 minutes ago, kywildcatfanone said:

Interesting.  I'm going to have to check on those.  Thanks!

I got the info from the Celebrity site. We will be on Equinox in Oct and wanted to know what to expect. We are on Equinox because we wanted to do ABC again, we booked before we experienced Princess, had many many points on RCI credit card and had a nonrefundable deposit. After that cruise, we are done with Celebrity for now   

11 minutes ago, mlmbar said:

I got the info from the Celebrity site. We will be on Equinox in Oct and wanted to know what to expect. We are on Equinox because we wanted to do ABC again, we booked before we experienced Princess, had many many points on RCI credit card and had a nonrefundable deposit. After that cruise, we are done with Celebrity for now 

We are too in October.  We went on Infinity last year and it was nice, but one of the oldest ships, and not refurbished.  We booked one FCD and are using it now.  I find all cruise lines have jacked up prices tremendously on any packages they offer, but Celebrity is still higher than Princess.  And their wifi is terrible generally speaking, but I hope with starlink it will be better, but not seeing that on the celebrity forums.  

Last year on Infinity, you could order room service for no charge, and order from the DR menu, which was nice.  We did it twice.  If they have removed those, that will be a huge bummer.  I was hoping Princess would offer that, a great perk that costs them nothing, so yeah, they won't do that.

13 minutes ago, kywildcatfanone said:

We are too in October.  We went on Infinity last year and it was nice, but one of the oldest ships, and not refurbished.  We booked one FCD and are using it now.  I find all cruise lines have jacked up prices tremendously on any packages they offer, but Celebrity is still higher than Princess.  And their wifi is terrible generally speaking, but I hope with starlink it will be better, but not seeing that on the celebrity forums.  

Last year on Infinity, you could order room service for no charge, and order from the DR menu, which was nice.  We did it twice.  If they have removed those, that will be a huge bummer.  I was hoping Princess would offer that, a great perk that costs them nothing, so yeah, they won't do that.

Totally agree about Celebrity. We are on Equinox for the third time and in the same Aqua class which I know was refurbished when they did a partial refurbishment. Since we booked their prices have ballooned  A mini suite on Princess, which is not available on X, have to skip right from balcony to a suite,  minisuite was comparable to AQ on X or even less.  Supply and demand

Edited by mlmbar
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DHP1 said:

On you on Sun Princess for next year and if so, do you see your Personal Information and Documents?

Currently for my other 3 cruises I do. But I just went into my account this morning for the cruises on the Sun and updated my personal information. As of right now that information doesn't show up on my app. I'll check back later today to see if it is there.

In the Medallion App, I can see my count down (414 days for me!), my travel companions, and the port guides. But other sections (the most important one being Personal Information & Documents) don't load. Explore the ship doesn't list Sun Princess yet. I'm sure it will all be added before the maiden voyage.

• Like 1

On 4/25/2023 at 10:57 AM, Wishing on a star said:

Mary Ann 2,  that is great that you were able to pick the category cabin!

I would love if you could forward any info that you can offer about how that worked.

Although online it only showed guarantees, when I called our travel agent, she saw multiple rooms available.  There is just something wrong with the online booking engine.  Sometimes when it shows only guarantees, I change to 3 passengers and all of a sudden, there are rooms everywhere!! Unfortunately, I didn't discover this until after I had chosen this year's summer/spring cruise.  All the Alaska cruises wouldn't show any rooms, so we went with another cruise. I am kind of mad as when I eventually learned to try 3 passengers, there were still lots of rooms, but I had already put $ down on a different cruise and gotten a price for air that was too good to give up that late.

• Like 1

Thank you Mary Ann!

It seems that what you saw was that issue going on with Deluxe Balconies.

I think there are TA's who are aware of this, and can do a work-around.

I wish I knew how to get a cabin and area that I want (not a Royal Class Deluxe balcony).

In specific, a deluxe balcony on the Sun Princess. ( all are called 'deluxe on the SUN - so not a separate category for standard or deluxe )

With the amount of blocking, I am having to book a higher deck than we would like, and have changed from a cabin on the forward side of the sphere bumpout to a cabin on the AFT side of the sphere bumpout, in order to get a larger balcony.  We hope that on the aft side any issues with wind when underway will not be too bad.

• Like 3

We booked for late Jan.2025. We chose a Cabana Reserve cabin. Interesting layout. You have a cabana room attached to the cabin & can go through a door to your balcony as well.I like the fact that the Reserve class has its own restaurant. This is something that we have wanted for years. Nice to see Princess offering this to those in better accommodations. We hope the food offered will be better than the MDR, considering the higher fee paid for the better cabin.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, rbtan said:

We booked for late Jan.2025. We chose a Cabana Reserve cabin. Interesting layout. You have a cabana room attached to the cabin & can go through a door to your balcony as well.I like the fact that the Reserve class has its own restaurant. This is something that we have wanted for years. Nice to see Princess offering this to those in better accommodations. We hope the food offered will be better than the MDR, considering the higher fee paid for the better cabin.

We are in the same for October 2024. We are actually on the reserve sun deck. Cannot wait to see these cabins as they evolve

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rbtan said:

MSC, NCL, RCI and Celebrity all have dedicated restaurants for those staying in upgraded cabins.  The question though is whether the menu will be constant like some of the aforementioned are or whether the menu will rotate on a daily basis.

6 minutes ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

MSC, NCL, RCI and Celebrity all have dedicated restaurants for those staying in upgraded cabins.  The question though is whether the menu will be constant like some of the aforementioned are or whether the menu will rotate on a daily basis.

Hopefully the food will be better. If not for the rather poor quality food we'd cruise Princess much more. Mostly we cruise Oceania for the food & none of the useless stuff(photographers/constant stupid announcements, etc)that one sees on Princess & similar lines.

4 minutes ago, rbtan said:

Hopefully the food will be better. If not for the rather poor quality food we'd cruise Princess much more. Mostly we cruise Oceania for the food & none of the useless stuff(photographers/constant stupid announcements, etc)that one sees on Princess & similar lines.

Kind of difficult to compare Oceania with Celebrity and Princess let alone the entry level lines since Oceania is well known for their food.  But then again, there's nothing in the Oceania fleet that's going to compare to the two Sphere Class ships for overall amenities.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, rbtan said:

I'm sure there's no stupid stuff on Oceania but is there regular bingo?

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, rbtan said:

so why  ever chose Princess then?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, rbtan said:

Food was quite good on Sky in November after having been disappointed on Regal Feb 2022. However, Crown Grille was a disappointment and will not go again. We are used to Blu on Celebrity so hoping the Reserve will be similar