Live from the NCL Jewel December 24-31, 2022 with YVRteacher and her Dad

YVRteacher

Enjoy your cruise! You are not missing anything good, weather wise , back home! I’m looking forward to your Jewel experiences as I’m thinking about the reposition from San Diego to YVR via Ketchikan  this spring. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Yikes!!  Glad to hear you made it to SD.  Hopefully smooth sailing from here. 😎  Give Dad our best!  I have a soft spot for grumpy old guys.  I see one in the mirror several times a day.

I can’t wait to cruise with you one day and for you and my dad to meet!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, YVRteacher said:

I can’t wait to cruise with you one day and for you and my dad to meet!

Same here.  I will also add that my DD often sails with us, so I highly respect daughters who tolerate/enjoy/love the old guys!  It would be a better world if this were more common (especially for the old grumps). 😎

• Like 4

So glad you made it!  I'm in South Burnaby, so I've been following your saga.  I was pretty worried that you wouldn't been able to get out of YVR - so that's great that you made it.  And hopefully once your dad gets on the ship, things will get better 🙂  (I don't travel with a grumpy dad, but a grumpy mom so I know what it is like!).

Have an wonderful cruise - and I look forward to following you on your adventures...

Colleen

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Same here.  I will also add that my DD often sails with us, so I highly respect daughters who tolerate/enjoy/love the old guys!  It would be a better world if this were more common (especially for the old grumps). 😎

Any chance you could book the Jewel for Alaska for May 1 and/or 8th 2023??

• Like 2

Today was glorious and wonderful.  We probably walked more than 30000 steps.  After hotel buffet breakfast (we both love this hotel and I’ll give more details once we leave) we ambled along the harbourfront walkway admiring the Midway aircraft carrier,

000F6AA4-5B63-4E72-BC66-8A9851E8C0C2.thumb.jpeg.e00ab38e9889f231090be4ae79e0a6f3.jpeg

the artwork,

94801CE5-958B-4A7E-8CCC-3D8BE9B9E24D.thumb.jpeg.0349ce1d53517ab2b4f0f778dd59edd0.jpeg

49F6335D-2C9E-493E-B783-053CBACB3459.thumb.jpeg.1f992b9f13c635f98254658d6974e473.jpeg

the pelicans and the people with designer dogs (that seems to be a criterion for living in San Diego) before spending the rest of the morning at Seaport Village.  We saw Santa (one of three Santas we waved to today) rode the carousel

B488D00A-9260-42AA-957C-D998D147FAFA.thumb.jpeg.7565dcf050ce197b4a87773bb9eca039.jpeg

(my dad loves carousels and I’ve learned that when he asks me if I want to ride the carousel he’s really telling me he wants to ride.  We have been on the sea glass carousel at Battery Park and the Central Park carousel in NY, the Christmas market carrousel in Vancouver and the San Diego carousel. We always choose the rides that go up and down!)

As the morning ended we took the Green Line trolley to Fashion Valley mall because my dad still hasn’t found Levi’s jeans he likes.  After two pairs he refused to try on any more because he didn’t want to take his shoes off again and we went for lunch at California Pizza Kitchen.  We sat at the bar and shared a tostada pizza.  The bartender had great jeans!

I could tell my dad was running out of steam (malls and crowds can be overwhelming) so we went to See’s then hopped back on the Green Line trolley to go to Old Town.  As I was buying the tickets for the San Diego Trolley my dad asked if he got a discount because he was old.  I said yes.  This made him happy.  He was happier still when the super kind man at See’s chocolates gave us our samples (milk chocolate with vanilla buttercream) then told my dad he liked his shirt!  He was beaming.  It was a different situation when I ordered a few scotchmallow kisses and the man behind the counter said “you must like kisses.” I was blushing instead of beaming!  He was as old as Santa!

We both loved Old Town and appreciated the walking tour, the old buildings and the artwork.

8BF8396A-22F6-48F2-9B2A-B01CE5B5A9EA.thumb.jpeg.81c4420bd6f6c1d8ee338d6321e3a735.jpeg

I especially enjoyed the San Diego wildlife:

ADD0B94C-7D1B-42C7-96A8-F0B10980D16F.thumb.jpeg.001c2fa760520e0d7c747e2a62c8ccb7.jpeg

In between Old Town and dinner we came back to the hotel room.  My dad fell asleep instantly and was snoring away while I read my book (Bruno, Chief of Police by Martin Walker-a travel gift from a friend.) We had to stop at Rite Aid because my dad forgot his deodorant and there was no way we were going to share a cruise ship cabin without deodorant.  We walked to Little Italy and found the same restaurant we loved so much when we were here 5 years ago.  Wow did we ever have a wonderful meal! It was happy hour so I ordered us a bunch of items to share with extra jumbo shrimp for my dad.  The cacio et pepe was exactly like it was in Rome and we spent dinner reminiscing about that trip and cruise out of Civitavecchia.  If you’re ever in San Diego, I highly recommend Davanti Enotica.  I didn’t get photos of everything but here is my drink, the bruschetta and our cannoli. Yum on a plate.

DE8568BE-6B9E-4703-9996-0E1D8CF30C04.thumb.jpeg.841af4b965bce08f747e023cdd608a7f.jpeg620D5B33-60A8-4F3E-A93C-D9A5DA6F3D96.thumb.jpeg.7dfa9cabe480ed71dde9dfd7305f79ce.jpeg1DEDC072-4365-4062-B731-3B459580585E.thumb.jpeg.d84b8d33c129cb31d73117dc61502df9.jpeg

Wanting to walk off dinner, we continued exploring Little Italy before walking back to the hotel.  Settling in for the evening my dad said “that was a spectacular day.”  I said yes it was.  What made it spectacular for you?  He said “we walked a lot, we laughed a lot and I didn’t lose my credit card!”  Always good to know the criteria for a great day!  My dad has decided he could live here.  I am obsessed with the succulents:

9659CE3C-D0AF-4F9F-85B4-0D850D1EBAA0.thumb.jpeg.c7f0e7a84a488e31418ea47afcfcc75a.jpeg

• Like 23

We have experienced the best time in San Diego!  
We both loved the friendly people, especially public transit drivers and staff, the sunshine, cacti, walkability, the hotel, flowers, Christmas music, cleanliness of the city and the food.

This morning we enjoyed a breakfast picnic outside on the pier in the sunshine.  We had bananas and yoghurt from the hotel buffet and coffee from Starbucks using the gift card I found in the snowbank.

We took the bus to Balboa park and spent 6 hours there.  Two things I always aim for when traveling are taking public transit and going to a local market.

My dad snored a lot last night.  He barely remembers anything these days but he remembered me hollering at him at 2am to stop snoring.  He told me that I yelled at him to stop snoring then I started snoring.  I told him that my dainty, delicate snores do not compare to the sounds he was making which were akin to a howler monkey and a trumpeter swan in some sort of brawl.  This is why we stay in a two-bedroom suite when we cruise!!!

• Like 4
  • Haha 14

35 minutes ago, YVRteacher said:

Hi! We have fallen in love with San Diego! Do you have any recommendations or “must dos?”

When I was in San Diego earlier this year, I loved doing the zoo, La Jolla cove, and the Midway. When I go back in April, I'm not quite sure what I'll do, but might do the Midway again.

• Like 1

On the way to dinner tonight I told my dad I had a very important decision to make: should my first drink onboard the Jewel be a mudslide or an Old Fashioned.  He said, “your first drink can not be whiskey! You have to start slowly!”  I gave him my best teacher look and he promptly said “you should have whatever you want!”

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

Tonight’s dinner back at Davanti was truly fabulous and memorable for its deliciousness.  We shared the caprese salad and the rigatoni alla vodka with an enhancement of jumbo shrimp for dad.  He (of course!) had beer and I savoured a glass of Pinot Grigio.  
9CD51FB5-CD83-4451-B868-3E50169530D2.thumb.jpeg.3199716ea8c5601ad3875fa968194fbf.jpeg1390DEC0-651D-476D-B86A-C8AF069F0B7D.thumb.jpeg.045b49ac2e4ee66af0c00c2fb5b13ee6.jpegE81EAB0B-3932-4C30-9EDF-BAD63A836D6B.thumb.jpeg.8dabff39703ee42359542dfefe2b3f08.jpeg

• Like 9

3 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

Hi! We have fallen in love with San Diego! Do you have any recommendations or “must dos?”

I love San Diego, too. 

Your dad might enjoy the Air & Space Museum.  It's in Balboa Park and you can buy tickets by itself or as part of a package.

https://explorer.balboapark.org/index.php?promo=ad

The Maritime Museum is said to be one of the best in the world.  

https://sdmaritime.org/

This whale watching company was founded by a top wildlife photographer.  I haven't been on his tour yet, but it's definitely high on my list of things to do in San Diego. His Instagram is amazing.  

https://www.gonewhalewatching.com

There's a commuter train that travels up the coast.  I know it stops at many beach locations, so there is probably a La Jolla stop.  It's a nice way to see a bit of the California coast. 

There's an IKEA not far from Fashion Island mall.  If you have never been, it's quite an experience.  This doesn't quite compare to the museums, but it is something nearby. 😂😂

There's a Target near Fashion Island too if you need any extra sunscreen or last minute items. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Glad you made it safely to San Diego and are enjoying the city. Local here and we are on the Jewel in April for same itinerary. I will be cruising with my grumpy old dad and a large group of family and friends. Looking forward to hearing about the rest of your trip. 

• Like 1