St. Thomas current taxi situation

tunafish

More a vent post but maybe would be helpful for some to adjust expectations. Went to Sapphire Beach from Crown Bay with friends who had 2 kids 4 and 1y.o. Taxi driver wanted fare from everyone including the 1yo in a strapped carrier, so $68 for a family of 4 one way, I think Megan is $15 pp one way. For 68 bucks you travel in a modified truck with benches that fits 27 pax. So the driver nets $460 with full load for a 20 minute drive that is 8 miles long. I know that the tourists have no other options but I still do not understand how they can get away with it. They have smaller vans but still they are 15 passenger carriers. Driver slammed the brakes to avoid collision and 4 yo hit the forehead against the metal railing of the bench in front of them. Driver's reaction at the end was to "hold them kids tighter". It looks like rental car option exists only at the airport location now. It is a US territory but I guess none of the US DOT regulations regarding public transportation or safety requirements apply there. 

Most of the rental car companies will deliver a vehicle to most anyone anywhere on the island if you contact them in advance, and some can probably deliver same day.

I'll post a list of rental car companies that I copied from another site and post it later in a separate thread.

4 hours ago, Ms411 said:

Most of the rental car companies will deliver a vehicle to most anyone anywhere on the island if you contact them in advance, and some can probably deliver same day.

I'll post a list of rental car companies that I copied from another site and post it later in a separate thread.

that would be awesome. There were two places in heavensight right by the boat and one next to Crown bay but all non existent now.

We were at Havensight pier in May and took  the safari bus taxi to Sapphire Beach for $10pp one way. Just got back from Celebrity cruise and docked at Crown Bay and taxi price was quoted to us $17pp one way!! We did not get off the ship in St Thomas this time. This is ridiculous price increase. 

It was always more to Sapphire from Crown Bay than Havensight, and there was an overall price increase to/from all locations in Oct/Nov 2022. 

Emerald Beach is closer to Crown Bay so taxi fare is much less, and for some, the distance is walkable. Snorkeling not as good, but you may see a turtle. They have nested on that beach some years.