Dress code for evening on Nieuw Amsterdam

rabbit72

2 hours ago, kazu said:

Well I’m a woman so I don’t wear collared shirts and pants.  I often wear a long skirt and top and my matching Birkenstocks on smart casual night.  I am often complimented on my dress and see nothing wrong with wearing Birkenstocks on smart casual night - they are not cheap flip flops - but I wouldn’t call them dressy sandals.  Frankly right now, they and my dress shoes are the only thing I can get on my foot so I don’t have much choice in the matter.

My dressy shoes are usually saved for dressy night unless they happen to match a choice for the evening 😉 

+1 

you aren't the op asking about flip flops.  never compared flip flops to birks, so not sure what the point is.  

5 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Hal doesn’t follow its dress suggestions.  There was a time you couldn’t get into dining venues at night except the lido with shorts.  Now anything goes.  Don’t want to change out of your pj’s, you don’t have to.  Sandals and flips flops would fall into the dressy category for hal now.

😞

5 hours ago, bdd123 said:

Thank but you are pretending hal still has standards.  While they may on long voyages, they certainly didn’t have any on my recent Mexico cruises.  People were wearing pjs into club orange complete with slippers because it’s too difficult to change footwear I guess.  Shorts were also acceptable in the mdr at night, something I’d never seen before on hal.

I would say the dress code is a thing of the past. I see flip flops everywhere, especially on a Caribbean cruise. Recently, I had a table at the 'tea' where I was seated next to a table of four people, two of which were men waring tank-tops wihh their underarm and chest hair on display. 

49 minutes ago, BobbiSox said:

I would say the dress code is a thing of the past. I see flip flops everywhere, especially on a Caribbean cruise. Recently, I had a table at the 'tea' where I was seated next to a table of four people, two of which were men waring tank-tops wihh their underarm and chest hair on display. 

I remember a couple years ago when people said that would never happen, and just like magic it has.  Next stop bathing suits and robes with nothing underneath.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Thank but you are pretending hal still has standards.  While they may on long voyages, they certainly didn’t have any on my recent Mexico cruises.  People were wearing pjs into club orange complete with slippers because it’s too difficult to change footwear I guess.  Shorts were also acceptable in the mdr at night, something I’d never seen before on hal.

I didn't see pjs in Club Orange on last week's Konigsdam. But I was told by a friend that a man sitting behind me at Lincoln Center Stage at night was wearing a bathrobe and a fanny pack. I missed it but was assured this occurred. 

I am still stuck on why in the world I can't wear shorts and look nice enough to eat in the dining room when I can eat at just about every restaurant in Florida or in port in them. Same with sandals. This dress code stuff is archaic. I don't care if people come in naked to be honest. Might liven the place up a little. 

Edited by Reds4life
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Reds4life said:

I am still stuck on why in the world I can't wear shorts and look nice enough to eat in the dining room when I can eat at just about every restaurant in Florida or in port in them. Same with sandals. This dress code stuff is archaic. I don't care if people come in naked to be honest. Might liven the place up a little. 

The 2-3 course chaos meal with no music, no lobster, half staff, and upcharges all over the menu is a tradition you must symbolically honor and be the ultimate NPC in someone else's fantasy world 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Nope, pretending that people in general should.  I mag have to remind the HAL staff of their own dress codes if something l I ke that happens in CO

11 hours ago, kazu said:

Well I’m a woman so I don’t wear collared shirts and pants.  I often wear a long skirt and top and my matching Birkenstocks on smart casual night.  I am often complimented on my dress and see nothing wrong with wearing Birkenstocks on smart casual night - they are not cheap flip flops - but I wouldn’t call them dressy sandals.  Frankly right now, they and my dress shoes are the only thing I can get on my foot so I don’t have much choice in the matter.

My dressy shoes are usually saved for dressy night unless they happen to match a choice for the evening 😉 

+1 

I would certainly hope that Birkenstocks are acceptable. Like you said they are not cheap and are also very much in style. 

• Like 1

Just now, bdd123 said:

Nope, pretending that people in general should.  I mag have to remind the HAL staff of their own dress codes if something l I ke that happens in CO

I don't mean to be mean to you, but after they yes sir, yes sir you, they just laugh at you and do nothing about it.  They think the dress code police are a source of entertainment.  Get to know some crew and they will tell you they don't really care what anyone does as long as they come with money. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Reds4life said:

I would certainly hope that Birkenstocks are acceptable. Like you said they are not cheap and are also very much in style. 

Not cheap does not equate to tasteful attire for evening at Pinnacle.  Birds were in style....that was the 1960s and 1970s.

😉

14 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Hal doesn’t follow its dress suggestions.  There was a time you couldn’t get into dining venues at night except the lido with shorts.  Now anything goes.  Don’t want to change out of your pj’s, you don’t have to.  Sandals and flips flops would fall into the dressy category for hal now.

So true!  A disappointment that HAL has gone to allowing some of what you see now.  My recent cruise there was a man who thought the robe was fine to wear whenever and wherever he wished.  Some in bathing suits in the Lido (no cover at all).  One came to the dance lessons in a swimsuit.  I try to live and let live but really?  HAL used to be a step above but now allows anything to fill a stateroom.  The class of the HAL has truly changed and not for the better. 

4 minutes ago, bdd123 said:

Not cheap does not equate to tasteful attire for evening at Pinnacle.  Birds were in style....that was the 1960s and 1970s.

😉

I wasn't alive for the 1960s and most of the 1970s. Do folks in that generation tend to find enjoyment in judging others? Because probably the reason why people wear an assortment of clothing options nowadays is because they don't judge a person's character or worth based on how they are dressed or what they look like. That's called progress.  

Edited by Reds4life
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

I don't mean to be mean to you, but after they yes sir, yes sir you, they just laugh at you and do nothing about it.  They think the dress code police are a source of entertainment.  Get to know some crew and they will tell you they don't really care what anyone does as long as they come with money. 

whatever... we shall see I always get along great with staff,  so really couldn't care less about this particular comment from you. 

Have a wonderful day!  😉

1 minute ago, bdd123 said:

whatever... we shall see I always get along great with staff,  so really couldn't care less about this particular comment from you. 

Have a wonderful day!  😉

If any other guest went and brought staff to complain about my footwear security would be involved and they'd be off at the next port for targeted harassment. Some people are just wild; you don't behave that way in the real world, do you??? Doubtful. You don't have to care, like it, accept it, believe me, or anything; but it's the truth. 

Don't for a second think I'd entertain some stranger and their demands on a ship I paid thousands of dollars to be on.  This vitriol only exists on forums - once you get on a cruise people are really nice and not  crawling under tables to inspect shoes and hemlines. 

Show this thread to a friend and don't tell them which posting handle is you; get a free reality check. 

37 minutes ago, Reds4life said:

Florida is different.  People bring their dogs to outside dining venues.  It's crazy.

As a first time HAL guest, I am getting a very "Boomerish" vibe here that a lot of people supplement the lack of entertainment offerings by sitting around and passing judgment on others. Do people really go and tattle "Karen style" on other people for wearing sandals? 😄 

Just now, Reds4life said:

As a first time HAL guest, I am getting a very "Boomerish" vibe here that a lot of people supplement the lack of entertainment offerings by sitting around and passing judgment on others. Do people really go and tattle "Karen style" on other people for wearing sandals? 😄 

Doubt anyone cares, really.