Live from the Viking Neptune World Cruise 2022-23

Mcobean

1 hour ago, cruising denise said:

To those who are currently sailing, does Australia still require COVID testing prior to passengers visiting Australian ports?  Assumedly on a ship of 930 people, at least one person will test positive....any indication what Viking's requirement will then be?  Will any passengers who might test positive be quarantined in their cabin??  Not sailing till next year but very interested to hear how this gets handled.  Thanks!

Nothing has been said yet.  If we are tested, I imagine we will be quarantined to cabins.  
Just realize, what happens this year really is no indication how next year will be handled.  I wouldn't use this as an example, as this cruise is nothing like last year’s.

2 hours ago, cruising denise said:

To those who are currently sailing, does Australia still require COVID testing prior to passengers visiting Australian ports?  Assumedly on a ship of 930 people, at least one person will test positive....any indication what Viking's requirement will then be?  Will any passengers who might test positive be quarantined in their cabin??  Not sailing till next year but very interested to hear how this gets handled.  Thanks!

Once you are on the ship it's fine. People only have to test before they embark for the first time, in Sydney, not just visit as a shore port. I don't think this will impact the world cruise.  Of course some cruise lines, like Princess, also require testing throughout the cruise. They also require masks onboard. I don't know what Viking WC will do about implementing policies whilst in Australia but Orion and Mars are currently down under and I haven't heard of any major Covid issues. People embarking on Orion and Mars in Sydney have to do a simple RAT before getting on the ship. But those getting back on - no problems. 

Next year? I don't think it will be anything like this at all. We don't even have to quarantine on land if positive if we aren't symptomatic. PCR clinics closing down now.  Cruise ship issues are the final step in moving on. 

Edited by Pushka

48 minutes ago, Pushka said:

Once you are on the ship it's fine. People only have to test before they embark for the first time, in Sydney, not just visit as a shore port. I don't think this will impact the world cruise.  Of course some cruise lines, like Princess, also require testing throughout the cruise. They also require masks onboard. I don't know what Viking WC will do about implementing policies whilst in Australia but Orion and Mars are currently down under and I haven't heard of any major Covid issues. People embarking on Orion and Mars in Sydney have to do a simple RAT before getting on the ship. But those getting back on - no problems. 

Next year? I don't think it will be anything like this at all. We don't even have to quarantine on land if positive if we aren't symptomatic. PCR clinics closing down now.  Cruise ship issues are the final step in moving on. 

Oh thanks to you and @Mich3554 for the info.  I definitely agree that barring unforeseen changes next year COVID will be even more in the rear view mirror (I hope I didn't just jinx us!!!).  I was really just curious!  Enjoy your Australian ports!

ATTENTION MUSICIANS ON BOARD:

Talent show sign-ups are near the end of February and I would very much like to play drums in a band for a song or two.  Although, we have to check with Bruce to see if we are allowed to use their instruments.

If not, do we have any actors on board that might want to perform a scene?  Odd Couple comes to mind, or something else.

On 2/6/2023 at 11:42 AM, Mich3554 said:

I did not have the same opinion of this tour.  Yes, there was a lot of driving, but we also got to see some of the most spectacular scenery ever, we saw parts of New Zealand that I never imagined were like this..  The driver drove quickly and competently, having frequently driven over the pass.  I had no concerns about it.  
We stopped halfway for tea at The Royal Hotel, a charming hotel in a town I’d have loved to explore further, but unfortunately due to time restraints could not.  I’d kill for their scone recipe.

I could have watched the seals play for hours.  They were entertaining, and put on a show for us.  There were a lot of pups enjoying the sunny, albeit very windy weather.
The winery was fabulous, as was our meal.  We used this stop to get rid of our remaining NZ$ for wine.  
In all, just another opinion of the same tour.  I’d do it again, including with the same driver. 

Thanks Michelle - I would have enjoyed the tour, but DW not so much, as she doesn't do well on mountainous roads.

Just a heads up to those of you on the Neptune about to cross over to Tasmania - I'm on the Orion going from Hobart to Dunedin across the Tasman Sea right now.  It's rough out here and has been for the past 2 days.  I don't know if similar conditions will hold for you all, but if they do, and you or, anyone you know on board, tends towards sea sickness, you might want to prepare accordingly.  We aren't particularly bothered by it, but I know there are several passengers on the Orion that are having a difficult time with the ship movement and the crew has actually put 'airsick' bags in the public rest rooms!

Been enjoying your blogs, particularly on the New Zealand ports we'll also be visiting!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SteelCity Cruiser said:

Just a heads up to those of you on the Neptune about to cross over to Tasmania - I'm on the Orion going from Hobart to Dunedin across the Tasman Sea right now.  It's rough out here and has been for the past 2 days.  I don't know if similar conditions will hold for you all, but if they do, and you or, anyone you know on board, tends towards sea sickness, you might want to prepare accordingly.  We aren't particularly bothered by it, but I know there are several passengers on the Orion that are having a difficult time with the ship movement and the crew has actually put 'airsick' bags in the public rest rooms!

Been enjoying your blogs, particularly on the New Zealand ports we'll also be visiting!

I think Neptune has already been experiencing heavy swells according to some blogs. It seems unusually rocky for this time of the year but Australian summers have been weird ever since 2019. Fires everywhere in December 2019, then Covid and weather patterns still strange. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Pushka said:

I think Neptune has already been experiencing heavy swells according to some blogs. It seems unusually rocky for this time of the year but Australian summers have been weird ever since 2019. Fires everywhere in December 2019, then Covid and weather patterns still strange. 

This morning was particularly heavy pitch. We passed Milford Sound and traveled to Doubtful sound then headed back to Milford. Departed Milford and seas became rougher immediately.

• Like 1

On 2/6/2023 at 8:15 PM, mbviking2023 said:

Kia Ora Aotearoa.  Farewell to New Zealand as we head off for a few days sailing to Australia.

Blog updated at https://mbviking23.blogspot.com

kiaora.jpg

Wasn't able to leave a comment on your blog.

On the ship's tour post, you mentioned the General Manager is 3rd in Command of the vessel and runs everything except engineering. This is not correct. The General Manager is a Department Head, same as the Chief Engineer and Staff Captain. The 2nd in Command is the Staff Captain, and if both the Master and Staff Captain were incapacitated, the 3rd in command is assumed by the Safety Officer, then one of the 1st Officers. They will all be command qualified.

The Master is in overall command, with his/her direct reports being:

- Staff Captain runs the Deck Dept,

- Chief Engineer runs the Engineering Dept, and

- General Manager runs the Hotel Dept.

The General Manager has silver stripes, which means, although he is a Department Head,  he is not a certified officer.

I certainly hope the GM did not state he is 3rd in command.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Heidi13 said:

Wasn't able to leave a comment on your blog.

On the ship's tour post, you mentioned the General Manager is 3rd in Command of the vessel and runs everything except engineering. This is not correct. The General Manager is a Department Head, same as the Chief Engineer and Staff Captain. The 2nd in Command is the Staff Captain, and if both the Master and Staff Captain were incapacitated, the 3rd in command is assumed by the Safety Officer, then one of the 1st Officers. They will all be command qualified.

The Master is in overall command, with his/her direct reports being:

- Staff Captain runs the Deck Dept,

- Chief Engineer runs the Engineering Dept, and

- General Manager runs the Hotel Dept.

The General Manager has silver stripes, which means, although he is a Department Head,  he is not a certified officer.

I certainly hope the GM did not state he is 3rd in command.

Thanks for that! I want entirely sure about that so I'll go update it. We move along pretty quickly.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Mcobean said:

Did you just ask for the behind the scenes tour? Or is that something that is offered regularly?

11 hours ago, Mcobean said:

This -- > "It's offered regularly, but you do need to sign up for it at the Explorer's Desk." 

There have been some rough seas, but it seems to be a bit better this afternoon.

Doubtful and Milford were amazing.

https://www.viking23.com/2023/02/09/milford-doubtful-and-milford-again/

I'm not able to access the link - I think this may have happened once before and it was readily corrected by the author (not sure if it was yours!).  I'd love to read it though!

2 hours ago, cruising denise said:

I'm not able to access the link - I think this may have happened once before and it was readily corrected by the author (not sure if it was yours!).  I'd love to read it though!

Every once in a while Wordpress gets messed up. the site is up again now.

• Like 1

Are there any opportunities for dancing onboard?  On our last ocean cruise we never went to Torshavn because we were just too tired to stay up!  But Ed and I recently started taking ballroom dancing lessons, and even though we're about as graceful as a pair of elephants, we are enjoying it a lot and it would be fun to have a chance to dance while we are traveling.

• Like 1