How is Acapulco

niffie

I am a fan of Mexico and have lived in Puerto Vallarta for the past 16 winters.  When it comes to Acapulco, I think it behooves folks to read the latest Department of State Warning for its State (Guerrero)

Guerrero state – Do Not Travel

Do not travel due to crime.

Crime and violence are widespread. Armed groups operate independently of the government in many areas of Guerrero. Members of these groups frequently maintain roadblocks and may use violence towards travelers. U.S. citizens and LPRs have been victims of kidnapping in previous years.

Travel for U.S. government employees is limited to the following area with the noted restrictions:

• Taxco: U.S. government employees must use Federal Highway 95D, which passes through Cuernavaca, Morelos, and stay within downtown tourist areas of Taxco. Employees may visit Grutas de Cacahuamilpa National Park during the day with a licensed tour operator.

U.S. government employees may not travel to other areas of the state of Guerrero, including to tourist areas in AcapulcoZihuatanejo, and Ixtapa.

Hank

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

A couple cruise lines are stopping there. The cruise line won't put their ships and crew, not to mention the pax, in harms way.

And the fact that it's only a couple of cruise lines stop there might suggest the ones that don't are more concerned about safety.

I was there a couple of years ago on Oceania and if I were to ever be on another cruise that called on Acapulco I'd choose to remain on board for the day. The city was an armed camp with police and military personnel armed with semi automatic weapons on almost every street corner. At one point on our excursion we stopped at a hotel for refreshments and even there....outside of the main downtown area and we had our refreshments under the watchful eye of a heavily armed private security officer. Not exactly a relaxing experience.

25 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

I was there a couple of years ago on Oceania and if I were to ever be on another cruise that called on Acapulco I'd choose to remain on board for the day. The city was an armed camp with police and military personnel armed with semi automatic weapons on almost every street corner. At one point on our excursion we stopped at a hotel for refreshments and even there....outside of the main downtown area and we had our refreshments under the watchful eye of a heavily armed private security officer. Not exactly a relaxing experience.

The gates at Nuevo Vallarta (just north of PV) have been guarded by heavily armed security for many years, yet tons of ships stop at PV.

• Like 1

Just now, CruiserBruce said:

The gates at Nuevo Vallarta (just north of PV) have been guarded by heavily armed security for many years, yet tons of ships stop at PV.

I've made numerous port calls at Puerto Vallarta and never felt the discomfort I did in Acapulco. There are heavily armed military and police on virtually every street corner in the central area of Acapulco. I can't say that I'm familiar with what you are calling "the gates", but how can you compare armed guards at one location, particularly when location isn't even in Puerto Vallarta, to an entire city being an armed camp.

The US government certainly doesn't classify Puerto Vallarta with a Do Not Travel warming, and US government employees are not even permitted to travel the tourist areas of Acapulco , while there is no such prohibition for Puerto Vallarta, nor are there any such restrictions for Nuevo Vallarta:

"There are no other restrictions on travel for U.S government employees in Jalisco state which includes tourist areas in: Guadalajara Metropolitan AreaPuerto Vallarta (including neighboring Riviera Nayarit)Chapala, and Ajijic."

"There are no restrictions on travel for U.S government employees in Nayarit state, including tourist areas in: Riviera Nayarit (including Nuevo Vallarta, Punta MitaSayulita, and Bahia de Banderas), and Santa Maria del Oro."

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/27/2022 at 9:32 AM, Hlitner said:

I am a fan of Mexico and have lived in Puerto Vallarta for the past 16 winters.  When it comes to Acapulco, I think it behooves folks to read the latest Department of State Warning for its State (Guerrero)

Guerrero state – Do Not Travel

Do not travel due to crime.

Crime and violence are widespread. Armed groups operate independently of the government in many areas of Guerrero. Members of these groups frequently maintain roadblocks and may use violence towards travelers. U.S. citizens and LPRs have been victims of kidnapping in previous years.

Travel for U.S. government employees is limited to the following area with the noted restrictions:

• Taxco: U.S. government employees must use Federal Highway 95D, which passes through Cuernavaca, Morelos, and stay within downtown tourist areas of Taxco. Employees may visit Grutas de Cacahuamilpa National Park during the day with a licensed tour operator.

U.S. government employees may not travel to other areas of the state of Guerrero, including to tourist areas in AcapulcoZihuatanejo, and Ixtapa.

Hank

Thank you Hank. That’s all I needed to know. Appreciate the reminder to use the Dept of State. Love your posts and all the knowledge you share. 

t

• Thanks 1