Hamburg port transport

Gingerhdh

We have booked a cruise on P&O Iona in April. We are travelling with our 5 year old and 6 month old girls. We have booked tickets to miniature wunderland and I am trying to work out the best way to get there. 

I believe we will be docking in Steinwerder. We have paid for select tickets which I believe include in port transfers where provided. 

Does anyone know if P&O provide transfers in Hamburg and if so how frequently they run and where they go to? Has anyone got experience with how busy the transfers are and queuing times etc?

Alternatively what would be the best transport option? We will probably avoid a taxi as we won’t have any car seats etc with us. I have seen ferry 73 as an option - is it a big walk to the ferry terminal? 

Any tips would be much appreciated- thank you

We have berthed at both the Steinwerder and Altona terminals - the latter mainly with Cunard. 

From both terminals we've been given 'complimentary' shuttle bus rides which terminated one block from the Rathaus - which is still around a half kilometre walk from the Miniature  Wunderland site.

I wrote a review which included a visit to the  Miniature Wunderland, if you scroll down to the Hamburg section you may get a feel for it...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2015/01/14/queen-elizabeth-fanzine-and-hamburg-cruise/

Otherwise, there is also a review on the rest of Hamburg which may well be of interest...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2013/07/08/hamburg-in-a-day/

• Like 1

Have been to Hamburg several times on cruises. A shuttle bus is usually provided and drops you off near the city hall and main railway station. Hamburg city centre covers a wide area but there is an excellent underground metro (uberbaan) which can be accessed from many places including the main railway station.

edit… My answer is for P&O as that is where this thread originated.  Other cruise lines may differ

……

We were at Steinwerder on a Christmas markets cruise, just before covid, but I can’t see it will have changed much.

Transfers were frequent and no queuing once the initial rush had left the ship.  For the initial ‘rush’ they were filling coaches and leaving immediately.  I hope someone who has been this year can reply, as hopefully coaches are still frequent, with post covid reduced staffing… 

Yes, ‘Select fare’ gives you free shuttles throughout the day (they scan your cruise card)

Once we got into Hamburg (sorry, forgotten exactly where they dropped us, but somewhere near the ‘Rathaus - Town Hall’) it was a stroll to Wunderland, I think 10 or so minutes.  You may be slower with your children, and their speed/willingness to walk

My tip is to always take the shuttle into town, so you know where to pick it up!  We once did not, and walked (into Copenhagen) as it was a lovely sunny December day… we then spent ages finding the actual pick-up point and coach back!!!  I now use a mapping app on my phone, and put a POI on the place the shuttle drops us off.  

We loved it at MW, it was an amazing place. We started at the top of the building at worked downwards. It really is remarkable.  They are enormous displays, with lighting on a rotation of day/night.  Also one enormous winter (Alpine if I remember correctly) scene over multiple ‘floors’.  

Edited by Goosebear Mum
  • Like 1