Singapore - Japan Silver Muse February/March 2023 Visa requirement

Devonport D

Hi

Just booked Far East cruise on Silver Muse a few questions:

Travel Agent says we need a Visa for Vietnam, spoke to Silversea's they say we do not need a Visa? Anyone done this cruise can you help?

Pros and Cons of booking Silversea, what is not included?

Any recommendations for trips in Vietnam.

Many Thanks

We leave next week for a trip to Vietnam, including a Mekong River cruise.  We were advised we needed a Visa for Vietnam, which we confirmed on the Vietnam government web site.  We applied on-line and received the Visa fairly quickly.  

17 minutes ago, Devonport D said:

Thanks for the reply.

We are visiting 3 ports in Vietnam so technically we are not in and out of Vietnam?

Things obviously can change, but when we were there the visa got cruises was different to what was required if staying overnight on land.

The visa we required was provided by SS and was minimal cost to SS who sorted it.  Had we stayed onshore for Hanoi or something, the day trip visa wasn’t sufficient.

My visit was pre Covid and things my be completely different now. 

Edited by les37b

I Almost took a trip for next month flying into Thailand and then through Cambodia into Vietnam, touring Vietnam then flying to Hong Kong and joining Silver Spirit, travelling back through Vietnam to Singapore. I Couldn’t get any straight answers anywhere about what was meant by the “single entry” 30 day visa wether or not I would have to apply for 2 separate visas or if it didn’t apply if not staying on land overnight, least of all from Silversea. I Gave up in the end and I fly to India in 10 days. I Would go more down the contact the embassy route and get someone’s name rather than relying on SS interpretation. 

On 12/28/2022 at 12:31 PM, Devonport D said:

Hi

Just booked Far East cruise on Silver Muse a few questions:

Travel Agent says we need a Visa for Vietnam, spoke to Silversea's they say we do not need a Visa? Anyone done this cruise can you help?

Pros and Cons of booking Silversea, what is not included?

Any recommendations for trips in Vietnam.

Many Thanks

If you are a US citizens you need a visa to enter Vietnam.  I am booked on Silver Spirit and when I asked SS consulate they replied that any visa requirements were sole responsibility of the passenger but they had a Visa service company they work with for a fee that they recommend but because I was close to departure that was not a option - 2 weeks ago - I used the Vietnam Government Immigration website and applied for eVisa - simple procedure and cost was $25 and they accept credit cards and I had the visa within 2 business days.  I used the ship for Vietnam address and the ports for entry and exit points with the dates.

i have friends that have visited Vietnam and when they arrived by land without a e-visa they were able to purchase the visa at the border.

The Vietnam website was easy to navigate and did the request on my phone.

The booking document for my next cruise (on the Shadow) says Silversea handles the required VISA for Vietnam and charges it to your shipboard account. This is for US citizens and a few others, so it will depend on your citizenship.

I have been to Vietnam several times on cruises and never had to apply for a visa beforehand.  The ships always had blanket visas for passengers.  There was no charge to my account, but whether that was because I have an Australian passport I cannot say.  One cruise went to three ports, so that was three entries.