Today RSSC Becomes Regent Seven Seas Cruises

Boatman--

I don't think the video or letter was marketing driven but I do think marketing did a superb job on the video.

RSSC has decided to do two things: First, to make a major course correction and take the "line up market" . Second, to be SO public about it. Now the video does it through powerful imagery and the letter more definitively in words ("Entertainment, enrichment, dining, service ... virtually everything is being upgraded...") They have set the bar very high for themselves ... and they did it so publicly. There's very little wriggle room here and very easy to be held accountable for failing to get close to/over the bar. I think its less marketing and more management's courage, confidence in the strategy, and their confidence in their ability to execute the Plan.

It'll be a lot of fun to watch a cruise line be reborn. I'm really positive on the direction that RSSC is taking.

BTW, everyone should watch the The Regent Experience " video ---it's extremely well done and creates a palpable sense of the new RSSC (or at least it did for me.)

Best regards,

Bill

Boatman--

They have set the bar very high for themselves ... and they did it so publicly. There's very little wriggle room here and very easy to be held accountable for failing to get close to/over the bar. I think its less marketing and more management's courage, confidence in the strategy, and their confidence in their ability to execute the Plan.

It'll be a lot of fun to watch a cruise line be reborn. I'm really positive on the direction that RSSC is taking.

BTW, everyone should watch the The Regent Experience " video ---it's extremely well done and creates a palpable sense of the new RSSC (or at least it did for me.)

Best regards,

Bill

Amen!

I just hope the courage and confidence hasn't clouded reality. Right now - with the bar set so high - not only the excitement, but the expectations, it would seem are higher than they have been in quite a while.

I give RSSC tons of credit for making the stand and taking the first step...and, to be sure, I am keeping my fingers crossed!:)

I would definitely try Regent if they upgrade the food service and make available at not charge caviar and a quality champagne. I would hope that the crew would be Seabourn...Sea Dream...Crystal quality.

We have sailed on the Mariner three times and found the only redeeming factor to us were the suites. We would be happy to pay extra if Regent truly brings this line up to six stars.

more hulls! We love Radisson, but as noted by an earlie poster, the loss of the Diamond, and before that the Song of Flower means thet've lost about 25% of their capacity which has reduced the interesting itineraries as they focus on the tried and true (2 ships in the Baltic!?!). One or two more Voyager-class ships would really help. Obviously an enormous investment up front, but then they could balance the great, stock cruises they now have with some new and interesting cruises for those who've done the "basics" (and, while we'll repeat favorite itineraries, it won't be annually).

One bright example is the Noway cruise in June 2007. The rate at which it is booking up ought to tell them that they need to keep the long term customers interested.

I on the other hand see it as Who Cares What Hotel you name you name you cruise line after. Had they just dropped the dumb hotel name that would have been positive.

PS: Most ppl have heard of Radisson, very few of Regent.

But by changing to Regent Seven Seas, rather than just Seven Seas, imagine how much stationery, branded gifts, and other junk labeled "RSSC" they get to keep, instead of tossing and replacing with "SSC"

One bright example is the Noway cruise in June 2007. The rate at which it is booking up ought to tell them that they need to keep the long term customers interested.

This cruise is special to those who have cruised with Captain Dag. It's his homecoming and is being promoted as such. There is a group cruise onboard for that Itinerary. i think there are already about 50 going on that sailing that I am aware of.

Actually, the name change is of little importance to me. Yes, I think name changes are usually a waste of corporate funds that could be better spent on product improvement, but be that as it may. We have been innundated by letters and emails about the change, and what it might mean for us regular guests. I have yet to see one SPECIFIC committment that would be of great benefit to us. Now, that is not to say that great benefits are not to come, as I hope they will be! It is just to say that "Regent" has not committed to them yet in specific fashion. So for me and for us, it is a "wait and see" mode, wherein we hope for the best.

Thanks,

Richard

for us, it is a "wait and see" mode, wherein we hope for the best.

Thanks,

Richard

True, but the first time I get a piece a mail pushing their hotel, it will be the last piece of mail from them. RSSC sending me mail on cruises is one thing but to receive junk mail about a hotel I could care less about is another.

True, but the first time I get a piece a mail pushing their hotel, it will be the last piece of mail from them. RSSC sending me mail on cruises is one thing but to receive junk mail about a hotel I could care less about is another.

That was sort of my "concern" (probably not the right word, though). It is my hope that we are not looking at hype covering over what is little more than cross-marketing plan which (or the very reason Blackbird stated) I just don't see as having much effectiveness.

However, if RSSC truly does bring the service and amenities up to the level of the Regent hotels (as they are actually owned or franchised) it would be a big plus.

Huge improvement or Huge disappointment? I'm hoping for the former, but am waiting for the future to tell me. I would prefer not to conjecture too much.

OK, Let's be serious. I (we!) love to conjecture.:D

Completely agree, Portolan! i hope Regent adds more ships and a wider variety of itineraries. We booked the '07 Norway cruise a week after the 2007 calendar was released, and by that time all the H and G cabins were reserved!

Those of us who have cruised several times with RSSC would appreciate new itineraries.....how about more in Asia/New Zealand/Australia that are not connected with World or Circle Pacific cruises?

more hulls! One or two more Voyager-class ships would really help. Obviously an enormous investment up front, but then they could balance the great, stock cruises they now have with some new and interesting cruises for those who've done the "basics" (and, while we'll repeat favorite itineraries, it won't be annually).

Marc Conroy announced while onboard the PG in the last few weeks, that a new ship was being built. The stateroom size is going to be 500 square feet, all suite and all balcony. Probably ready in 2008.

Here we are in San Juan,just off the Navigator. Mark Conroy made me feel foolish for posting I expected to see him onboard. After all,I only got a letter delivered to my room,over his signature,with quotes such as "please join me on the pool deck" and "I look forward to seeing you". There was also a group from Carlson Worldwide on the ship,so why would I not assume he was going to join the ship to make a big dog and pony show? Actually,they had a nice reception and the captian gave a toast. There was a big ice sculpture of the new logo all lit up and rotating (The next night,at the SSS reception,they had an ice sculpture of the harp logo. Maybe there was an old one sitting around. :D ) The first and only new logo being used was in Compass Rose. I kept a copy of the menu which,starting that night,had the new sylized "Regent" on the front. One staff member told me the new logo will,wherever possible, include the words "Seven Seas" under the Regent. RSSC regulars are also getting jazzed up about making off with anything having the old logo. I was told china is starting to disappear at a noticable rate. I grabbed some stuff like swizzle sticks,paper napkins,pens,etc.,that most hotels expect to get taken and used to advertize the brand. And,of course,we bought a bunch of stuff in the boutique where anything with the old logo is half off. Next trip I'm bringing a screwdriver. It's kind of like,for you Disney World fans,looking for hidden Mickeys (the head with the ears worked into all sorts of architechtural and graphic locations on site). I began to notice all the places the harp turns up in the ship's structure,decoration and on uniforms. I don't know what they're going to do with all that stuff when the time comes (May?) but I'm sure there will be a market for it. I guess our SSS pins are now collectible and,when they give us new ones,those who wear both will be recognized as "old timers"

I still don't understand why they had to do away with the lyre/harp. They could have superimposed the Regent name on the lyre/harp or whatever.

The marketing plan is it homogenize the Regent Brand for both hotels and cruises. If you go to http://www.theregentexperience.com you will see that is the new Regent portal (not porthole!) for both products.

It will be interesting to see what comes of it. So far my clients are saying, "What does a hotel have to do with a cruise line?" as they never made any connection between "Radisson Seven Seas" and Radisson Hotels. Maybe that is the point. Just don't know which side of the point is the right one.;)

Well, the plan for a new ship announced by Mr. Conroy on the PG recently for a ship with the base suites of 500 sq. ft. sounded absurd --- at first. But we all know that guests have been demanding larger hotel rooms than, say, 20 years ago, and hotels have responded. All the way from "budget" hotels to "super lux" hotels. Indeed, a 500 sq. ft. hotel room would be quite small --- even at "Motel 6". So, if Regent SS Cruise line wants to keep up with the hotel trend, perhaps it will be true. Some of us "claustrophoebics" hope so.

Thanks,

Richard

Archived