Best specialty restaurants on Prima?

KKB

Ocean Blue & Cagneys were my fav on Getaway. They weren't QUITE as good on the Encore, but still solid.

We have a specialty dinner & possibly may buy the 2 dinner upgrade for $70 each.

Anyone have a fav (or 3)?

Thanks!

You're going to get as many different responses as people on this board, LOL.

Onda was my favorite both times I had it on Encore but it wasn't quite as good on Prima. Food Republic is always my favorite but I usually pay out of pocket for it.  Los Lobos ended up being my favorite on Prima and I didn't really care for it on Encore. So you just never know what it going to work, depending on the chef on each ship.  I never heard a bad word from anyone that ate at Palomar so you might want to try that one.

Enjoy your cruise!

1 hour ago, KKB said:

Ocean Blue & Cagneys were my fav on Getaway. They weren't QUITE as good on the Encore, but still solid.

We have a specialty dinner & possibly may buy the 2 dinner upgrade for $70 each.

Anyone have a fav (or 3)?

Thanks!

We ate at Cagney's, Onda and Palomar on Prima and I enjoyed them all.  For me the differences were more in the atmosphere and layout, so unless you are asking with Prima in mind that's probably not relevant.  I will say that I liked the food at Onda best of the three, but if you are on Prima I'd give Palomar a try since you can't get that anywhere else for now.

Yes, yes, everyone has different opinions--I wanted to hear them!

For now I have booked Palomar--the Greek MDR on Celebrity E-class ships was my fav.

I am excited about Indulge!

We had planned to try Food Republic last month on Encore, but just never did. Will do that out of pocket.

• 2 weeks later...

We just sailed on the Prima last week.

Cagney's is always a favorite of ours. It doesn't matter which ship, it's always good. 

We enjoyed Onda and Le Bistro too. 

We were disappointed with Palomar.  The Dover Sole was no longer on the menu. That left five items in the seafood section, two of which were upcharges. The server suggested the Monkfish. She said the flavor and texture were similar to lobster. I agree the texture was similar (I needed a knife to cut it), but the fish itself was pretty bland.

1 hour ago, SplashOfWater said:

We just sailed on the Prima last week.

Cagney's is always a favorite of ours. It doesn't matter which ship, it's always good. 

We enjoyed Onda and Le Bistro too. 

We were disappointed with Palomar.  The Dover Sole was no longer on the menu. That left five items in the seafood section, two of which were upcharges. The server suggested the Monkfish. She said the flavor and texture were similar to lobster. I agree the texture was similar (I needed a knife to cut it), but the fish itself was pretty bland.

We were very disappointed at the Monkfish at Palomar. The preparation was off, making it tough like an eraser (for those who remember days before keyboards). 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 1/1/2023 at 5:25 PM, BirdTravels said:

We have sailed on the Prima twice. 

Favorites:

Le Bistro

And the complimentary Indulge Food Hall

We also like Los Lobos

I thought that in the past you were trying to do 2 Palomars.  Was that not a favorite…or were you giving that venue a second chance?  I trust your opinion…but now I’m confused. So…on the safe side, I booked a Los Lobos on our Prima sailing…and will cancel either Onda, Palomar, Los Lobos, Food Republic or Cagneys.  Your thoughts, please.

12 hours ago, laudergayle said:

I thought that in the past you were trying to do 2 Palomars.  Was that not a favorite…or were you giving that venue a second chance?  I trust your opinion…but now I’m confused. So…on the safe side, I booked a Los Lobos on our Prima sailing…and will cancel either Onda, Palomar, Los Lobos, Food Republic or Cagneys.  Your thoughts, please.

I would not put too much weight on other peoples' opinions.  Food and restaurants in general are rather subjective, and being on a ship makes it even more difficult to find consistency.  I say look at the menus and the photos of the venues and go with what looks most interesting to you.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Karaboudjan said:

I would not put too much weight on other peoples' opinions.  Food and restaurants in general are rather subjective, and being on a ship makes it even more difficult to find consistency.  I say look at the menus and the photos of the venues and go with what looks most interesting to you.

Thanks, I agree.  It was the Dover Sole I wanted to try at Palomar…so, I guess that one is what I’ll cancel once onboard and I can see the actual menu.  Just curious about Bird as I thought that was one of his/her fav.  

3 hours ago, richardchapman said:

My colleague was on a cruise with his wife this summer, and he said it was pretty boring. I don't think there's anything interesting about a vacation like that either, but my wife really wants to go on a cruise. Yeah, I'm henpecked. We were traveling around the US a couple of months ago and visited the original Kavasutra kava bar. You've probably heard of it. I fell in love with Kava, so I would love it if I could have my favorite drink and enjoy a delicious meal on the ship.

I convinced my husband to try a cruise in April. My last cruise was in 2009 on Carnival. But, I had been watching loads of YouTube videos on cruising. We booked and have now found ourselves on two additional cruises, with a fourth coming up in March. I think we'll take a break after that for some land-based vacations - I absolutely love road trips. We live in the Northeast so it's not the best to see the great American sites. When I lived in Montana, I'd often find myself in California, Utah, Oregon, etc. for a long weekend. But, cruises were fun for the last year! 

I'm not exactly sure what Kava is, so I'll let others answer that. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/17/2023 at 6:30 AM, richardchapman said:

My colleague was on a cruise with his wife this summer, and he said it was pretty boring. I don't think there's anything interesting about a vacation like that either, but my wife really wants to go on a cruise. Yeah, I'm henpecked. We were traveling around the US a couple of months ago and visited the original Kavasutra kava bar. You've probably heard of it. I fell in love with Kava, so I would love it if I could have my favorite drink and enjoy a delicious meal on the ship.

What would make you think that they serve Kava on a cruise ship?   If I'm not mistaken, Kava is a somewhat hallucinogenic drink from Hawaii that is supposed to make you "chill" and smooth over any rough edges you may have.

Edited by CruizinSusan70