Question about the Retreat on Eurodam

Anubi

I was watching a YouTube and the commentator spoke of two Retreat areas; one area was isolated up above the pool area and the other was cabanas that lined the pool area and he referred to them as retreat cabanas.  Are they both Retreat areas with full menus, service, etc.  

• 2 weeks later...

The retreat that is above the pool is private - no pool through.  There are cabana stewards - they used to be called 'beverage runners' but I think they  have renamed or retitled them.  They will bring you breakfast and lunch.  They will also bring chocolate covered strawberries and sparkling wine in the afternoon if you are on a Caribbean cruise or if you are on a cold weather cruise they'll bring pea soup and hot cocoa and tuck blankets around you.  On the Pinnacle class ships there is a lovely hot tub in the Retreat.  I won't cruise on a HAL ship without booking a cabana in the Retreat.

13 minutes ago, TableGirl said:

The retreat that is above the pool is private - no pool through.  There are cabana stewards - they used to be called 'beverage runners' but I think they  have renamed or retitled them.  They will bring you breakfast and lunch.  They will also bring chocolate covered strawberries and sparkling wine in the afternoon if you are on a Caribbean cruise or if you are on a cold weather cruise they'll bring pea soup and hot cocoa and tuck blankets around you.  On the Pinnacle class ships there is a lovely hot tub in the Retreat.  I won't cruise on a HAL ship without booking a cabana in the Retreat.

There is no hot tub in the koningsdam retreat.  That just sounds odd about the blanket.  I’d feel like I was 5 years old.  As much as I love the cabanas I have no interest in having one in the cold.

Just now, CruiserBruce said:

Not the Koningsdam.

Oh - that's too bad.  There is on the Rotterdam and the Nieuw Statendam.  Thanks for clarifying for the Koningsdam.  I'll also note that while on the NS last November there were folks all over the Retreat taking measurements and whatnot.  I asked what they were doing.  They said when she goes into drydock this spring they were planning to spruce up the Retreat!  The Nieuw Statendam isn't my favorite ship but I'm all for a spruced up Retreat!

1 minute ago, TableGirl said:

Oh - that's too bad.  There is on the Rotterdam and the Nieuw Statendam.  Thanks for clarifying for the Koningsdam.  I'll also note that while on the NS last November there were folks all over the Retreat taking measurements and whatnot.  I asked what they were doing.  They said when she goes into drydock this spring they were planning to spruce up the Retreat!  The Nieuw Statendam isn't my favorite ship but I'm all for a spruced up Retreat!

Funny, the nieuw statendam is my favourite, but I imagine I will feel the same about the Rotterdam.  On the koningsdam they have that green bunny that wouldn’t fit in the kids club.  I think they said it was going to be taken out but it might just be wishful thinking on my part.

2 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

There is no hot tub in the koningsdam retreat.  That just sounds odd about the blanket.  I’d feel like I was 5 years old.  As much as I love the cabanas I have no interest in having one in the cold.

Having one on the cold weather cruises is so you don't have to fight for bow space during the scenic cruising.  It was great last August when we were cruising through Prince Christian Sound.  I'm short and wouldn't have seen anything if I hadn't have been up on the Retreat level.  It was cold but the sky was clear and the sun was out.  I laid on a lounger to listen to the guide talk over the PA about what we were seeing and the cabana steward kept coming by to check on me and when I got cold he would bring another blanket and tuck it around me.  We have a cabana for our upcoming Antarctica trip - they are sold out.  There are 4 days of cruising in Antarctica and another 4 or 5 days of scenic cruising through out the trip.  I  have a friend who is mobility challenged so with a cabana she won't have to worry about standing for long periods at the bow to see everything.

1 minute ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Funny, the nieuw statendam is my favourite, but I imagine I will feel the same about the Rotterdam.  On the koningsdam they have that green bunny that wouldn’t fit in the kids club.  I think they said it was going to be taken out but it might just be wishful thinking on my part.

The Rotterdam as the most interesting and IMO the most beautiful artwork.  I hope you love it when you sail on her!  Haven't seen the Green Bunny - only sailed on the Kongingsdam shortly after she was launched in 2016.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, TableGirl said:

Having one on the cold weather cruises is so you don't have to fight for bow space during the scenic cruising.  It was great last August when we were cruising through Prince Christian Sound.  I'm short and wouldn't have seen anything if I hadn't have been up on the Retreat level.  It was cold but the sky was clear and the sun was out.  I laid on a lounger to listen to the guide talk over the PA about what we were seeing and the cabana steward kept coming by to check on me and when I got cold he would bring another blanket and tuck it around me.  We have a cabana for our upcoming Antarctica trip - they are sold out.  There are 4 days of cruising in Antarctica and another 4 or 5 days of scenic cruising through out the trip.  I  have a friend who is mobility challenged so with a cabana she won't have to worry about standing for long periods at the bow to see everything.

Makes sense.  Coming from a place where we have cold weather 10 months a year I’m not thrilled with the idea of a cold cruise and being cold.  

On 1/2/2023 at 8:07 AM, CruiserBruce said:

Yes. The cabanas the Lido Pool area is commonly referred to as Lido Cabanas. Only the Eurodam and N. Amsterdam have the Lido cabanas. 

The Lido Cabanas can be pretty stuffy and noisy, especially if the roof is closed over the lido pool.

5 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

My SIL, fooling around on the "green bunny".

15.jpg

16.jpg

• Haha 1