Considering a last minute Saga cruise

Jammy Bun

As lincslady says above...

People may ask if you have cruised with Saga before, chat about Saga and other cruise lines, ports, events and excursions in general, along with recommendations for a port they happen to know well. Usually the, "have you cruised with Saga often?" question is from somebody new to cruising.

But I have never heard anyone talking about what they paid, what "status" they are.

Possibly because once on board, everybody is equal when it comes to booking speciality restaurants, booking/paying for excursions, seating arrangements at dinner, in theatre, on coaches etc.

Immaterial whether you are a top tier Britannia member, a major shareholder, in the most expensive suite, or first time on a cruise - you join the same queue and get the same treatment as everybody else.

Only people who get (seating) priority are the disabled.

You may be pleasantly surprised at how easy and relaxed the overall attitude is.

• Like 8

I can echo what Nosapphire says. In many years of cruising off and on with Saga (we started young!), I have never had or overheard a conversation about price paid or loyalty club level. Instead we have had wide ranging and stimulating chats while sharing tables (our choice), with people from many walks of life. Often, the older people are, the more life experiences they have to offer. In fact, the convivial atmosphere onboard is  one of the features which keeps us coming back to Saga.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Staffordshirecruiser said:

Hi Jammy Bun, I’m now booked on 15 Feb Canaries on Adventure, is that the one you are going on as well?

Yes!  Looking forward to it, slightly apprehensive but also excited to explore another ship. 😊😊

On 1/3/2023 at 10:56 AM, Jammy Bun said:

Regular Viking cruisers, but the thought of indirect flights from where we live is deterring us from booking an extra February cruise.  I've decided this might be the time to try a Saga cruise to the Canaries.  We've done similar cruises many times in the past, with P&O, so know we can cope with the potentially rocky seas!

I also know I'm going to have to suffer formal nights... hate all that pretentious dressing up.  It's OK, we'll grit our teeth and do it.  Could someone please tell me what the dress code is in the restaurants on non-formal occasions.  Does my OH have to take another jacket - or a tie?  I don't remember when he last wore a tie!  

We have Saga shares - is there any perk for being an investor (OBC on Cunard/Princess/P&O if shareholder)?

And we'll celebrate a big wedding anniversary while we're away - should we tell Saga, do do anything?

Thanks for any more tips... I'll probably ring them later today, there's loads of availability on the one I'm looking at.

On 1/3/2023 at 10:56 AM, Jammy Bun said:

Regular Viking cruisers, but the thought of indirect flights from where we live is deterring us from booking an extra February cruise.  I've decided this might be the time to try a Saga cruise to the Canaries.  We've done similar cruises many times in the past, with P&O, so know we can cope with the potentially rocky seas!

I also know I'm going to have to suffer formal nights... hate all that pretentious dressing up.  It's OK, we'll grit our teeth and do it.  Could someone please tell me what the dress code is in the restaurants on non-formal occasions.  Does my OH have to take another jacket - or a tie?  I don't remember when he last wore a tie!  

We have Saga shares - is there any perk for being an investor (OBC on Cunard/Princess/P&O if shareholder)?

And we'll celebrate a big wedding anniversary while we're away - should we tell Saga, do do anything?

Thanks for any more tips... I'll probably ring them later today, there's loads of availability on the one I'm looking at.

No special treatment for shareholders as we are all treated the same 

• Like 2