MDR Menus

Mad4WDW

10 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

The problem is if you had an extensive list of options you can absolutely guarantee someone would complain on not having there favourite nut roast on, we are not fussy esters we always found something we wanted to eat.

I think that is the issue. Trying to find 5 or 6 dishes that will appeal to 95% of the diners is not easy, hence the need to cater for the vast majority,  with a constant churn of chicken and beef dishes.

37 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

The problem is if you had an extensive list of options you can absolutely guarantee someone would complain on not having there favourite nut roast on, we are not fussy esters we always found something we wanted to eat.

The fact remains the number of options have sadly diminished. I'm sure there are still special menus but the inclusion of three vegetarian options on the main menu reduces considerably the choice.

Unfortunately certain medications and stomach problems mean quite a large number of vegetables and foodstuffs are banned from our diets, it doesn't mean we are fussy eaters or picky more if we ate them we would be in serious discomfort and pain.  I wouldn't die but the effect on blood counts etc would last for several months and increase the amount of blood tests while I become rebalanced.  My OH on the other hand would most likely end up in bed for several days with chronic stomach ache. It would be impossible to have a food sheet for things like this and unreasonable to expect one, however if you travel having previously had no problems because of the wider choice it can be problematic.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

I'm sure there are still special menus but the inclusion of three vegetarian options on the main menu reduces considerably the choice.

That does seem like overkill, if that is the right phrase !

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, wowzz said:

That does seem like overkill, if that is the right phrase !

Every night has 2 vegetarian and 1 vegan option in the MDR, in fact the starters and sweets have a lot of Vs beside them too.  Perhaps this could be one of the reasons people are saying their tasteless.

Ironically we were hard pushed to make a decent salad in the buffet when we had a late lunch there after a trip, but again lots of things like vegetable lasagne etc in the hot section. The one that made me smile was "Healthy Options" as on the two occasions I looked it seemed to offer boiled eggs and small bowls of quinoa and pomegranate salad and not much else.Mind you judging by the queues poolside for pizza and burgers there wasn't going to be too many worrying that section anyway!

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Every night has 2 vegetarian and 1 vegan option in the MDR, in fact the starters and sweets have a lot of Vs beside them too.  Perhaps this could be one of the reasons people are saying their tasteless.

Ironically we were hard pushed to make a decent salad in the buffet when we had a late lunch there after a trip, but again lots of things like vegetable lasagne etc in the hot section. The one that made me smile was "Healthy Options" as on the two occasions I looked it seemed to offer boiled eggs and small bowls of quinoa and pomegranate salad and not much else.Mind you judging by the queues poolside for pizza and burgers there wasn't going to be too many worrying that section anyway!

Like I said in a previous post that there was a decent enough choice for us, as for the vegetarian and vegan options that's the way the world is going, but I can safely say I have never hurt a vegetable and they should be allowed to live out there lives in a field.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, wowzz said:

I think that is the issue. Trying to find 5 or 6 dishes that will appeal to 95% of the diners is not easy, hence the need to cater for the vast majority,  with a constant churn of chicken and beef dishes.

Nought wrong with chicken and beef as long as they are not on the same plate.

52 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

Like I said in a previous post that there was a decent enough choice for us, as for the vegetarian and vegan options that's the way the world is going, but I can safely say I have never hurt a vegetable and they should be allowed to live out there lives in a field.

And plenty of others were happy too but my point is not everyone can eat from such a limited menu without problems.  I'm alright Jack appears to becoming the order of the day in some parts of British society, it would be nice if some of these people could acknowledge that just because something is good for them it might not be for others.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

And plenty of others were happy too but my point is not everyone can eat from such a limited menu without problems.  I'm alright Jack appears to becoming the order of the day in some parts of British society, it would be nice if some of these people could acknowledge that just because something is good for them it might not be for others.

Oh I do like this post and totally agree Mb. If people want to eat vegetables one dish should be sufficient and just leave the meat off the other dishes. Also just because someone doesn't want eggs I don't see why the rest of the ship has to have chickpea merengue. Some food can't be adapted, merengue is one.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Not really the point I am making, for the new cruiser after reading the post would believe we literally live on a few lettuce leaves on board ship but there is a good choice of food, my wife was hospitalised last year to the point I believed we was going to lose her, we had a list of items that she could eat and she was very happy with the selection she could have, so not really the case of I am all right jack more of the case it is not as bad as it is made out to be.

Edited by Bazrat

16 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

The fact remains the number of options have sadly diminished. I'm sure there are still special menus but the inclusion of three vegetarian options on the main menu reduces considerably the choice.

Unfortunately certain medications and stomach problems mean quite a large number of vegetables and foodstuffs are banned from our diets, it doesn't mean we are fussy eaters or picky more if we ate them we would be in serious discomfort and pain.  I wouldn't die but the effect on blood counts etc would last for several months and increase the amount of blood tests while I become rebalanced.  My OH on the other hand would most likely end up in bed for several days with chronic stomach ache. It would be impossible to have a food sheet for things like this and unreasonable to expect one, however if you travel having previously had no problems because of the wider choice it can be problematic.

Wrong thread

Edited by FangedRose

1 hour ago, Bazrat said:

Not really the point I am making, for the new cruiser after reading the post would believe we literally live on a few lettuce leaves on board ship but there is a good choice of food, my wife was hospitalised last year to the point I believed we was going to lose her, we had a list of items that she could eat and she was very happy with the selection she could have, so not really the case of I am all right jack more of the case it is not as bad as it is made out to be.

Excellent news that your wife is fully recovered and was able to enjoy her cruise.  Ironically her case is the point in question, "she had a list of things she could eat" which indicates she had a list of things she couldn't eat as well.  While she was very happy with the choice anyone who had the reverse requirements would therefore have been disappointed.

Sarcasm aside, I'd actually have been quite happy to live on the few lettuce leaves but they were rather in short supply for a few days! 

13 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Excellent news that your wife is fully recovered and was able to enjoy her cruise.  Ironically her case is the point in question, "she had a list of things she could eat" which indicates she had a list of things she couldn't eat as well.  While she was very happy with the choice anyone who had the reverse requirements would therefore have been disappointed.

Sarcasm aside, I'd actually have been quite happy to live on the few lettuce leaves but they were rather in short supply for a few days! 

Thankyou she is getting better, I being the hero whilst she was ill ate the same food as her to not to let her feel left out, I don't know who suffered the most.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1