Mini Bar Fridge in Cabins

gerryuk

Just of the new Costa Toscana ship from Barcelona to Dubai. There were no fridges (cool box) for mini bars in the cabins. I believe that all the new Costa ships are the same. You could order a cool pack for medication if required.

I would have thought that many customers had their stewards remove the mini bar on day one, particularly if they had kids with them. Considering the number of cabins on some of these new mega ships, the cost of the fridges and the power they required to operate,  would i be right in thinking that the mini bar is a loss making part of the cruise lines business? 

Whether it is stocked or not, it's still an expected amenity. I want the mini fridge to keep my bottled water and canned sodas cold. Just another cost cutting measure that guests are supposed to like it or lump it, even though this is a budget line  This would be a deal breaker for me, if Costa was on my list of possible future cruise lines. Which it's not

Edited by mom says
  • Like 1

I think it is a Costa thing.  Maybe their guests do not expect it.  But Americans do.  I know there was a discussion on the Carnival board about lack of minibar listed in room description on the Venezia, which will be sailing for Carnival.  EM

7 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

I think it is a Costa thing.  Maybe their guests do not expect it.  But Americans do.  I know there was on the board about lack of minibar listed in room on the Venezia, which will be sailing for Carnival.  EM

Do Americans actually buy mini bar items though, or do they use the fridge to store alcohol that they have brought onboard themselves? On Costa you are not allowed to bring drinks onboard.

Personally i never use the mini bar so wont miss, it but i can see why others will want one. Another way of looking at it, it must be good for the environment not to have them?

I think Americans use them for items they bring, like cans of soda.  Sometimes they store the ice bucket there.  I have no idea if people buy the mini bar items, but they must, since they keep stocking them.  
Carnival didn’t have them in the cabins until 2002, with the first of the Conquest class.  I think some other lines started earlier.  EM

7 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

I have no idea if people buy the mini bar items, but they must, since they keep stocking them.  

My Dad would have me run out to 7-11 before housekeeping comes in and restock whatever I could get 😉

On QM2 this fall, there were no 'minibar' items in the room. Instead several options were added to the Room Service menu [for purchase, not included in fare] including a snack assortment [chips and candy] and a drink assortment [mixers, spirits]. 

We did not bother, so I cannot confirm what was in the packages - but it did save us the effort of requesting the the minibar be emptied.