Voyager (and other "large" ships) itinerary change

Biker19

"

Royal Caribbean International has contacted guests booked aboard Voyager of the Seas about an itinerary change due to the ship’s size, removing a visit to Progreso, Mexico and instead replacing it with an overnight call to Cozumel. While just one itinerary has been confirmed as changed, it is likely this change may impact more sailings for the ship.

Guests booked on the February 5, 2024 sailing of Voyager of the Seas – a 5-night Western Caribbean sailing from Galveston, Texas – have been notified that their itinerary has been altered.

The original itinerary called for the ship to set sail on Monday, February 5, spend one day at sea, enjoy a port visit to Progreso on the Yucatan peninsula on Wednesday, enjoy Thursday in Cozumel, and then spend another day at sea before arriving back in Galveston on Saturday, February 10.

Now, guests have been informed that the call in Progreso will not be happening. “Unfortunately, Yucatan (Progreso) is unable to accommodate a ship of our size. We’ll now have an overnight stay in Cozumel instead,” the email read.

The original call on Cozumel was to have been on February 8 from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., but now the ship will arrive at the Mexican island at 6 p.m. on Wednesday, February 7 and will stay docked overnight, leaving at 4 p.m. on Thursday.

This overnight visit gives guests the opportunity to enjoy the vibrant nightlife of the port, as well as additional time for extra shore tours or shopping if desired.

Not all guests will be pleased with the change, however, because while the overnight call offers much more time in Cozumel, many of those hours are not the best. Longer shore tours to the Mexican mainland will not run in the evening hours, and not all guests will be interested in or comfortable with exploring off the ship later in the evening.

The earlier departure on Thursday – 4 p.m. instead of the original 6 p.m. – will also mean that longer excursions must depart earlier in the morning than originally planned in order to return to the ship on time.

Because the reason given for the itinerary change is that the port “is unable to accommodate a ship of our size,” it is possible that more than just the February 5, 2024, sailing may be impacted.

Voyager of the Seas will be homeported in Galveston from May 9, 2023, through April 30, 2024, offering 4-5 night Western Caribbean sailings, with the occasional 6-night sailing also on her upcoming schedule.

Most of the ship’s cruises, however, are not scheduled to call on Progreso. Instead, the 4-night itineraries only visit Cozumel, while the 5-night cruises also include Costa Maya.

Two other sailing dates have originally been planned to include Progreso: November 13, 2023, and November 27, 2023. Those itineraries may also be altered due to the restrictions in Progreso.

Progreso, on the northwest coast of the Yucatan peninsula, is a popular port of call and offers one of the longest cruise ship piers in the world, measuring 4 miles (6.4 kilometers) long.

At that length, the pier can accommodate even the largest cruise ships in the world, docking several vessels at once. So why is Voyager of the Seas changing the February 5, 2024 itinerary because the port “is unable to accommodate a ship of our size”?

The pier’s length isn’t the primary concern – it is the depth of the surrounding waters that also determines how safe it is for a larger vessel to dock. Most cruise ships visiting Progreso dock at the end of the pier and use free shuttle buses to transport guests to the town.

Larger vessels require deeper water to safely maneuver and dock, particularly when changing tides for a longer port of call visit are taken into account. Anchorage depth at Progreso is just 23-30 feet (7.1-9.1 meters). In comparison, anchorage depth at Cozumel is 36-40 feet (11-12.2 meters).

Voyager of the Seas and her sister ship, Adventure of the Seas, are the largest ships scheduled to make calls on Progreso in the next year. Guests booked on either ship, or any other large vessel scheduled to visit Progreso, should stay in close contact with their cruise line for possible itinerary changes and updates."

Royal Caribbean Ship Changes Itinerary for Unusual Reason (cruisehive.com)

We sailed there twice on Vision from Galveston.  Interesting port with long jetty to the ship requiring a bus to get to town.  Great place to visit ruins like Uxmal and Chichen Itza.  

If I had to guess the problem is bus capacity.  They don't have much turnaround space at the port end and buses were having to wait partway down the jetty for the two buses at the end to fill and depart.  Long lines even with just Vision in port, especially when ship tours were loading.

Just now, smokeybandit said:

I believe that's ramping up now. That could be why they have to scale down larger ship operations.

Yes i wondered. 

Adventure and Voyager and a similar sized Carnival are still listed in port schedule.

Just now, c-leg5 said:

Yes i wondered. 

Adventure and Voyager and a similar sized Carnival are still listed in port schedule.

There could just be a traffic problem with the construction so on days more ships are in port it's harder to find a spot for the Voyager-sized ship.

• Like 1

We will be on the 5-night Voyager cruise leaving the Feb 19th.   I wonder if a bunch of people on the Feb 5th cruise will change to mine?   Mine is 

Day 3 - Puerto Costa Maya, Mexico

Day 4 - Cozumel, Mexico

I'd picked that cruise because I was looking for the cheapest cruise in 2024, Voyager-class or bigger, leaving out of Galveston, 5-7 nights.  This is a starter cruise for us to see if we like it.  Ports really didn't matter.   I've been to all the big ones already, and DH and DD have been to none.  I wouldn't want to spend any time in port in the evening, particularly with two attractive teenage blonde girls.  But, for a substantial OBC or cheaper price I'd be willing to change to the Feb 5th cruise.  

2 minutes ago, HappyTexan44 said:

We will be on the 5-night Voyager cruise leaving the Feb 19th.   I wonder if a bunch of people on the Feb 5th cruise will change to mine?   Mine is 

Day 3 - Puerto Costa Maya, Mexico

Day 4 - Cozumel, Mexico

I'd picked that cruise because I was looking for the cheapest cruise in 2024, Voyager-class or bigger, leaving out of Galveston, 5-7 nights.  This is a starter cruise for us to see if we like it.  Ports really didn't matter.   I've been to all the big ones already, and DH and DD have been to none.  I wouldn't want to spend any time in port in the evening, particularly with two attractive teenage blonde girls.  But, for a substantial OBC or cheaper price I'd be willing to change to the Feb 5th cruise.  

Your schedule is the regular 5- night itinerary. We have done it multiple times. Occasionally they throw in Progresso for a change. We have done the Progresso route previously on the Vision and Enchantment out of Galveston. 

Incidentally, we have also had the scheduled itinerary changed to an overnight in Cozumel after our ship (Enchantment) was unable to dock at Costa Maya due to wind and currents.

I can understand the overnight stop not being particularly attractive to families. It would also be a lot more attractive if the ship docked at Punta Langosta. There are a lot of bars and restaurants on Cozumel that only open at night so it does present some new alternatives to young/older adults looking for a change, although with drink packages and included dining this is probably a limited number of guests.

• Like 1