What is your favorite dish at Ocean Blue & Le Bistro (Pics welcome)

bren61

My favourite dish at Ocean Blue is the cauliflower steak and my favourite dessert by far on any NCL ship is the vanilla raspberry cheesecake in a jar from Ocean Blue.  At Le Bistro the only item I like are the goat cheese croquettes.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, bren61 said:

What is in the steak tartare?

Is sole a mild fish?

Thank you for the photos BirdTravels!!

Not sure what they put in their tartare. I like it because it is course chopped. 

The sole is a mild fish, firm flesh in a lemon butter sauce. 

When we go to Ocean Blue we order "fish". We have gone through most of the menu and order off the "fish of the week" side now. Nothing has jumped up and said "I'm the best".

When Ocean Blue first opened, it was run by Iron Chef Geoffrey Zacharian. He hand picked the menu and the suppliers of the seafood. He designed the the restaurant (down to the exact weights of each of the utensils on the table). Since NCL took over, it has turned more into a middle-of-the-pack sea food joint. 

All seafood on a ship has to be frozen for health and safety reasons to kill harmful organisms. So while it is "fresh", it is not really fresh like from a sea side restaurant serving what was caught that morning. 

• Thanks 2

Just now, RocketMan275 said:

A most helpful lady at the concierge shore desk recommended the thermador and the crab salad wrapped in smoked salmon.  

I suspect wife will go for the steak tartare and escargots and skip the entre.

That crab salad/salmon is quite good.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Lex1 said:

I'm a fan of Le Bistro's Filet de Boeuf Rossini.  Disappointed to see that they've added a supplemental fee for it.758702931_2022-04-0518_32_19.thumb.jpg.f2ff828b0fc02dfc2b21c4db18510f1f.jpg

I had this last week on the Encore, and there was no upcharge.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bren61 said:

What is in the steak tartare?

Is sole a mild fish?

Thank you for the photos BirdTravels!!

Tartare is raw chopped tenderloin, it is mixed with a raw egg, capers, worstie sauce and olive oil. I have them leave out the capers and add a little dijon mustard. Sounds caveman but delish!

Sole is much like flounder. White and mild.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

I will have to pass on the Filet de Boeuf Rossini.  I can't stand liver in any form.  

BTW, I no longer see the crab salad on the Le Bistro menu.

That is my favorite item on the Le Bistro menu. I hope this is temporary. It would be nice if they at least replace it with something else. I like to have more choices. 

By the way, I did just log on to the MyNCL to check the menu. I was able to pull up the menu under explore and plan, dining. This was done through pulling up the reservation for my upcoming trip on the Pearl.

• Thanks 2

53 minutes ago, Cruising Lynne said:

That is my favorite item on the Le Bistro menu. I hope this is temporary. It would be nice if they at least replace it with something else. I like to have more choices. 

By the way, I did just log on to the MyNCL to check the menu. I was able to pull up the menu under explore and plan, dining. This was done through pulling up the reservation for my upcoming trip on the Pearl.

You can also find the specialty menus without pulling  up your reservation.  

Explore Ships (Pick a ship, anyone will do.)

What's on Board

Deck Plans

Specialty Dining

• Thanks 2

It seems the menu at Le Bistro has changed. Was counting on shrimp and scallop plate. But poof it is now gone. Things are getting disappointing, certain boozes are removed from drink program, dishes are removed from menus and up charges are added to menu items. I realize the cruise contract covers these changes, but when I entered into this contract things were different. And it is disappointing.

• Like 2

On 1/6/2023 at 8:29 AM, RocketMan275 said:

I will have to pass on the Filet de Boeuf Rossini.  I can't stand liver in any form.  

BTW, I no longer see the crab salad on the Le Bistro menu.

I hate liver but love this dish anyway.  The foie gras definitely does not taste liver-y, it's more like meat butter!

On 1/5/2023 at 7:17 PM, M4RK said:

I had this last week on the Encore, and there was no upcharge.

Good to hear!  I will definitely pay an upcharge for it on my next cruise if necessary, but would prefer not to have to.

1 hour ago, Lex1 said:

I hate liver but love this dish anyway.  The foie gras definitely does not taste liver-y, it's more like meat butter!

The amazing thing is everyone's favorite liver dish doesn't taste like liver.

If you have to make something taste like something it isn't, then why eat it?