Century Dry Dock

SkystheLimit

Has anyone sailed on a ship after such a major overhaul? We are booked on the cruise immediately after the Century refurbishment. Any chance the dates will change if the ship is not ready? We're thinking of booking our own air transportation to allow for a couple of extra days before and after the cruise. Would we better to book through Celebrity in case of changes?

I am watching the proposed rebuild carefully. If history is any indicator...the ship will be late getting out of the drydock. The amount of work is extensive and they are only giving themselves 30 days or so to do it. My guess is that the ship will be late by 2 weeks or more...but who knows...they might pull it off. I would say that you should book your air with Celebrity if the price is right. Mind you, that all of this is sheer speculation but you are smart to ask the questions now. If they do cancel you will probably get a great credit on a future cruise.

ROSS

Thanks for the input. Is there anywhere specifically to monitor the rebuilding schedule? I know she is not due to arrive in dry dock until the latter part of April. This cruise was a first choice for us because of the Le Havre port of call on June 6. My husband was born on June 6, 1944. According to our research, the Century is the only ship scheduled in Le Havre on June 6 so we really want to make this work.

MJ

The travel channel had a wonderful special a while back regarding the Enchantment of the Seas and the extensive drydock that involved cutting the ship in half, a much more intensive project. The were very concerned with the time schedule and did everything they could to ensure the ship was ready on time. They had many problems, but were able to overcome them and have the ship ready on time.

I would book it, but make sure you take out travel insurance to cover any problems that may arrise.

HI CHESSBRIAR, exactly my point. It took enchantment more than 1 month to do the renovation. CENTURY is being cut in half also. They are doing more or less the same thing as you saw done to ENCHANTMENT.

ROSS

Century is having a lot of work being done but there have been no reports that it is being cut in half. It seems to me someone would have mentioned this in their press releases and Celebrity has not. The TV series was very good and the Enchantment sailed on time out of drydock.

Has anyone sailed on a ship after such a major overhaul? We are booked on the cruise immediately after the Century refurbishment. Any chance the dates will change if the ship is not ready? We're thinking of booking our own air transportation to allow for a couple of extra days before and after the cruise. Would we better to book through Celebrity in case of changes?

Hi, SkystheLimit - we sailed on the Millennium immediately after a "routine" drydock last November, and that cruise was delayed by two days (the original drydock company went bankrupt and Celebrity had to find another on short notice). Our drydock involved none of the major work planned for Century. After some initial confusion Celebrity took care of flight changes, hotels for the two days, adequate compensation, etc. I've also heard of ships coming out of drydock but not really "done" and work still being performed during the first cruise, including (I believe) the one that CGTNormandie and Chessbriar mentioned. On our Millennium cruise they were still doing some construction in passenger areas during the daytime while we sailed!

IMHO, if I were you I'd book Celebrity air, so you won't be out any money in case the cruise is delayed and/or cancelled, but more importantly book it with a very flexible attitude. If they shift the cruise by two weeks at the last minute and offer you partial or full compensation, would you be upset? If they shorten it significantly, cancelling port stops, would you be upset? If they're still doing construction that might be noisy or might close off parts of the ship would you be upset?

Best case, the ship will be ready on time, sparkling like new, and you'll have a great cruise. :) Worst case, the cruise is delayed or cancelled, and Celebrity will offer you adequate to generous compensation. I would just caution you to keep your knees bent, and keep a flexible attitude!;)

Thanks for all of the advice. We have until next week for final payment and will give all of your thoughts consideration before proceeding. Being in Normandy on June 6 is VIP for us. We may have to consider a land cruise.

MJ

When did they air the special on the Enchantment? All I have seen has been about the Sovereign.

Your probably right, it was the three or four night special that involved the ship being cut in half. The one where they had all the fires during the work. If it was the Soverign, like I said your probably right. Senior moment

How did the move go....

I remember the fires, but it was never cut in half. I know they added on to the windjammer. The special was called Drydock: A Cruiseship reborn. They had a whole subplot about the clock. It was the Sovereign. I don't remember seeing one about Enchantment.

We actually close in three weeks and move four weeks from today. Very exciting and busy around here.

The first sailing is 9 nights starting on May 30th.

The official press release stated she would emerge June 2 from drydock.

Right hand... left hand.. right hand.... left hand... right hand.. left hand..

Anyone have a crystal ball?

BTW.. she's not being cut in half. Balconies are being added, the current spa area will be gutted the t-pool removed and the entire area... past Century cruisers won't recognize. Spa cafe will be added.

The current Sky Bar will be removed and the space will be occupied by some new suites.

The current seating area, portside, Plaza deck will be taken over by the specialty restaurant.

T Pool being taken out? What will be put in its place? What a shame.:(

I know that it is probably going to happen, but I just cant imagine it.

I am sailing on Century tomorrow. I will see if I can get confirmation of this, when I am on the ship.

The first sailing is 9 nights starting on May 30th.

The official press release stated she would emerge June 2 from drydock.

Right hand... left hand.. right hand.... left hand... right hand.. left hand..

Anyone have a crystal ball?

The crew member I spoke to said the renovation schedual was 50 days...they were planning holidays and contracts around that figure.

Best line on our last cruise...while Bruce Kidd was stranded in Italy waiting for a new ship to be delivered...they were well past the date...tee shirts were printed that said "Rome wasn't built in a day...now we know why" :D

Archived