Food question

BWR47CT

I don't think anyone ever said they don't have it, I just think most of us are so relaxed on vacation that we don't pay that much attention (ok the bloody marys don't help with this either). I would ask your TA to find out before I would ever bring my own.

A pet peeve of mine for breakfast - real maple syrup and properly made french toast - which is usually a failure at trying to get the kitchen to soak the custard through the bread and cook properly. 

I was able to get maple syrup on Explorer, BUT, initially, wait staff more than likely will have absolutely have no idea what it is and will consistently bring you that golden syrup junk or some other imitation of maple syrup and even insist that it is maple syrup.  They have it in the room service pantry in small jars (like in hotels).  You just need to get someone from F&B to get you some and keep some in the dining venue for you - they have it (or at least did have it).   

42 minutes ago, slidebite said:

That's interesting. I never would have imagined real maple syrup being, even remotely, a challenge to get on any Regent ship. From my experience it's just so ubiquitous in North America, especially breakfast.

Maple syrup has been adopted as a generic usage for just about any amber colored breakfast syrup.  The challenge was (maybe still is) getting the staff to understand they have it on board and its different than the breakfast syrup they serve generally.  That was my experience 10 months ago.  

On 1/11/2023 at 12:27 PM, Yankeeclipper1 said:

A pet peeve of mine for breakfast - real maple syrup and properly made french toast - which is usually a failure at trying to get the kitchen to soak the custard through the bread and cook properly. 

I was able to get maple syrup on Explorer, BUT, initially, wait staff more than likely will have absolutely have no idea what it is and will consistently bring you that golden syrup junk or some other imitation of maple syrup and even insist that it is maple syrup.  They have it in the room service pantry in small jars (like in hotels).  You just need to get someone from F&B to get you some and keep some in the dining venue for you - they have it (or at least did have it).   

The properly made french toast with custard through the bread is why I never order French toast anymore on any cruise line. I think there are many people that just want a thin coating on each side of the bread, and that isn't what I want. From the "maple" syrup that we've had on cruise ships, it's not what we use at home. We no longer live in the maple syrup producing part of the US NE, but even in Florida we can buy real maple syrup produced from maple trees in the NE.

While on a cruise, I can settle for eggs benedict for breakfast, and wait until I get home to make French toast with real maple syrup.

On our Navigator cruise last year, I am pretty sure we were given 100% maple syrup. The quality on what we put it on varied depending upon where we were. Compass Rose had decent pancakes and waffles, but the upstairs buffet/cook to order had some issues with both. And French Toast was hit and miss. Can't go wrong with their benedicts, however!