Greek Islands cruise, maybe from Barcelona?

Lorenky1

Hello. I’ve never been on a cruise before but we are thinking of taking a cruise of the Greek Islands. Maybe 7-9 nights. I don’t really know where to start. Are there particular cruise lines that are best for this area? We want something mid-range. We saw one cruise on Royal Caribbean which left from Barcelona and visited several ports in Greece, which looked perfect because we have some interest in seeing Barcelona as well. But they only list one date, in early November. Is that typical that cruise lines only have one date for a particular cruise in a calendar year? Thanks so much for the assistance. 

I doubt any 7 days cruise to Greece leaves from Barcelona. Maybe a one way cruise from Barcelona to Athens, since you will have some sea days or it might be a longer cruise.. Most 7 day Greek cruises leave from either Athens (the best one for Greece of course) and some from Venice or Rome. .

The cruise you mention is probably a position cruise on its way to e.g. Dubai. 

November is certainly not the best month for the Med. 

Thank you. No we have no desire to cruise in November and yes, it’s a one way cruise Barcelona to Athens, stopping at Santorini, Mykonos, etc.  So if it’s a position cruise it’s an early leg of a longer cruise? Something to get the boat where it needs to be? Would that be why it has  just one random date in a year? 

It sounds like it isn’t a common route, and I should  focus more on the more common routes. Too bad, I liked the idea of seeing both Barcelona and Greece. . Thanks. 

11 minutes ago, Lorenky1 said:

Thank you. No we have no desire to cruise in November and yes, it’s a one way cruise Barcelona to Athens, stopping at Santorini, Mykonos, etc.  So if it’s a position cruise it’s an early leg of a longer cruise? Something to get the boat where it needs to be? Would that be why it has  just one random date in a year? 

It sounds like it isn’t a common route, and I should  focus more on the more common routes. Too bad, I liked the idea of seeing both Barcelona and Greece. . Thanks. 

Which Royal Caribbean ship? What date?

31 minutes ago, Lorenky1 said:

As mentioned you might find another one way cruise Barcelona to Athens but most of them will be at least 12 days and  longer. It could be a combination of 2 cruises.

When I am searching for cruises in a particular area, instead of rooting through the cruise line websites, I go to www.cruisetimetables.com.  If there is a particular port I want to visit, I choose that port in the ‘cruises to’ list, then the time of year I want to travel.  It then tells me who calls there, and their itineraries.  It’s a wonderful site to get lost in, but it is not a travel agency or a forum.  EM

7 hours ago, Lorenky1 said:

We were thinking of 2nd  or 3rd week of September for this cruise to Greece, is this too late in the season? Looking for still warm weather, and chance to swim at some of the beaches.

That is excellent! Yes it will be warm enough and a bit less busy as in July or August. 

12 hours ago, Lorenky1 said:

We were thinking of 2nd  or 3rd week of September for this cruise to Greece, is this too late in the season? Looking for still warm weather, and chance to swim at some of the beaches.

Keep in mind that beaches in the Mediterranean are not smooth and sandy like the Caribbean.  Most are rocky, not what you are imagining.  People don’t sail the Mediterranean to go to the beach.  EM

That’s a reasonable question. We’re trying to combine this with a two week trip to France, and also had some interest in seeing Barcelona, so when I saw that open jaw cruise, I thought we could combine it all. I’m beginning to think that’s not a good idea, though, and we should dedicate a separate trip to the Greek islands. I’m interested in the comment that I shouldn’t expect fabulous beaches, isn’t that one of the things Greece is famous for? Perhaps not? Are you saying that the beaches in Greece really aren’t that great compared to let’s say Hawaii? Interesting.

Why don’t you ask on the Ports of Call board here that covers Greece?  I e been to Santorini and Mykonos several times, and I like to just wander in the iconic Greek atmosphere.  But the best cruise in Greece was part of a land trip and included a four day cruise on a line that was called Louis Lines, now Celestyal Cruises.  They have much smaller, older ships, cabins are basic, but the service and food were terrific.  In four days we visited six islands.  From Piraeus to Mykonos, Patmos, Samos ( substituted for Kusadasi because of security issues), Rhodes, Crete, Santorini.  They run 3,4, and 7 day cruises and you can board at any of the ports.  EM

3 hours ago, Lorenky1 said:

That’s a reasonable question. We’re trying to combine this with a two week trip to France, and also had some interest in seeing Barcelona, so when I saw that open jaw cruise, I thought we could combine it all. I’m beginning to think that’s not a good idea, though, and we should dedicate a separate trip to the Greek islands. I’m interested in the comment that I shouldn’t expect fabulous beaches, isn’t that one of the things Greece is famous for? Perhaps not? Are you saying that the beaches in Greece really aren’t that great compared to let’s say Hawaii? Interesting.

What I would do w your France, Barcelona and Greek Islands itinerary would be to do your Barcelona touring and fly from Barcelona to Athens.  A trip to France, Barcelona and Greece would be a really cool trip.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

Thanks. Yes, was thinking 2 weeks driving around southern France, 5-6 nights in Barcelona and then fly to Athens to take a cruise. That’s why the cruise from Barcelona to Athens was so appealing. It would get me where I want to be and avoid an extra flight. The cruise timetable is very helpful, helping me clarify what is available.