Q3 cabins on QM2 - feedback

NE John

Having sailed Britannia grade on QM2 (TA) and QE (one to Crimea & Ukraine on in 2012 of all places!), I’m looking to upgrade to QG for our next voyage. 

I would appreciate any feedback from those who stayed in the forward Q3 QG on QM 2. The bedroom/bathroom/closet-wardrobe area seem very roomy and nice along with ample living area and close to 800 sf. The forward view must be unique. 
But…What about not having a balcony?

There not a lot of comments regarding Q3, those few seem meh…

I look forward to pro’s/con’s from actual experience of staying in Q3. 
First time poster on CC and I value the comments from so many veteran Cunarders. 
TY

These are the least desirable cabins and are often the last booked according to both the information I read on here and also based on my last sailing, (only remaining suites in QG), I was trying to move my cabin.

The configuration is awkward and the shades are pulled down every night as these cabins are under the bridge and interfere with navigation.

I looked into this and did a search on the board and found this and more,

35 minutes ago, Jacqueline said:

These are the least desirable cabins and are often the last booked according to both the information I read on here and also based on my last sailing, (only remaining suites in QG), I was trying to move my cabin.

The configuration is awkward and the shades are pulled down every night as these cabins are under the bridge and interfere with navigation.

I looked into this and did a search on the board and found this and more,

Aren't they also a whole lot more expensive than "standard" QGs all along each side?

As for balconies, that would depend on time of year: I chose a port side QG for a westward crossing in October and it was very pleasant and warm on half the days in the sun and out of the wind. A starboard side balcony in the conditions we had would've been almost worthless. 

Plus forward suites will be the worst anywhere for ship movement

The "standard" QGs on QM2 are plenty roomy enough in my opinion and will be a lovely upgrade from Britannia

• Like 1

16 hours ago, NE John said:

Has anyone actually stated in Q3 Royal Suite on QM2 that can discuss first-hand how it was on a voyage? Missed not having a balcony? any front of the ship movement issues? drawing curtains?

Most of us probably can’t afford it…!

Two issues with the cabins - movement and curtains - are facts. whether you mind movement or not is up to you!  For sure it’ll move more relative to other cabins because the bow moves the most if there’s movement to be had. The neutral point is about 2/3rds of the way back so it could move up to twice as much as a stern cabin; for sure on recent October crossing Illuminations - at the bow - was rather uncomfortable on one day compared with other parts of the ship (for an art lecture that day in the Queens Room - given by Alex these are highly recommended -  at the stern our chairs were sliding around) 

Given the movement we experienced in Illuminations - which is low down so less movement than higher up - we wouldn’t want a forward cabin of any type. Maybe we are a bit chicken…

the curtains in Commodore Club are closed at dusk, so presumably the rule applies to all forward facing windows as has been stated here. There again what are you going to see after  dusk?! 

11 minutes ago, buchanan101 said:

Most of us probably can’t afford it…!

Two issues with the cabins - movement and curtains - are facts. whether you mind movement or not is up to you!  For sure it’ll move more relative to other cabins because the bow moves the most if there’s movement to be had. The neutral point is about 2/3rds of the way back so it could move up to twice as much as a stern cabin; for sure on recent October crossing Illuminations - at the bow - was rather uncomfortable on one day compared with other parts of the ship (for an art lecture that day in the Queens Room - given by Alex these are highly recommended -  at the stern our chairs were sliding around) 

Given the movement we experienced in Illuminations - which is low down so less movement than higher up - we wouldn’t want a forward cabin of any type. Maybe we are a bit chicken…

the curtains in Commodore Club are closed at dusk, so presumably the rule applies to all forward facing windows as has been stated here. There again what are you going to see after  dusk?! 

The moon, the stars, the waves’ white frills, the lights of passing ships, light houses.

• Like 1

@NE John

Have you tried Googling "Q3 Royal Suite on QM2"?

That brought up some YouTube videos for me. One practical comment was that the cabin is directly under the fog horn, so that might be louder than in other locations.

I wouldn't be bothered by being forward. Stena briefly used a ferry that we liked on their Harwich - Hook of Holland route, which we used regularly in the 1990s. It had some larger forward facing cabins, which were on a par with those on cruise ships. I would however prefer midships near a stairwell to save time  moving around the ship.

12 hours ago, exlondoner said:

The moon, the stars, the waves’ white frills, the lights of passing ships, light houses.

Ok, but passing ships on a crossing (actually, that was an assumption for QM2, the trip under consideration may well not be!)... spotted a distant tanker once on ours. 

Still have windows to the side to see most of the above

7 minutes ago, buchanan101 said:

Ok, but passing ships on a crossing (actually, that was an assumption for QM2, the trip under consideration may well not be!)... spotted a distant tanker once on ours. 

Still have windows to the side to see most of the above

No windows on the side in a Q3.
Yes, I think my max is three ships on a crossing, though one of them was Norway, which was worth a hundred.

Just now, exlondoner said:

No windows on the side in a Q3.
Yes, I think my max is three ships on a crossing, though one of them was Norway, which was worth a hundred.

Oh! sorry... assumed wrongly. Now looking at the plans - these are 10001 and 10002?

Have they always had these names - the suites - because if so this would have ended any speculation about what QA was going to be called, surely? (Queen Camilla? Seriously?)

image.png.4a82004cf67dc89b6583071a7da7556d.png

8 hours ago, buchanan101 said:

Oh! sorry... assumed wrongly. Now looking at the plans - these are 10001 and 10002?

Have they always had these names - the suites - because if so this would have ended any speculation about what QA was going to be called, surely? (Queen Camilla? Seriously?)

image.png.4a82004cf67dc89b6583071a7da7556d.png

Yes, those Q2 and Q3 Queens Grill suites on QM2 have always been named for those four queens. Here is what's shown on the earliest QM2 deck plans I have from 2005. Same names and categories, just different colors used on the deck plans back then.

1573976291_QM2QueensGrillSuitesDeck10Forward.jpg.9cc2baabb2bcdb26b2449d1c9c5d5e53.jpg

That naming scheme for those four suites was indeed brought up on this forum during discussions about possibilities for the new ship's name to support Queen Anne being the likely name for the new ship.

• Like 2