Nonrefundable deposit vs. refundable deposit.

EllieinNJ

I've always wanted to try Celebrity and now with the Amex offer the cost matches the other lines I've been on 

There is a cruise I would like to book in May 2024 that would be an extension of another cruise I have booked on another line.  The difference in non and refundable is $180 for two without perks.  Being it's so far away and things might change if I book non refundable could the deposit be transferred to another cruise?  I'll probably be putting down $1500 for two Amex offers.  And if I book refundable can I also move the deposit to another date?  I hope this is clear enough.

Given all the changes going on in the industry, if the difference is really only $180, I would certainly opt for fully refundable.  

FYI, if you do any significant alcoholic drinking while on a cruise then the All Included makes sense vs any of the packages that have gotten VERY expensive. Almost prohibitively expensive.

Also, these days you might want to look into travel insurance that covers bankruptcy for cruises that far out.

• Thanks 1

Non-refundable deposits have a $100 fee per person with the remaining returning to you in future cruise credit if you cancel.  So yes, you could move it to a different cruise but you would likely lose $100 per person.

I haven't seen the difference between the two fares that small lately but generally, we don't pay extra for a refundable deposit.  I feel like that is betting against us going.  And we personally so rarely have to cancel or move a cruise so I feel enough certainty to go with a non-refundable deposit.  So the question is, do you want to pay $180 more for your cruise or risk losing $100 per person if something comes up?

• Thanks 1

I also always book non-refundable fares.   For many of the suites the difference can but $1,500 - $2,000 more for a refundable.   

As others have said if you need to make a change, you are charged an administrative charge of $100 per passenger.   It is quickest and easiest to transfer your existing booking to a new cruise as opposed to waiting 4-6 weeks to get a FCC.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for your replies.  I never booked non refundable so thought I would lose the whole $500 deposit.  And never cancelled a cruise willingly.  We do not drink so no perks would be best for us.  Now to make the decision.