Booking Guarantee Balcony - does it matter when?

We are looking at booking our first RCL cruise and would be booking a Guarantee Balcony. Does anyone know (or suspect) how they are assigned? Does the earlier you book make it more likely you will get a better location?

We are looking at Hawaii 10 day Sept 2024 on the Brilliance of the Seas. The available rooms to book are VERY limited which I find odd being so far out. I am guessing they hold blocks for GTY?   Could the cruise really be largely booked for a Sept 2024 sailing already?

7 minutes ago, rodndonna said:

Does the earlier you book make it more likely you will get a better location?

No, the assignment process/criteria is a mystery - though you'll get plenty of guesses. Good chance you'll get a deck 6 E cat balcony sometime between booking and sailing.

Edited by Biker19
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks!

It's odd they don't have GTY for Balcony (non-obstructed)- just the whole range of balconies. If they did I would just go GTY for non-obstructed, but looks like I have to select a cabin to avoid obstructed balconies.

2 minutes ago, rodndonna said:

It's odd they don't have GTY for Balcony (non-obstructed)- just the whole range of balconies.

Bookings in NA usually don't for ships below O class. In other markets and sometimes in NA, they have sub-category specific GTYs available.

Edited by Biker19
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, rodndonna said:

Thanks!

It's odd they don't have GTY for Balcony (non-obstructed)- just the whole range of balconies. If they did I would just go GTY for non-obstructed, but looks like I have to select a cabin to avoid obstructed

Have you researched obstructed balconies on Brilliance? Are you sure it would be a problem for you? As I recall, most if the balconies marked as obstructed on that class of ship have a clear view straight out so you have a great view, though if you stand at the rail and look straight down you see a lifeboat cover.    Personally, I can live with that.  I do not recall any balconies with obstructions I’d find unacceptable.  (Different story on a different class of ships, but you only need to know about Brilliance today).  Research the obstruction on that ship a bit yourself (pics online), consider the price difference, then decide.

As you are from NA, after your cabin is assigned, typically they will allow you to swap if another cabin in the exact same category is available that you like better.  Of course, sometimes there are no cabins left in your exact category or very few (perhaps none that you like better)

1 hour ago, Starry Eyes said:

Have you researched obstructed balconies on Brilliance? Are you sure it would be a problem for you? As I recall, most if the balconies marked as obstructed on that class of ship have a clear view straight out so you have a great view, though if you stand at the rail and look straight down you see a lifeboat cover.    Personally, I can live with that.  I do not recall any balconies with obstructions I’d find unacceptable.  (Different story on a different class of ships, but you only need to know about Brilliance today).  Research the obstruction on that ship a bit yourself (pics online), consider the price difference, then decide.

As you are from NA, after your cabin is assigned, typically they will allow you to swap if another cabin in the exact same category is available that you like better.  Of course, sometimes there are no cabins left in your exact category or very few (perhaps none that you like better)

Thanks Starry,  I haven't yet checked out stateroom tour videos and pictures but will do that.  

Looks like a GTY would only save about $60 for the cabin, not worth the savings, based on todays prices from our TA. . There is only one cruise per year on Brilliance Vancouver to Hawaii.  Yes the ship will sell out quickly,  four port stops in Hawaii and a balcony will be in demand. Portside cabin if you want all day sun on the 8 sea days.  Very good chance GTY cabin assignment will be after final payment date.  Did Quantum Vancouver to Hawaii two months ago, very crappy rainy weather but the seas were very calm.

45 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

Looks like a GTY would only save about $60 for the cabin, not worth the savings, based on todays prices from our TA. . There is only one cruise per year on Brilliance Vancouver to Hawaii.  Yes the ship will sell out quickly,  four port stops in Hawaii and a balcony will be in demand. Portside cabin if you want all day sun on the 8 sea days.  Very good chance GTY cabin assignment will be after final payment date.  Did Quantum Vancouver to Hawaii two months ago, very crappy rainy weather but the seas were very calm.

Thanks. I think you are right - there really is not point to booking GTY. I had originally thought we could book it and get upgraded to non-obstructed, but sounds not likely.

Have looked at the deck 7 obstructed and they look fine for us! 

We're not 'sun' people, so probably avoid portside then I guess... starboard mid ship ..?

25 minutes ago, rodndonna said:

Thanks. I think you are right - there really is not point to booking GTY. I had originally thought we could book it and get upgraded to non-obstructed, but sounds not likely.

Have looked at the deck 7 obstructed and they look fine for us! 

We're not 'sun' people, so probably avoid portside then I guess... starboard mid ship ..?

I would go midship just in cases the seas are rough. We had deck 12 very forward and felt no rocking the entire trip on Quantum.  Use a Uber or ship transfer at the Honolulu airport, we used the taxi service and the lines were awful and it was hot.  You have a great cruise planned, happy cruising

• Thanks 1

Not really, pretty sure they are assigned randomly a few weeks before sail from the "leftover" rooms. I got level 6 with the view of... 2 large boats. Disappointed and regretting the decision to get GTY, as the "picking your own cabin" price is just a hundred dollars different.

10 hours ago, ksuyen said:

Not really, pretty sure they are assigned randomly a few weeks before sail from the "leftover" rooms. I got level 6 with the view of... 2 large boats. Disappointed and regretting the decision to get GTY, as the "picking your own cabin" price is just a hundred dollars different.

Thanks -  after readying all the replies here, we booked 7604 (Brilliance of the Seas) which is on the rounded out part of the deck by the atrium which should limit the obstruction below us. Might be a bit noisier, but we are OK with that (we sleep with white noise playing). It was about $100 total to select the room so like you say, not worth the gamble.