Kona Beaches?

ULCajunCruiser

Are there any decent beaches near Kona.   It's a tender port for us, so that brings its own set of coming and going problems.   Beach would need to have facilities and food.  Any suggestions on how to get to/from this beach??  Any information would be appreciated.

On 1/9/2023 at 2:14 PM, ULCajunCruiser said:

Are there any decent beaches near Kona.   It's a tender port for us, so that brings its own set of coming and going problems.   Beach would need to have facilities and food.  Any suggestions on how to get to/from this beach??  Any information would be appreciated.

Based on what you said, my opinion is, no, there are no decent beaches near Kona.

• Like 1

We've snorkeled at the beach right next to the tender pier in Kona, in front of the King Kamehameha hotel.  Considering how incredibly easy it was, the snorkeling was pretty decent.  There are plenty of food options with an easy walk.  

Aloha!

• Thanks 1

There are "facilities" on the pier right next to Kamakahonu Beach--public rest room and outdoor shower. There is food/drink available at the hotel right next to the beach.  There might be day passes available at some of the resorts on the South Kohala coast but some of those resorts don't really have a good beach.   They are also quite a ways from the tender port.  The sand beaches are mostly state parks with facilities but no food.

That was our experience.  We showered the sand off right there. 

Ululani‘s Hawaiian Shave Ice is right in the hotel, it is one of the better shave ice chains in the islands. We've never tried that location, but have been several times to the ones in Lahaina and Khei on Maui. It has always been excellent.  

There are numerous restaurants across the street.

Aloha 

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/13/2023 at 6:39 AM, CRUZBUDS said:

PS - There is a nice sand beach there also. This is the name - Kamakahonu Beach

Aloha! 

I would agree that Kamakahonu is super easy from the tenders, but I would not consider this a “nice” beach, and considering there is a ribbon of brown water runoff consistently near the entrance I’m highly unlikely to ever swim there.

You can see Kamakahonu beach in these photos I took this morning. The first pic is a zoom in on the beach from the opposite site of the bay. The second pic is the other side of the bay (which looked better to me). The other photos are various beaches within walking distance of the pier. I would not suggest Kona for a beach day. 

F0BC3D0A-42B2-4F43-AD94-A1A79808F8AB.jpeg

9858B17D-0305-410A-A2DB-3758F7FCFAD0.jpeg

69020BF4-83BA-48F6-98D6-08407B8C9500.jpeg

DDDA74EA-0F43-4AF0-A6EE-FDDCE1D73B9D.jpeg

Edited by BermudaBound2014