Kona diy

Mom2togirls

On 7/20/2023 at 2:48 AM, mskaufman said:

We DIY'd Kona last week.  In the morning we did shopping and took pictures along the shore.  Lots of waves.  In the afternoon we went to the beach by the tender port.  Was a little crowded but did the trick.  Also had a fair amount of shaved ice.

Was all of this within walking distance, so you didn't need a car or Taxi?

20 hours ago, jebhoward3 said:

Does Kona still have a Farmer's Market that is just a few blocks from the pier.  We like to get fresh ripe and almost ripe Rainbow Papaya and limes.  It's been a lot of years since we have been to Kona.

You might want to check if you can bring fruit back on the ship. I know they check when flying back to the lower 48.

Yes, we always check with the cruise people about bringing fruit on board from ports in Hawaii and in French Polynesia and the answer has always been Yes.  But things can change, one never knows.  Same thing with flowers, we check to make sure it's ok.  Can get beautiful flower arrangements for very little money at Farmer's Markets.  We enjoy the fruit and flowers while onboard the ship.  No way would I try to take them home,  Would need to grow more arms and hands.

Again, does anyone know if Farmer's Market, that is within walking distance to Kona port/pier, is still up and running?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jebhoward3 said:

Again, does anyone know if Farmer's Market, that is within walking distance to Kona port/pier, is still up and running?

Yes, It's open Wednesdays through Sundays between 7 a.m. and 4 p.m.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/14/2023 at 8:04 PM, teachingforme said:

We rented the dune buggies and had so much fun. One of the dune buggies was an automatic. The front seats are way easier to get in than the back seat if you get a 4 seater. Basically you step on the seat, hold on to the roll bar, lift other leg and scoot down into seat.  

I was able to get into the back seat (not a pretty site the first time but it got easier). My 77 year old dad was also able to get in the back seat.

Thanks so much for reporting back.  We will be there in one month.  I am really looking forward to this.  We have the automatic booked.  

On 7/19/2023 at 8:53 PM, philv said:

We screwed up last year on NCL Pride of America stop at Kona. We thought we could just walk about and enjoy but not so. Spent a lot of time walking and not seeing anything interesting. Next time in 2024 we intend to structure something more definite to enjoy the day. We like beach days and want to hang on a beautiful beach. Loved Kona but didn’t organize properly.

So glad you posted this.  That's just what I thought we would do, as we have excursions on our 3 stops before Kona in November  Now I'll be looking for suggestions!