Problem entering passport info

Trish Traveler

I still have plenty of time to solve this issue for a March cruise.  But, before I call Princess, has anyone had a problem entering passport name and it tells me it is not valid?  My cruise is reserved in my first, middle and last name - which is identical to my first, middle and last name on passport.  When I enter it manually, it says invalid.  If I leave off my middle name, it will take it, but I'm concerned as it won't match my passport at the pier.  I even tried scanning the passport on the app and it wouldn't accept it.  Husband's was fine, but he has no middle name.

6 minutes ago, Trish Traveler said:

I still have plenty of time to solve this issue for a March cruise.  But, before I call Princess, has anyone had a problem entering passport name and it tells me it is not valid?  My cruise is reserved in my first, middle and last name - which is identical to my first, middle and last name on passport.  When I enter it manually, it says invalid.  If I leave off my middle name, it will take it, but I'm concerned as it won't match my passport at the pier.  I even tried scanning the passport on the app and it wouldn't accept it.  Husband's was fine, but he has no middle name.

I have a friend who had a similar issue last year. She ended up putting both her first and middle names in the first name field. It worked, but then the crew members called her by both names...

The issue is the middle name. Just leave it off and the app will accept it.  His middle name and yours are on your bookings.  And the first and last names entered will match the passport. The passport will be verified at the terminal at check in. 

we had same issue with the app and have cruised numerous times with no issue.

I remember that I had a similarly frustrating problem with mine, but I dont remember the solution. I dont remember if it was a hanging space, or if putting my middle name with my first resolved the situation, but I think that one of those did solve it!

I hope that this helps!

1 hour ago, shellbeachjim said:

I have a friend who had a similar issue last year. She ended up putting both her first and middle names in the first name field. It worked, but then the crew members called her by both names...

When I was called by both names it usually meant I was in big trouble!  😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Shelly97060 said:

The issue is the middle name. Just leave it off and the app will accept it.  His middle name and yours are on your bookings.  And the first and last names entered will match the passport. The passport will be verified at the terminal at check in. 

we had same issue with the app and have cruised numerous times with no issue.

Agreed!  DW name contains two "middle names" and it gives us constant trouble on the Princess app.  It cuts off the last character of the second middle name.  Just another example of the shoddy programming that was done by the app devs.  They did not allow enough characters for that field to be compatible with generally accepted programming technique.  (I retired from IT...)  But @Shelly97060 (I believe) has nailed it.  Princess has the "real" middle names on file and should present no issues at check in.

Another less common possibility:  Our last name is one word with two capitalized letters (for example, MacD....).  In the last decade or so, we have had government agencies (passports, drivers licenses, voter registration, etc.) insert a space so the last name reads MAC D.....  Obviously that is because names are programmed to be capital letters and the space is supposed to differentiate the true uppercase letters from lower case letters.  If you have a last name spelled similarly, insert a space.

Same problem for me, so what I entered and what my passport says do not match. I’m certainly hoping there won’t be a problem Tuesday at the dock. I do have multiple IDs with the same name, including middle name. 

2 hours ago, tchk said:

Same problem for me, so what I entered and what my passport says do not match. I’m certainly hoping there won’t be a problem Tuesday at the dock. I do have multiple IDs with the same name, including middle name. 

Welcome to CruiseCritic!

2 hours ago, LouiseArtichoke said:

I had the same problem last week.  I called Princess and spoke with a very nice young man who helps with getting "Ocean Ready."  He confirmed that you only need to put in your first & last names, which I did while he monitored  as I was entering the info.  It worked perfectly!

And I see that you are relatively new as well with only 25 posts...Welcome!

19 hours ago, LouiseArtichoke said:

I had the same problem last week.  I called Princess and spoke with a very nice young man who helps with getting "Ocean Ready."  He confirmed that you only need to put in your first & last names, which I did while he monitored  as I was entering the info.  It worked perfectly!

Yes, I called and did the same.  Thank you everyone. 😎