Allure of the Seas dress code

PatricF

Just got off Allure.  I used to bring evening dresses and my husband took his Air Force Mess Dress.  We really enjoyed dressing up.  We just take dressier clothing now.  I don’t get my hair done.  We don’t get photos taken.  The captain is not there taking photos.  We are not wearing shorts, we just don’t do the fancy dress up clothing anymore.

15 hours ago, Jam0610 said:

We just came off the Allure in May. The dress code is very lax. 

Last Thursday we came off the Adventure of the Seas out of Galveston. The dress code was even more relaxed. Very few dressing up even on Formal Night.

Will say I thought it odd they had Formal Night scheduled for Super Bowl Sunday. Heck we never even made it to dinner.

Had Valentines Dinner in Chops. Young man at the table next to us was wearing shorts, flip flops, and a bright blue Blockbuster T Shirt. At least he had a Cowboy hat on.

Just came off the Odyssey. They had Super Bowl listed as formal night. The day before they changed it. We didn’t see it was changed in the Compass so we ended up dressing formal 3 times on an 8 day cruise. Yes, we still wear a gown and tux.

10 hours ago, Tazdeb2180 said:

On our last cruise there was a formal night, a Caribbean nigh, and a dress to impress night. I'd say 90% of the people dressed accordingly. On formal night and dress to impress night woman wore nice dresses (like one would wear going to a wedding) while men wore nice slacks white shirt and ties and the occasional suit coat. Saw no tuxes. This was the case in the MDR and specialty restaurants. On Caribbean night jeans with Hawaiian shirts were the norm. All other nights it was anything goes from shorts and t shirts to dress up in the MDR. Most men had jeans and collared shirts and women wore date night clothes. Nobody cares what you or anyone else is wearing. Have a great time. 

I have never been on a Caribbean cruise where I didn’t see any tuxes/gowns and have been on plenty of them.

9 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Please explain.  Why do so many people pay attention to those OTHER than in their dining party? 

What would you think of someone wearing shorts to a wedding if the wedding wasn’t casual? Just saying.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

Just came off the Odyssey. They had Super Bowl listed as formal night. The day before they changed it. We didn’t see it was changed in the Compass so we ended up dressing formal 3 times on an 8 day cruise. Yes, we still wear a gown and tux.

I have never been on a Caribbean cruise where I didn’t see any tuxes/gowns and have been on plenty of them.

What would you think of someone wearing shorts to a wedding if the wedding wasn’t casual? Just saying.

Then it's between the bride and groom and the guests that wore shorts, right?  As another guest, it has no impact on me.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ReneeFLL said:

Someone wearing shorts to a wedding is a reflection of their respect extended to the bride and groom and not the others.   A cruise is not funded by the bride or groom or others.  For most it is funded by their own wallet and so they dress as they see fit.  Comparing a wedding to dinner time cruise attire is laughable.  

By the way.  I’ve been to plenty of weddings where shorts were suggested attire.  When you live near the beach this isn’t uncommon.  I’m be shouldn’t be shocked when folks want to wear shorts in tropical weather environments.  

18 hours ago, Kathamo said:

I came to ask the same question! The official "dress code" on the Royal Caribbean website seems wildly out of step with what people are describing in these forums.

What I would like to know is: What should we wear to the MDR, to speciality restaurants, and on formal nights that would "fit in" with the general norm of dress? Because it sounds like almost nobody is following the cruise line suggestion of wearing sport coats on "smart casual" nights and tuxedos on formal night.

My goal is not to get away with the most casual attire possible because I don't like feeling under-dressed; I just want to know what most people actually wear that doesn't get side-eye from other guests and staff.

giphy.gif

That there is the rub.  People don't want to follow the cruiseline guideline and suggestions. As a society, unless it's a rule or law, we tend to want to do our own thing. Also, RC doesn't enforce it (they used to as I witnessed) anymore, giving people even more reason to ignore the suggested guidelines.  

I tend to follow the suggested guidelines except on formal night.  For years, I didn't go to the dining room on formal night because I didn't want to dress up to the nines.  Now, I go, wearing smart casual like I do on other nights.  

Personally, I don't care what other people wear.  I care about what I wear though LOL To each his own.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, slyster said:

That there is the rub.  People don't want to follow the cruiseline guideline and suggestions. As a society, unless it's a rule or law, we tend to want to do our own thing. Also, RC doesn't enforce it (they used to as I witnessed) anymore, giving people even more reason to ignore the suggested guidelines.  

I tend to follow the suggested guidelines except on formal night.  For years, I didn't go to the dining room on formal night because I didn't want to dress up to the nines.  Now, I go, wearing smart casual like I do on other nights.  

Personally, I don't care what other people wear.  I care about what I wear though LOL To each his own.

The key here is the word suggested vs required.  They realize there are many who won’t cruise if they have to get dressed up every night or even a couple nights.  So formal or even smart casual is suggested, not required.   And luggage restrictions when flying add to the issue.  Folks don’t want to pay for a bag just to bring a suit they don’t want to wear on vacation.  

Folks who complain about this stuff crack me up.  People dress in different ways depending on where they live.  In Florida you can go to one of the nicest restaurants in a given area and you will see many people wearing shorts.  It’s hot most of the year and folks like to be comfortable.   Why would it be different in the Caribbean where it is further south and even more casual.  

One of my favorite things about beach trips is the packing.  Tee shirts, bathing suits, shorts, and flip flops.  Nothing more and no stress worrying.  Many feel the same about a cruise.  I still dress appropriately for dinner on a cruise, but I have zero problems with how others decide to dress.  Makes zero difference to me how others dress assuming they aren’t naked or near naked.  

8 hours ago, Kathamo said:

This has been the case in most human societies for centuries. I can’t explain it; it just is what it is. Maybe a sociologist will have more insight. 

I love this.  I am a sociology major.  I need to think about this as a research paper.  Depending on the society and culture, cultural norms dictate how people behave. In America, we do have a sense of entitlement, because of the freedoms given to us.  We push boundaries all the time. As long as we do not break laws or rules, we use our freedom to do what we want.  I could go on and on.  LOL!

We also sometimes have a tendency to judge others who don't conform to our opinions and norms.  We see that all the time!  Not just on cruise ships 😉

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, topnole said:

The key here is the word suggested vs required.  They realize there are many who won’t cruise if they have to get dressed up every night or even a couple nights.  So formal or even smart casual is suggested, not required.   And luggage restrictions when flying add to the issue.  Folks don’t want to pay for a bag just to bring a suit they don’t want to wear on vacation.  

Folks who complain about this stuff crack me up.  People dress in different ways depending on where they live.  In Florida you can go to one of the nicest restaurants in a given area and you will see many people wearing shorts.  It’s hot most of the year and folks like to be comfortable.   Why would it be different in the Caribbean where it is further south and even more casual.  

One of my favorite things about beach trips is the packing.  Tee shirts, bathing suits, shorts, and flip flops.  Nothing more and no stress worrying.  Many feel the same about a cruise.  I still dress appropriately for dinner on a cruise, but I have zero problems with how others decide to dress.  Makes zero difference to me how others dress assuming they aren’t naked or near naked.  

I agree with you.  I can't worry what other people do.  It makes for a miserable time. I am also a casual person who hates dressing up.  I do try to adhere to the suggestions though.  I just can't worry about other people because it's none of my business anyway.

3 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

You just did

Admittedly I am threading the needle here a bit. I should have said that what “I” choose to wear is a sign of respect, because that’s my intent, and that clothing choices are often perceived as a sign of respect by others (also true).

I assume that most people who dress more casually than the guidelines don’t think about it that way and don’t intend to show disrespect, so I’m not going to judge them for it. In other words, I don’t hold others to the same standards as myself. 

Hope that clarifies. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kathamo said:

Admittedly I am threading the needle here a bit. I should have said that what “I” choose to wear is a sign of respect, because that’s my intent, and that clothing choices are often perceived as a sign of respect by others (also true).

I assume that most people who dress more casually than the guidelines don’t think about it that way and don’t intend to show disrespect, so I’m not going to judge them for it. In other words, I don’t hold others to the same standards as myself. 

Hope that clarifies. 

We haven't been on a cruise for about 10 years and I seriously want to go on another Royal Caribbean cruise, but my wife wanted to know what the dress code is now, I told her it's nothing like in the past, sort of like what we have here in Florida or St Martin, she said we so much enjoyed the atmosphere and beautiful surroundings it's not worth it, I agreed.    

Good Luck and have fun.

On 2/20/2023 at 10:03 AM, topnole said:

…By the way.  I’ve been to plenty of weddings where shorts were suggested attire.  When you live near the beach this isn’t uncommon.  I’m be shouldn’t be shocked when folks want to wear shorts in tropical weather environments.  

Funny how people are fine wearing what the suggested attire is when it is shorts, but have a problem when Royals suggested attire is more formal.

• Like 1

On 2/20/2023 at 3:20 PM, ronandcarla said:

We haven't been on a cruise for about 10 years and I seriously want to go on another Royal Caribbean cruise, but my wife wanted to know what the dress code is now, I told her it's nothing like in the past, sort of like what we have here in Florida or St Martin, she said we so much enjoyed the atmosphere and beautiful surroundings it's not worth it, I agreed.    

Good Luck and have fun.

Historically, clothing or related attire isn’t typically a sign of respect.  It is almost always signaling of some type and it has little to do with respect (weddings and church may be the slight exceptions exceptions but even still signaling is significant here).  Often the signaling involved one’s socio-economic status. In more modern times it might also be to flaunt one’s physique to signal how healthy you are (tight shirt for men or short and tight dress on women, etc.).  However, many folks don’t care about socio-economic status anymore.  Clothing is a signal in some cultures, but not so much in the US or the signaling is different.  It’s cool to be casual now.  There’s a lot that goes into how we dress and why.  To me, very little of it has to do with respect for others.  Most of it has to do with how much people want to signal to others.  

Now I’m sure we all agree that attire says something about a person.  But I really don’t think it says that much about how they respect others.  But it does say something and that is why everyone signals something in the way they dress.  

On 2/19/2023 at 9:31 PM, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Please explain.  Why do so many people pay attention to those OTHER than in their dining party? 

And there is no dress code.  There is a suggestion, not a code.  My meal never changed its taste after I saw someone in shorts or a tank top, not one bit.  I don't understand the busybody mentality. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, neverbeenhere said:

Maximum Posters probably shouldn’t wonder about the level busyness in bodies.  They’re supposed to be retired. 

Wear what you will. Half of us will look great. This half will look okay. 

Retired, not dead.  Still very inquisitive.  

I don't quite understand the point of the MDR unless there are some standards, but I assume that I am in the minority now which is fine. It has just become more important in our culture to preserve the individual right of choice instead of insisting on some arbitrary standard. While some people consider wearing flipflops, shorts, and tank top on formal night to be a perfectly acceptable choice, I just assume it is because they are a slob and can't be bothered to go back to the cabin and change for dinner. I don't get upset by it or glare at the people. That is just who we are now as a society. There is nothing special about going on a cruise that warrants any special care or planning. It may have been something that grandpa's generation cared about, but things change.

walle-socialnetwork05.jpg?w=620