World Club membership

samarai27

1 hour ago, bluemarble said:

That's interesting. So apparently there are two different formats for UK CWC numbers:

AA999999A  (9 total characters)

CUAA99999A  (10 total characters)

where "A" in any letter and "9" is any digit.

Just curious for those of you in the UK, which of these formats are you seeing for your CWC number and are there any other variations?

There was only a single “A” in DW’s two letter prefix.   No “A” anywhere in mine.

No “9” in any digit.

Looking back at some booking confirmations, Cunard seem to have dropped the “CU” showing the CWC Number as AA99999A, so 8 characters which is consistent with this from the UK Future Cruise Credit from Cunard - Our guide. E-Tickets on the other hand still show the “CU” Go figure!

Mine and Mrs NWN both have an “U” as the final letter whereas our son who was a junior on the same first voyage has an “X”.

I should add, that as lead passenger I was assigned a CWC number with the first digit being a “7” and Mrs NWN and our son were given consecutive numbers beginning with “3”. Both Mrs NWN and our son also share the same two letters after “CU” whereas my fourth letter is different.

Edited by North West Newbie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, PORT ROYAL said:

There was only a single “A” in DW’s two letter prefix.   No “A” anywhere in mine.

No “9” in any digit.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. In those patterns, I was using "A" as a placeholder for any uppercase letter (A-Z) and "9" as a placeholder for any digit (0-9).

• Like 1

Our final characters are A and X. Naturally, I am X. I wonder who has the intervening 22 letters. Also, I noticed from my record that these are not our original CW numbers. At some point it was changed from a nine digit code. All most mysterious.

Thanks everyone. For future reference here's an updated summary of Cunard World Club number formats for each region based on my interpretation of the feedback here so far.

North America: Nine digits and one letter

For example: 654321098B

UK: Two letters, five digits and one letter (more common/newer)

or Two letters, six digits and one letter (less common/older)

For example: RP54321W or RP654321W

In some places a "CU" prefix is added.

Australia/New Zealand: Ten digits

For example: 5432109876

• Like 2

1 minute ago, exlondoner said:

How do you know the comparative ages of the UK numbers?

Sorry, I don't really know the comparative ages of the UK numbers. I am only working under an assumption the 9 character format might be an older format since only one person so far in the UK, @PORT ROYAL, has reported they have a 9 character CWC number (with 6 digits rather than 5) and you mentioned you used to have a 9 character number that was switched to 8 characters at some point in the past.

Since most people from the UK who have responded indicate they have 8 character numbers and the example on the Cunard website is an 8 character number, I'm supposing that's the newer more common format for UK CWC numbers. That's what was behind the equivocation "based on my interpretation of the feedback here so far" in my previous post, but that assumption could be way off base. I welcome further insight from anyone about UK CWC number formats.

10 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

Sorry, I don't really know the comparative ages of the UK numbers. I am only working under an assumption the 9 character format might be an older format since only one person so far in the UK, @PORT ROYAL, has reported they have a 9 character CWC number (with 6 digits rather than 5) and you mentioned you used to have a 9 character number that was switched to 8 characters at some point in the past.

Since most people from the UK who have responded indicate they have 8 character numbers and the example on the Cunard website is an 8 character number, I'm supposing that's the newer more common format for UK CWC numbers. That's what was behind the equivocation "based on my interpretation of the feedback here so far" in my previous post, but that assumption could be way off base. I welcome further insight from anyone about UK CWC number formats.

Presumably all the old UK numbers with nine digits  but no letters must have been changed the same time ours were. I’m not sure where that leaves us.

1 minute ago, exlondoner said:

Presumably all the old UK numbers with nine digits  but no letters must have been changed the same time ours were. I’m not sure where that leaves us.

Oh, sorry, my fault. I did not read carefully enough what you said about your old UK CWC number. Since that was a nine digit format, then I'm not sure where that leaves us either. I probably should remove the "newer" and "older" designations from my previous summary of UK CWC formats. The "more common" and "less common" designations may not mean much either with such a small sample size.

Just to satisfy my curiosity, and if you don't mind me asking, could you put an approximate year on when you last had a nine digit CWC number?

I'm wondering if the last letter of the CWC number counts as a 'check character' for the preceding numbers and letters?  The purpose of this would be to prevent errors when entering the CWC number into the system. 

Here is a good explanation of how this works for NHS Numbers for patients in England and Wales. An NHS Number is 10 numbers long, however one only needs to know the first 9 digits, the 10th digit can be calculated by a mathematical calculation on the first 9 digits. If the 10th digit does not match the calculation based on the first 9 digits, it is then assumed the NHS number has been entered incorrectly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NHS_number#Format,_number_ranges,_and_check_characters

11 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Oh, sorry, my fault. I did not read carefully enough what you said about your old UK CWC number. Since that was a nine digit format, then I'm not sure where that leaves us either. I probably should remove the "newer" and "older" designations from my previous summary of UK CWC formats. The "more common" and "less common" designations may not mean much either with such a small sample size.

Just to satisfy my curiosity, and if you don't mind me asking, could you put an approximate year on when you last had a nine digit CWC number?

Without a lot of burrowing, which I might have time to do later, I can’t be very precise, but my impression is that it was a long while ago, before, say, 2005.

11 hours ago, NavyPanda said:

I'm wondering if the last letter of the CWC number counts as a 'check character' for the preceding numbers and letters?  The purpose of this would be to prevent errors when entering the CWC number into the system. 

Here is a good explanation of how this works for NHS Numbers for patients in England and Wales. An NHS Number is 10 numbers long, however one only needs to know the first 9 digits, the 10th digit can be calculated by a mathematical calculation on the first 9 digits. If the 10th digit does not match the calculation based on the first 9 digits, it is then assumed the NHS number has been entered incorrectly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NHS_number#Format,_number_ranges,_and_check_characters

On our 2001 voyage, we had the old one. On our next trip in 2004, we had the new one, so some time in the intervening years. We were told by post, not on board.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Just an update on Cunard's response to my emails....

Late January I received several emails acknowledging the issue and assuring me my UK and Australian WC accounts would be merged.

After hearing nothing I sent another email on 5 Feb with no response.

Today I got an email about our cruise leaving 21 March and we are still listed as first time cruisers!!