More tales of tails

Chardonnay Char

I just saw a post about lines charging for lobster tails.  It appears that Carnival allows for 2 free tails and then has an uncharge of $5 per extra tail.  So 5 tails for about $15, and Celebrity (formerly known as the foodie cruise) is charging $16.99 + gratuity for one extra tail.

Please tell me there is a reason for this.

3 minutes ago, Chardonnay Char said:

I just saw a post about lines charging for lobster tails.  It appears that Carnival allows for 2 free tails and then has an uncharge of $5 per extra tail.  So 5 tails for about $15, and Celebrity (formerly known as the foodie cruise) is charging $16.99 + gratuity for one extra tail.

Please tell me there is a reason for this. For climbing out of debt

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Please tell me there is a reason for this. For climbing out of debt

Which, as a customer I don't care about.  Nor has X come out and stated such.  

Carnival is not exactly in a rosy debt situation, yet they have resisted such cutbacks. 

• Like 1

Probably cost them less than $5 per tail. Glad we cancelled our booking with X after hearing about all of these cutbacks. These tails are like 4 ounces, so one tail isn't going to fill up anyone. Serve an entire full lobster tail not a 1/2 and then charge $10 per extra full tail....but $21 with tip for 4 ounce of lobster is a total rip off

6 minutes ago, D C said:

Which, as a customer I don't care about.  Nor has X come out and stated such.  

Carnival is not exactly in a rosy debt situation, yet they have resisted such cutbacks. 

Sure but it's Carnival, so there is that

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Chardonnay Char said:

Because they can. And some people will pay it.

I wonder about the size and quality of the lobster tails on Carnival, versus Celebrity.  I have sailed two Carnival ships and the food is good, but it's not enough for me to want to sail that line again.  Their CHEERS beverage package is especially grating to me--I dislike having to sign for EVERY drink, even if it's a Diet Coke.   They also try to get you to buy shots at dinner and the shot glasses they come in.  

It's a different way of nickel and diming you.   One lobster tail on Celebrity is fine with me! 

• Like 1

I don't have an issue with any cruise line charging for a second lobster tail, per se, but I do feel the price should be reasonable for what you get.  Frankly, I would not object to there being a minimal charge for all second entrees but, again, it has to be reasonable.

I am concerned this is a slippery slope and we will, infact, soon see a surcharge for certain menu items for the initial order (not seconds).