Always wanted to do a Trans Atlantic

Jjg34219

42 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

You'll never know unless you try it.   Depends on how adventurous or risk-taking you are.

Well yeah...of course...haha.  🤣

However, I guess my question is...how is the 'movement' on the viking ships compared with the larger ships from NCL, etc...?  With the meds we take, seasickness has never been an issue on large ships while in the Caribbean.  However, I have had some bad experiences on small fishing boats ( granted..I did not take my meds because my uncle said a 'seasickness bracelet' would be more than enough...I should have known better. 🤣 ).  However, if there is a pronounced difference on the Viking ships because they are generally smaller, or a transatlantic is far worse than a Caribbean cruise in regard to ship motion, it may be an issue. 

Anyone else with potential seasickness issues that has taken a Viking transatlantic cruise ( or any Viking cruise for that matter ) care to chime in?  Thanks in advance! 

Dear Farmecologist, I may have alarmed you with my description of our recent experience on the Bay of Biscay.  I should also point out more of my conversation with Viking's speaker.  He has been on many Viking voyages, including several transatlantics, and he told me that he had never experienced anything as extreme as we were then experiencing.  He said that if we were okay with that degree of roll, we would be absolutely fine with a transatlantic; his experience with them was much more calm.

As an indication of the unusual severity, Viking sent us (a general email to passengers) a note of regret over the conditions we experienced.  I understand that the Bay of Biscay is notorious, especially in January.

Karen

• Like 1

1 hour ago, farmecologist said:

Well yeah...of course...haha.  🤣

However, I guess my question is...how is the 'movement' on the viking ships compared with the larger ships from NCL, etc...?  With the meds we take, seasickness has never been an issue on large ships while in the Caribbean.  However, I have had some bad experiences on small fishing boats ( granted..I did not take my meds because my uncle said a 'seasickness bracelet' would be more than enough...I should have known better. 🤣 ).  However, if there is a pronounced difference on the Viking ships because they are generally smaller, or a transatlantic is far worse than a Caribbean cruise in regard to ship motion, it may be an issue. 

Anyone else with potential seasickness issues that has taken a Viking transatlantic cruise ( or any Viking cruise for that matter ) care to chime in?  Thanks in advance! 

Unfortunately the size of the ship is not a major influence on seakeeping abilities, case in point being the first, or an early RCCL gigantic of the sea class being damaged during the delivery to North America. Of all cruise ships currently operating, QM2 has the best sea keeping ability and she isn't the biggest. Also the liners I worked on were smaller than the Viking ships, but could handle the seas better than any current ship.

Have completed a World Cruise on a Viking ship, which included 2 Tropical Revolving Storms and a significant frontal depression. The ship handled the seas very well.

Another consideration is the vast improvement in forecasting and weather routing advice the Masters receive. So even if you do experience a significant frontal depression, if the Master has time, they can miss the worst.

BTW - in addition to seeing numerous storms in the Atlantic, I have also 1 crossing when it was a millpond.

• Like 3

My wife is very susceptible to motion sickness. A few years ago, we experienced an encounter with the remains of hurricane Michael storming up the New England and Canadian coast as we sailed south directly into it on the Viking Star. Headed straight into 45-50 knt winds for an afternoon with quite a bit of motion. Wife always includes Bonine in her cruising regiment regardless of weather and experienced no ill effects of the storm. Heaviest weather we ever encountered was in the Med in a storm passing between Sardinia and Corsica with 20-25 waves/swells crashing into the windows on deck 3 of the old Grand Princess that lasted for nearly 24 hours. Felt like we were pulling negative G's when lying in bed. Again, with meds, no issues. The next day, the captain described the seas in storms as being either lumpy, bumpy or grumpy and said these were very grumpy.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ropomo said:

My wife is very susceptible to motion sickness. A few years ago, we experienced an encounter with the remains of hurricane Michael storming up the New England and Canadian coast as we sailed south directly into it on the Viking Star. Headed straight into 45-50 knt winds for an afternoon with quite a bit of motion. Wife always includes Bonine in her cruising regiment regardless of weather and experienced no ill effects of the storm. Heaviest weather we ever encountered was in the Med in a storm passing between Sardinia and Corsica with 20-25 waves/swells crashing into the windows on deck 3 of the old Grand Princess that lasted for nearly 24 hours. Felt like we were pulling negative G's when lying in bed. Again, with meds, no issues. The next day, the captain described the seas in storms as being either lumpy, bumpy or grumpy and said these were very grumpy.

That's great to hear!  Bonnie ( i.e. - Meclizine ) is a miracle drug for us...no drowsiness and no noticeable side effects.  However, we have not had the 'opportunity' to use it in very rough seas.  Glad to hear it works for your wife.  We just might try a transatlantic crossing yet!  👍

BTW - Many years ago I started out by using a prescription for the Scopolamine behind-the-ear patch.  Unfortunately, I had some really, really strange side effects from it....short term memory loss being one.  Very scary.  After the fact I learned that memory loss is a listed side effect of Scopolamine!  Yikes...Needless to say, I haven't used Scopolamine since. 

• Like 1

Vanda pharmaceuticals is testing a new motion sickness medication if anyone is interested (I don't work for them, have any connection to them, or work in the industry - I'm a teacher! I made note for a friend who experiences motion sickness...). Website my motion study dot com

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, farmecologist said:

That's great to hear!  Bonnie ( i.e. - Meclizine ) is a miracle drug for us...no drowsiness and no noticeable side effects.  However, we have not had the 'opportunity' to use it in very rough seas.  Glad to hear it works for your wife.  We just might try a transatlantic crossing yet!  👍

BTW - Many years ago I started out by using a prescription for the Scopolamine behind-the-ear patch.  Unfortunately, I had some really, really strange side effects from it....short term memory loss being one.  Very scary.  After the fact I learned that memory loss is a listed side effect of Scopolamine!  Yikes...Needless to say, I haven't used Scopolamine since. 

We've done two TAs, Barcelona (a week and a half in the Med) to Ft. Lauderdale and one Lisbon to Sao Paulo. Both, she had no issues and we loved them. Have another booked, with Viking in 2024, Ft. Lauderdale to Rome via Barcelona and other Med ports.

• Like 1