Question regarding medications

rg123

My husband takes several medications including Trulicity. Whenever we’ve flown or cruised before, we transferred the pills to one of those daily pill boxes so we didn’t have to take so many bottles with us. But since we are entering Australia at the start of our cruise , do we need to take all the bottles or could we take pics of the bottles or get a list of meds from the pharmacy? 

And I’ve heard that it might be necessary to actually get a doctor to list the meds?

Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks

Here in Oz, we have something the pharmacists call "webster pack".

The chemist portions all medicines needed in a professional blister pack, with names and dosage. 

My bosses take that on their worldwide travels without any problems. 

Im quite sure that you can get this, or similar,  in your country. 

https://www.webstercare.com.au/product/webster-pak-community/

We returned Monday night from a 35 day Oceania Regatta cruise around Australia.   Flew into Sydney.   Nobody even asked about meds.  I have 40+ days worth of meds in those weekly pill boxes.

• Like 2

On arrival into Australia you will be asked to complete an incoming passenger card.  Question 1 asks if you are bringing a number of items into Australia, including medicines.  If you are, you tick yes and on presentation of your card you may be asked what items you are bringing in.  An honest answer and supporting documentation is all that is required for prescription medication.  In having reentered Australia over more than 50 times over 40 years I have always answered yes if carrying medicines and have always explained that I have prescription medication and have never had to show the medication or the prescription.   This shouldn’t pose any issues for people who answer honestly.
  • Like 1

This is the official guidelines.

https://www.tga.gov.au/entering-australia

Yes, you are very unlikely to have to show medications, but if something looks suspicious on a scan they may want to inspect. Also there is a risk that pain killing opioids can trigger some interest from a sniffer dog.

We travel with Endone (oxycodone) in case my wife's medical issue flares up while travelling. We would be mad to ignore this advice, so we keep in original packaging and have a letter to support this. Not only for return into Australia, but codeine based medications are restricted for entry into the US. We have never had to show them, but would be a hassle if that ever happened without the required evidence.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you everyone for your responses. We were certainly going to declare the meds, but at this late date (flying on Saturday) I was unsure about getting physician’s letter. Although bulky, it’s simple enough to leave medication in original containers. Thanks again for your feedback.

3 hours ago, rg123 said:

Thank you everyone for your responses. We were certainly going to declare the meds, but at this late date (flying on Saturday) I was unsure about getting physician’s letter. Although bulky, it’s simple enough to leave medication in original containers. Thanks again for your feedback.

To reduce the bulk, I take the pills out of any cardboard boxes, put them in a snap lock bag and flatten the cardboard  boxes.  It significantly reduces the bulk (but not the weight).  Happy travels

• Like 3