Norwegian Epic advice asked

Marga.Anders

Hello,

I have taken 4 cruises so far all with RCL. This summer I am looking to book our first Norwegian Cruise. We are planning to book an Mediterrean Itinerary this summer.

For our room we always liked a balcony on RCL so that's what we are looking at now. However I am confused about the difference between a regular balcony room and a Club Suite Balcony. First I thought the Suite was the better option, but looking at deck plans it seems the Club Suite has a smaller balcony?

Can somebody please advise me on the difference between the 2? We are a couple, no kids. We like a cabin in a quiet location of the ship, even if that means walking a little further.

Do you have any other good tips  to take in to account when booking? We are looking at a Free at Sea offer and plan to book today or tomorrow.

The club suite is very similar to a balcony room. To be honest, on the Epic I couldn’t even tell you the difference. I think the balcony size is the same.

You do get a few perks (laundry, ability to make reservations a few days early etc). These are listed on the website somewhere.

I certainly wouldn’t pay extra for a club suite on the epic, but some people do. I would base the decision on location. If you like a larger balcony there are some rooms that have large balconies (these are a separate category and will cost more), or if you can find an angled balcony available (you can identify these on the deck plans where the rooms jut put a bit) then you can get a bigger balcony at the price of a standard.

Don’t be panicked into booking quickly because of free at sea. That offer has been around for years and there is no sign it is going away.

Make sure you are aware of the unique layout of the bathrooms on the Epic to make sure it works for you. I have been on the Epic twice and like the ship, however, a lot of people do not like the bathrooms.  Personally, we have had no issues with the bathroom.

I believe the balconies are the same size between these cabins.  Either way, it is a small balcony with just enough room for the chairs and you.  

2 minutes ago, Grumpella said:

Read my review of the Epic.  Just say No, or at the very least, no balconies due to all the black soot raining down from the stack.  I imagine a forward balcony would be OK, definitely not an aft balcony, and mid balcony would be questionable.

Epic Cabin 13273 Video.MOV

In September on Getaway we had those nice little black specks land on our balcony too - 13902 (Aft-Facing Suite). Thankfully it didn't last long as the wind changed direction. In December/January, we did not. 

One evening we went up to play around the world on the basketball court. We breathed in lovely fumes and had the black soot landing on us the whole time we were there. Probably wasn't the best for our health, but we were in a competitive game, so we stayed up there for about an hour.

The soot's gotta go somewhere eh?

The bathroom is goofy.  You enter into the bathroom.  If someone is taking a shower, a non partner can't really enter the room.  I got the suite, but it wasnt worth it.  A couple sf bigger, but same difference.  The main thing is the s shaped wall.  One cabin will have bed near the balcony, the next cabin the couch is near the balcony.

2 hours ago, Grumpella said:

Read my review of the Epic.  Just say No, or at the very least, no balconies due to all the black soot raining down from the stack.  I imagine a forward balcony would be OK, definitely not an aft balcony, and mid balcony would be questionable.

Epic Cabin 13273 Video.MOV

Wow!  We had an aft-facing balcony on the Epic in October and didn't have anything like that, although I did notice some near the rock wall - not as bad as on your balcony though.

4 hours ago, Travelicious said:

Wow!  We had an aft-facing balcony on the Epic in October and didn't have anything like that, although I did notice some near the rock wall - not as bad as on your balcony though.

Same.  I had an aft balcony in December (9290) no soot.  I was specifically looking for it too because of various reports here so I guess YMMV.