Weather on a westward transAtlantic??

All of my cruises have been to warm weather destinations. Have my first transAtlantic booked for Oct 9 from Southampton to Fort Lauderdale. For those with personal experience, what can I expect for weather? I realize every cruise will bring different temps, but just wondering what the typical is at that time of year. Will I be able to sit on the open decks in shorts and a t shirt and be comfortably warm, or is it more pants and light jacket weather?  I come from a cold climate area, so sun and warmth are at the top of my list when it comes to vacations. thnks!

Edited by h-sar

We’ve sailed about a dozen westbound trans-Atlantics - all in October or November, some 7 day crossings from Southampton to New York, the rest longer ones from Mediterranean ports to Florida - and one to Texas.  The Atlantic keeps its summer warmth well into November, so a good part of your itinerary should be in 70+ degree F seawater plus whatever air temps - probably well into the 70’s after the first couple of days.

Depends on route - will your ship call at any continental ports before crossing, and will you hit any Atlantic islands (all of which should have warmish weather that time of year)? - you should have “deck-sitting weather” much of the way.  Of course, there is the outside chance of a hurricane necessitating course adjustment.  If you sail south first, say to Lisbon or Cadiz before heading west you chances of warm weather most of the way increases.

38 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

We’ve sailed about a dozen westbound trans-Atlantics - all in October or November, some 7 day crossings from Southampton to New York, the rest longer ones from Mediterranean ports to Florida - and one to Texas.  The Atlantic keeps its summer warmth well into November, so a good part of your itinerary should be in 70+ degree F seawater plus whatever air temps - probably well into the 70’s after the first couple of days.

Depends on route - will your ship call at any continental ports before crossing, and will you hit any Atlantic islands (all of which should have warmish weather that time of year)? - you should have “deck-sitting weather” much of the way.  Of course, there is the outside chance of a hurricane necessitating course adjustment.  If you sail south first, say to Lisbon or Cadiz before heading west you chances of warm weather most of the way increases.

Thank you! The itinerary involves Le Havre, Bilbao, Lisbon, Azores

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/19/2023 at 12:30 PM, h-sar said:

Thank you! The itinerary involves Le Havre, Bilbao, Lisbon, Azores

As soon as you leave Le Havre it will start to warm -- as you cross the Bay of Biscay you may hit the heaviest seas of your entire itinerary -- but from Bilbao on you should have temps in the 70's.  Enjoy -- it sounds like a great crossing.  If you booked a balcony, I hope it is on port side.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

As soon as you leave Le Havre it will start to warm -- as you cross the Bay of Biscay you may hit the heaviest seas of your entire itinerary -- but from Bilbao on you should have temps in the 70's.  Enjoy -- it sounds like a great crossing.  If you booked a balcony, I hope it is on port side.

yes, balcony on port side.

• Like 1

As you may have guessed, the weather is simply not predictable.  We have done dozens of crossings (both directions) and had everything from glassy seas to 5 straight days of 20 foot + seas.  One issue with October is that it is still in hurricane season.  While ships will generally steer a course that keeps them far from a major storm, long swells (which can really rock the largest ships) can radiate out thousands of miles from a major storm.  

That time of the year, the temps should be on the warm side.  You should be able to sit on deck (even in shorts) on many days

Hank