How long have passport renewals been taking?

JHawk63

It's been 6 weeks now since the passport service has received our renewal applications via their website. It says "may take 6-9 weeks". I was just wondering if anyone has renewed lately, how long it has taken? We sail in 5 weeks & I'm starting to get nervous!

18 minutes ago, vision14k said:

We waited till we were within 14 days of our cruise then set an appointment at the Miami passport office.  We are here now getting them same day.

That's what I'm afraid of! How long had you been waiting? There is no passport office close to us unless I drive down to Dallas!

It's impossible to predict.  My husband and I submitted our renewals on the same day (standard, not expedited).  His was back in about two weeks, whereas mine took longer than the predicted time.  Nothing was different between us -- we're both natural born Americans with no red flags. 

My renewal took 8 weeks.  The online portal wasn't available when I tried to use it mid-November.

My son just did his via the online portal, and hoping it is no more than 8 weeks.

You can keep checking the status though, and as soon as it updated to "accepted", it didn't take long to receive it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JHawk63 said:

That's what I'm afraid of! How long had you been waiting? There is no passport office close to us unless I drive down to Dallas!

Took an hour in the morning, then we went to lunch for 2 hours, came back to pick them up and we were out in another hour.  It took us 2 hours almost to get to Miami with the traffic and an hour to

get back home.  Overall very organized process.

Drive to: 2 hours

Morning Appt: 1 hour

Lunch/Wait: 2 hours

Passport Pickup: 1 hour

Drive Home: 1 hour

=7 hours total 

Edited by vision14k

2 hours ago, JHawk63 said:

It's been 6 weeks now since the passport service has received our renewal applications via their website. It says "may take 6-9 weeks". I was just wondering if anyone has renewed lately, how long it has taken? We sail in 5 weeks & I'm starting to get nervous!

It took me 7 weeks during the 2021 holidays. Hopefully you will hear something soon.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bluetardis said:

Do you check the website often?

Every.Single.Day! It has been showing as "In Process" for about 5 weeks. We didn't think we needed them for our cruise, but went ahead & renewed them the first of Dec, only to find out we DO need them, as we are stopping in Columbia. My BIL & SIL had to do the expedited renewal because of this. I told them that they will probably get theirs before we get ours! Trying not to stress, but that's easier said than done!

21 minutes ago, vision14k said:

Took an hour in the morning, then we went to lunch for 2 hours, came back to pick them up and we were out in another hour.  It took us 2 hours almost to get to Miami with the traffic and an hour to

get back home.  Overall very organized process.

Drive to: 2 hours

Morning Appt: 1 hour

Lunch/Wait: 2 hours

Passport Pickup: 1 hour

Drive Home: 1 hour

=7 hours total 

So did you have to pay any extra to get them same day? Or did the fees you already paid cover it?

I expedited and nothing was showing on the website 4 1/2 to 5 weeks later.  I sent an email explaining the date shipped the date it arrived and that it was expedited to the address on the website.  Within 2 to 3 days I started seeing activity on the website and receiving emails regarding status and had my passport 7 to 8 days later.  This was in July 2022.  I do not know if it helped or they were just getting to it, but I felt it could not hurt.  Good luck.

• Like 1

I didn't pay any extra for my passport renewal and it took 7 weeks minus 1 day. I mailed it on 10/27/22 and got it back in the mail on 12/15/22.

You should be fine. 

Good Luck!

P.S. I'm in Houston area. Can't remember off the top of my head which office I sent it to. I wonder if those taking longer went to different places and/or are new vs. renewal. Except poor @Mum2Mercy

Edited by YadaYadaJodi
Addl details.

29 minutes ago, JHawk63 said:

So did you have to pay any extra to get them same day? Or did the fees you already paid cover it?

Yes, we had to pay an expediting fee for each.  For both of ours (expedited, plus passport cards in addition to the books, it was over $400.)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JHawk63 said:

Every.Single.Day! It has been showing as "In Process" for about 5 weeks. 

We mailed off our renewal passports on October 3.  The website indicated they were received on October 7th.  They then said "in process" until November 18 when I got an email that they were being processed, and then a few hours later that they had been mailed.  LOL!  My husband supposes that renewals are pretty easy, so they are put in a pile "in the order they arrived" and say "in process," but then when they actually do get to it, they're done pretty quickly.  They arrived in the mail on November 21 -- which is 7 weeks to the day of when I mailed them off.   I know things can happen, but I think you'll be all right. One of the online sites for "passport processing time" that people use to say how long it took are saying it's about 35 days for renewals, which is what mine took.  You have five weeks -- I imagine they will come in plenty of time.  Hope this helps!  

• Like 1