Great time to shop for Outerwear For Alaska Cruise

Ferry_Watcher

This is a perfect time to start shopping for End-of-the-Season sales/deals for any needed outerwear for your upcoming Alaska cruise.  I highly recommend either a fleece jacket or vest to help with your layering.  Fleece will keep you warn even if it gets wet.  I also recommend a breathable raincoat, and waterproof shoes.  It is important that you stay warm and dry.  Having the correct outerwear will make your time in Alaska more enjoyable if you are dressed for the weather.

Thrift stores can also be a good resource for fleece vests.

Edited by Ferry_Watcher
spelling error
  • Like 5

13 hours ago, GrammyJill said:

That's what I've been thinking too!

So many good sales already going on. Got a puffer coat for $20 on the to 32° website. 

It's our first trip to Alaska and I'm still worried about being cold!! We go June 2nd. 

13 hours ago, GrammyJill said:

That's what I've been thinking too!

So many good sales already going on. Got a puffer coat for $20 on the to 32° website. 

It's our first trip to Alaska and I'm still worried about being cold!! We go June 2nd. 

Yes, 32 Degree is a great site for reasonable cold weather items.  Just got two packable puffer jackets for about $70.  The other items bought Hot Hand hand and foot warmers.  

Thank you for the tip!  We cruise late August early Sept so I will probably overpack ( I always do) I do not like being cold or wet and plan on layers as that is the biggest tip I have read.  

My biggest concern right now is shoes as I have light weight rain jackets, plenty of shirts and fleece jackets along with a hooded sweatshirt.  We are taking a land tour precruise also.

53 minutes ago, TSUmom said:

Thank you for the tip!  We cruise late August early Sept so I will probably overpack ( I always do) I do not like being cold or wet and plan on layers as that is the biggest tip I have read.  

My biggest concern right now is shoes as I have light weight rain jackets, plenty of shirts and fleece jackets along with a hooded sweatshirt.  We are taking a land tour precruise also.

There are plenty of brands of athletic shoes that are waterproof. I buy Brooks Ghost Gortex. I usually wear Brooks Ghost anyway so they feel the same to me. Others have posted other brands of waterproof athletic shoes. Unless you are used to boots, I wouldn't jump to wearing boots just because some are waterproof when there are plenty of athletic shoes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coral said:

There are plenty of brands of athletic shoes that are waterproof. I buy Brooks Ghost Gortex. I usually wear Brooks Ghost anyway so they feel the same to me. Others have posted other brands of waterproof athletic shoes. Unless you are used to boots, I wouldn't jump to wearing boots just because some are waterproof when there are plenty of athletic shoes.

I would definitely prefer athletic shoes.   I will look into the Brooks Ghost Gortex.  Thank you!!

Thank you for the tip on 32 Degrees. Looks like they have some good prices.

If someone finds themselves in Anchorage and are looking for clothing they may have forgotten, check out Value Village, SPCA and Goodwill. There is a lot of clothing that visitors leave as they don’t need it at home and don’t want to take it back.

As for shoes, they should fit the excursion.  For most, 90% of the time you’ll be on the deck of a boat or a pave street/sidewalk. I take nothing but 2 pair of tennis shoes and trade them out as needed for off ship exploring. Those Brooks Ghost shoes are dandy and can be worn at home as well.

Just now, Coral said:

I think they are called Ghost GTX.

Yes they are I am looking at them now.  I think I need to head to Academy and try them on.  I want a proper fit since I will be wearing them a lot.

13 minutes ago, TSUmom said:

Yes they are I am looking at them now.  I think I need to head to Academy and try them on.  I want a proper fit since I will be wearing them a lot.

I completely agree. I would try on other brands as well that offer waterproof. Though Brooks makes a great athletic shoe.

I wear Brooks Ghost anyway so it was an easy transition for me. If they don't have the GTX - the fit is the same as the regular Ghost. I am sure other brands are similar if they only have the non waterproof version in stock.

1 hour ago, Coral said:

I completely agree. I would try on other brands as well that offer waterproof. Though Brooks makes a great athletic shoe.

I wear Brooks Ghost anyway so it was an easy transition for me. If they don't have the GTX - the fit is the same as the regular Ghost. I am sure other brands are similar if they only have the non waterproof version in stock.

I have a pair of Brooks and love how lightweight they are.  I am not a runner but they are great for everyday wear.

29 minutes ago, TSUmom said:

I have a pair of Brooks and love how lightweight they are.  I am not a runner but they are great for everyday wear.

Me too - not a runner. I still take 2 pairs of Brooks on every vacation - one GTX and one not.

On 1/23/2023 at 8:15 AM, Coral said:

Well, to each his own, but it seems weird that one would wear athletic shoes when you know that it will be rainy.  And not a warm pleasant rain.

Just how do you wear athletic shoes with your rain chaps?  Your boots extend several inches above the bottom of the rain chaps, but how does that work with athletic shoes?

47 minutes ago, pdmlynek said:

Well, to each his own, but it seems weird that one would wear athletic shoes when you know that it will be rainy.  And not a warm pleasant rain.

Just how do you wear athletic shoes with your rain chaps?  Your boots extend several inches above the bottom of the rain chaps, but how does that work with athletic shoes?

Never had a problem. Confused that this is an issue.

13 minutes ago, Coral said:

Never had a problem. Confused that this is an issue.

The reason why this is an issue is when waterproof shoes are not fully covered by the chaps, exposing the streams of water from the chaps to pour onto the ankles and  ulimately into the shoes.  But it seems like your system works fine.  

9 hours ago, pdmlynek said:

The reason why this is an issue is when waterproof shoes are not fully covered by the chaps, exposing the streams of water from the chaps to pour onto the ankles and  ulimately into the shoes.  But it seems like your system works fine.  

My main issue is that wearing shoes higher than athletic shoes is not comfortable for me or my ankles, especially if I only wear them when it rains. If I have to wear them all day, it will be uncomfortable. I wear my Brooks at home and on vacation when it rains never had an issue. Recently wore them in London where it rained all day, each day and I was kept dry. No issue. No reason to wearing boots unless I am doing intense hiking and I am not.

• Like 1

This was a useful article about waterproof shoes for women. I know that CNN gets some of the $ for sales, but they actually tested each of the shoes for this article to see how waterproof they are. I ended up reading more reviews and opting for a pair of the Vessi athletic shoes. They were on sale, too.

https://www.cnn.com/cnn-underscored/reviews/best-waterproof-shoes-for-women