Star Clipper Costa Rica January 7-14

elklemi

Since Star Clipper did not provide any information until 8 days before my cruise I decided to give a recap to help others sailing Costa Rica what I can offer.  Any questions ask and I will try and help out. Flying blind on info on where and when to board, transfers, excursions before and after until I was packing to leave.  Flew in 2 days before cruise and stayed at Doubletree by Hilton Cariari and could not have made a better choice. Free transfer from airport and this is a beautiful hotel with vegetation and buildings that made sure I was in Costa Rica. Nice bar and restaurant and everyone was nice and room was clean and large.  Loved this hotel. San Jose can get chilly when sun goes down and it is always windy so plan a jacket.

Checked numerous transfer companies and decided on Morpho tours as all were close in price and I paid $149 each way for 1-5 people and they were prompt to return my emails and answer any questions I had.  Both drivers were great and to port he took us over the mountain and back we took main road.  On that road traffice heading to port was backed up due to construction on side of road. We arrived little after 1 PM and they were taking our luggage and  took our paperwork and we were free until 4 pm when they took us to ship by groups. Usual check in on ship and got keys and left passport and were free to do whatever.  Ship is what I expected as have been on Star Flyer in past.  Heard there were 80-90 of us so no lines ever and dining room was quieter due to not being full. Stops were designed for excursions from ship and I was not planning on doing these and usually walk off ship and find enough to peak my interest but this trip was a challenge. Quepos was let off at a marina which was nice and visited restaurant/bar and overlooked the boats and water and had lunch.  Some others said there was a small town but I was not aware of such as cruise director did not supply much info which was helpful for any stop.  Golfito is very small and found one nice restaurant/bar (La Playa) on the water and had a fine time with some friends from the UK and Germany. Bahia Potrero we were let off on the beach and go to the right and there is a nice beach some went to and I went left to find a store to purchase some items needed and it was a long walk on black sand beaches of Costa Rica. Found the store and had lunch at Hemingway's which is on the beach and nice place with wifi. Isla Tortugas was fabulous and reminded me of the Caribbean and I really enjoyed the white sand and palm trees and little beach bar had umbrellas and chairs $14 for 2 and $7 for 1.  Beer was $3 and many had coconuts or Pineapples with rum I think were $7. Hated to leave but it was a great last stop.  Also on two stoops we had to take tender and near beach had to transfer to Zodiacs which can be dicey to be extra careful. As usual all crew were exceptional. Seas were calm and sailing was fine and usual climb the mast was a hit.  I admit I expected Costa Rica's pacific coast to be like the caribbean which was not the case except for last stop- but that did not make me enjoy my time any less.  Tennessee is not really freezing but nice to be in upper 80's and on the water.  Saw one whale and others saw porpoises around front of ship.  Guests were UK, Germany, and US and all were friendly and enjoyable to talk to and hear other's experiences.  Loved Costa Rica and best for land vacation and go to National Parks and rain forest for birds, etc.  Glad I went and Central America is one of my favorite places as I have been to Guatemala, Hondouras, and Columbia.  If those going on a future cruise to Costa Rica have any questions I can answer please let me know and I will try to be helpful.  Star Clippers needs to step up their game in this regard.  Also, review all your paperwork as I was supposed to get 4 hours free wifi when I booked and when I got on board it had changed to 1 hour.  Did not realize until after trip so check your paperwork.   Safe travels to all and the Clipper did carry Imperial, Costa Rican beer on board for those who enjoy beer, as the old saying goes "if you travel global--Drink Local".

• Like 3

Glad tp be of help, Drink of the day was 5 euros, and I only drink beer which was 3.5 euros to 4 euros as I recall, others who drink wine or spirits were saying drink prices were reasonable.  We did have a sea day which was 3rd full day, nothing real dressy but some did dress up a little for Captain's dinner and they had a pirate one evening and heard some dress up for that.

Cruise director was Axel Melchior and he is from Costa Rica but myself with others did not feel like he gave a "feel" for our stops and seems like everything was geared for excursions from ship.

Wishing you all a great time.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Thank you for putting this together. Thanks for the tip about a jacket. I wasn't going to bring one ,but now we will.

My wife and I will be taking the Costa Rica cruise in Jan '24. It will be our 4th Star Clipper cruise so far ( Amalfi coast, Leeward Island & Windward Islands). We will be celebrating out 30th anniversary and my 60th birthday. So we are pretty excited. 

We have the ins and outs down about life aboard the ship. If anyone has any insight on possible excursions , restaurants, bars or exciting places to see when on land, please share.

Safe travels everyone...

Before our cruise we are staying at the Margaritaville beach resort for a few days in PLAYA FLAMINGO. Does anyone know what the best way to transfer to the ship. Should we rent a car, find a shuttle or a bus? Any help would be great, thank you all

• 1 month later...
On 1/20/2023 at 8:17 AM, elklemi said:

Since Star Clipper did not provide any information until 8 days before my cruise I decided to give a recap to help others sailing Costa Rica what I can offer.  Any questions ask and I will try and help out. Flying blind on info on where and when to board, transfers, excursions before and after until I was packing to leave.  Flew in 2 days before cruise and stayed at Doubletree by Hilton Cariari and could not have made a better choice. Free transfer from airport and this is a beautiful hotel with vegetation and buildings that made sure I was in Costa Rica. Nice bar and restaurant and everyone was nice and room was clean and large.  Loved this hotel. San Jose can get chilly when sun goes down and it is always windy so plan a jacket.

Checked numerous transfer companies and decided on Morpho tours as all were close in price and I paid $149 each way for 1-5 people and they were prompt to return my emails and answer any questions I had.  Both drivers were great and to port he took us over the mountain and back we took main road.  On that road traffice heading to port was backed up due to construction on side of road. We arrived little after 1 PM and they were taking our luggage and  took our paperwork and we were free until 4 pm when they took us to ship by groups. Usual check in on ship and got keys and left passport and were free to do whatever.  Ship is what I expected as have been on Star Flyer in past.  Heard there were 80-90 of us so no lines ever and dining room was quieter due to not being full. Stops were designed for excursions from ship and I was not planning on doing these and usually walk off ship and find enough to peak my interest but this trip was a challenge. Quepos was let off at a marina which was nice and visited restaurant/bar and overlooked the boats and water and had lunch.  Some others said there was a small town but I was not aware of such as cruise director did not supply much info which was helpful for any stop.  Golfito is very small and found one nice restaurant/bar (La Playa) on the water and had a fine time with some friends from the UK and Germany. Bahia Potrero we were let off on the beach and go to the right and there is a nice beach some went to and I went left to find a store to purchase some items needed and it was a long walk on black sand beaches of Costa Rica. Found the store and had lunch at Hemingway's which is on the beach and nice place with wifi. Isla Tortugas was fabulous and reminded me of the Caribbean and I really enjoyed the white sand and palm trees and little beach bar had umbrellas and chairs $14 for 2 and $7 for 1.  Beer was $3 and many had coconuts or Pineapples with rum I think were $7. Hated to leave but it was a great last stop.  Also on two stoops we had to take tender and near beach had to transfer to Zodiacs which can be dicey to be extra careful. As usual all crew were exceptional. Seas were calm and sailing was fine and usual climb the mast was a hit.  I admit I expected Costa Rica's pacific coast to be like the caribbean which was not the case except for last stop- but that did not make me enjoy my time any less.  Tennessee is not really freezing but nice to be in upper 80's and on the water.  Saw one whale and others saw porpoises around front of ship.  Guests were UK, Germany, and US and all were friendly and enjoyable to talk to and hear other's experiences.  Loved Costa Rica and best for land vacation and go to National Parks and rain forest for birds, etc.  Glad I went and Central America is one of my favorite places as I have been to Guatemala, Hondouras, and Columbia.  If those going on a future cruise to Costa Rica have any questions I can answer please let me know and I will try to be helpful.  Star Clippers needs to step up their game in this regard.  Also, review all your paperwork as I was supposed to get 4 hours free wifi when I booked and when I got on board it had changed to 1 hour.  Did not realize until after trip so check your paperwork.   Safe travels to all and the Clipper did carry Imperial, Costa Rican beer on board for those who enjoy beer, as the old saying goes "if you travel global--Drink Local".

Hi!  24 and we'll be cruising on Star Clipper Feb and I'm trying to book our own tour or way to go to Manuel Antonio for the day. I cannot find what time and where we get off the ship, and when we have to be back on board. Can you help? Thank you!

I just myself booked Costa Rica for March of 2025, so I would appreciate those who have, or will do in 2024, the Costa Rica itineraries, to share info.  I'm particularly interested in the times arriving into these ports so I can plan what to do outside of the expensive ship shore excursions.

• 1 month later...

Anybody who just did sailings in 2024 care to comment on their experience? I am especially interested in what people did in Quepos and Golfito. Would like to do a private tour in Quepos to Manuel Antonio for the day.  I've seen excursions on the web, but wasn't sure the pick up spot be within walking distance.  Also, Golfito, besides the restaurant and the ship's 3 excursions, what do people do there?  I am interested in the kayaking excursion, but only if it's really good, did anyone try that?  Lastly, how long were you in port each of those 2 days?

On 1/23/2023 at 5:38 PM, elklemi said:

Glad tp be of help, Drink of the day was 5 euros, and I only drink beer which was 3.5 euros to 4 euros as I recall, others who drink wine or spirits were saying drink prices were reasonable.  We did have a sea day which was 3rd full day, nothing real dressy but some did dress up a little for Captain's dinner and they had a pirate one evening and heard some dress up for that.

Cruise director was Axel Melchior and he is from Costa Rica but myself with others did not feel like he gave a "feel" for our stops and seems like everything was geared for excursions from ship.

Wishing you all a great time.

Thanks John for the review & I hope you are well. I was just about to book this cruise next February but after reading your review we booked the treasure island cruise again as we loved the itinerary last time.   

46 minutes ago, hobbsie65 said:

Thanks John for the review & I hope you are well. I was just about to book this cruise next February but after reading your review we booked the treasure island cruise again as we loved the itinerary last time.   

Glad you all are still travelling and agree the treasure island itinerary is a winner.  When you go have a cold Carib for me. 

• Like 1

On 3/26/2024 at 11:06 AM, hobbsie65 said:

I just booked Treasure Islands for January so I will get our spots ready for y'all.