First cruise in a long time, a few questions about dinners, drinks, and kids

1019throw

So an anniversary cruise in 2020 is now turning into 7 Day cruise with our kids after 3 years.  We’ve only been on one cruise back in 2017, so had a few questions:

7 Day cruise out of Baltimore:

• How many formal nights are there are on a 7 day cruise, and what nights are they typically on?
  • We are planning to go to the Steakhouse one night, and didn’t want to miss formal nights in the MDR.

Drinks:

• We had Cheers last time but won’t be getting it this time. My wife wouldn’t be able to breakeven and we have our kids with us this time around.  I believe average drink prices were about $7.50 for beer and $10-12 for other drinks. Is that accurate?
  • We have $800 in cruise credit which will just be used for gratuities and drinks.
  • Are there typically daily specials in different locations? We didn’t look at for that with Cheers last time.

FTTF:

• Is it really needed? We did it the first time because it was our first cruise and we wanted to get off the ship ASAP to get a flight. This time we aren’t in a rush but do have 2 smaller kids with us.

Legend out of Baltimore:

• We were on the Conquest last time out of Fort Lauderdale, so another older ship.  Anything specific we should know or look for on this ship?
  • We are on the 4th deck, above the piano bar. Will we hear any noise at night? Looks like there are 2 rooms further back on the deck plans that we could move to if needed.

Kid stuff:

• Dr. Seuss -- Is the breakfast a worthwhile activity for the kids (6 and 4)?
  • Our kids actually enjoy being with each other, and not sure how interested they will be to split up in different age groups. Are there a lot of kids activities on board outside of the kids clubs?

Thanks in advance!

35 minutes ago, 1019throw said:

So an anniversary cruise in 2020 is now turning into 7 Day cruise with our kids after 3 years.  We’ve only been on one cruise back in 2017, so had a few questions:

• How many formal nights are there are on a 7 day cruise, and what nights are they typically on?

Two Elegant Nights: Monday and Friday (assuming your Embarkation Day is the typical for Legend, Sunday)

• We are planning to go to the Steakhouse one night, and didn’t want to miss formal nights in the MDR.

Drinks:

• We had Cheers last time but won’t be getting it this time. My wife wouldn’t be able to breakeven and we have our kids with us this time around.  I believe average drink prices were about $7.50 for beer and $10-12 for other drinks. Is that accurate?
  • Sounds about right.
  • We have $800 in cruise credit which will just be used for gratuities and drinks.
  • Are there typically daily specials in different locations? We didn’t look at for that with Cheers last time.
  • It doesn't seem that there are many drink specials / happy hour deals anymore.  Mixed reports on this.

FTTF:

• Is it really needed? We did it the first time because it was our first cruise and we wanted to get off the ship ASAP to get a flight. This time we aren’t in a rush but do have 2 smaller kids with us.
  • This is a personal choice.  It's certainly not "needed", but only you can decide if it's "worth it".  Before turning Platinum, I bought FTTF every time.  Look at the benefits of FTTF and base it on how much value it will add to your cruise experience.

Legend out of Baltimore:

• We were on the Conquest last time out of Fort Lauderdale, so another older ship.  Anything specific we should know or look for on this ship?
  • The Spirit Class is my absolute favourite of the Carnival fleet - there isn't even a close second.  Best space-to-passenger ratio, crew-to-passenger ratio, lovely, open views, good traffic flow/ floor plan, doesn't feel broken up or crowded like so many other ships (including Conquest Class IMO).  And for me, it's a big plus that it doesn't have one of thos giant, obnoxiously loud TV screens on Lido Deck.😁
  • We are on the 4th deck, above the piano bar. Will we hear any noise at night? Looks like there are 2 rooms further back on the deck plans that we could move to if needed.
  • Yes, there will most likely be noise at night when the Piano Bar is going strong.

Kid stuff:

• Dr. Seuss -- Is the breakfast a worthwhile activity for the kids (6 and 4)?
  • Our kids actually enjoy being with each other, and not sure how interested they will be to split up in different age groups. Are there a lot of kids activities on board outside of the kids clubs?
  • My kids, 4 years apart and very much into each other's company, never did the kids clubs and have always enjoyed their cruises.  There is the arcade, there are deck and atrium activities such as giant Jenga, cornhole, Thriller dance lessons (I think they still offer this), waterslides and pool, mini golf, family-friendly trivia, afternoon teatime, shuffleboard and foosball in the Red Frog Pub, etc., etc.

Thanks in advance!

My input in purple inside your quote box.

49 minutes ago, 1019throw said:

• 2 “elegant” nights. Don’t know the timing on your itinerary, sorry. 

Drinks:

• In the Red Frog Pub if there is one on this ship, you can get fishbowls which are good for two people. Comedy club sells pitchers also at a cost savings. Your drink estimates are pretty accurate before the added 18% gratuity. They were doing happy hour for awhile here and there but that seems to have stopped. 

FTTF:

• No. Just don’t carry on a lot. Back pack for each person or SMALL rolling bag

at the most

Legend out of Baltimore:

• I haven’t sailed Legend so can’t answer that. HOWEVER; I would 100% move my cabin if you can. Yes, the piano bar will be loud and it goes until VERY late at night. 

Kid stuff:

• I have heard from MANY that the breakfast is lots of fun and very well worth the upcharge.
  • There will be a few family scavenger hunt, jenga , etc type games offered. My kids rarely did the kids clubs either but between pools, slides, mini golf etc were always having fun.

Thanks in advance!

I’m answering within your post.

There are no activities for just kids outside the kid clubs.  You don't need FTTF unless you want to be able to drop your luggage in your cabin (cannot stay in cabin until 1:30 pm), priority boarding, priority access to Guest Services and a few other perks. 

Dr. Seuss is worth it for even adults.  

I don't know if this is something you might want to do or if your kids would be into it, but when mine were little like yours (they're 20 and 16 now😁), a couple weeks before a cruise I would take them to the dollar store, give them a spending limit, and allow them to pick out anything they wanted in the way of toys, games, craft supplies, and activities for the cruise.  They each had a kid-sized messenger bag that all of their cruise toys/entertainment had to fit into and they each had to carry these bags on board (this kept them from wanting to pack their rock collections😉🤣).  They were not allowed to open or play with their new dollar store cruise toys until we were in the car on the way to the port.  This built up anticipation for the cruise and kept them from losing interest in the new toys before sailing.  And being cheap stuff, if they lost an item or two onboard, no great loss.  They also took their Barbies and a few toys from home, and played next to us quietly with them a lot while we played trivia, etc.

I would have them try the kids club the first day, see if they like it.  My two kids are best friends also, and, the way it worked out, seemed to always just miss being in the same group. 

But, they still loved going and were there most of the day.  Also, there were times their groups would do things together, so they liked those times also. 

Dr. Seuss breakfast is a must. 

Also, make sure you go see towel animal theater. Another must for the kids. 

Edited by PrincessArlena'sDad
  • Like 1

Regarding kids activities, they do have a Seuss story time in one of the theaters, which is fun.  I think there is a Seuss parade as well, but we didn't attend.  The breakfast is fun and we enjoyed it!  Also, be aware that there is a Build-A-Bear option on the ship.  🙂  

10 hours ago, Bees29 said:

My view on the kids clubs, I’m bringing my kids on vacation to spend time with them, not have someone else watch them. 

Absolutely. We just figured it would be nice if they want to go play for 2hrs on a sea day while we relax and read would be nice. We'll give it a try the first day to see how they do, but are certainly content with them with us all cruise.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Bees29 said:

My view on the kids clubs, I’m bringing my kids on vacation to spend time with them, not have someone else watch them. 

Lol not me! I was a SAHM of 5, having some time with just my husband was an important part of my vacation, meeting other kids from other areas was an important part of my kids’ vacation.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Bees29 said:

I spend time with my kids every day. I bring my kids on vacation so they can have a vacation too. If they want to go to kids club, I'm gonna let them. We still eat all meals together and do a few activities too, but we don't need to hang on each other 24/7 either.