Into the Midnight Sun cruise, departure times.

Busy Mum

Hi all, firstly I do apologise if this has already been discussed but I cannot find anything using the search engine.

Hubby & I are very keen to do the Into the Midnight Sun cruise & I’m wondering roughly how long do you have in each Port? Looking on the website it does not indicate the departure time from London, Greenwich, nor any of the other ports. I’m just curious to know, it’s not really a deal breaker but would like to know. Perhaps the times are indicated once you book? 

Thanks for any help you can give me. 

Vicki. 😀

19 minutes ago, Busy Mum said:

Hi all, firstly I do apologise if this has already been discussed but I cannot find anything using the search engine.

Hubby & I are very keen to do the Into the Midnight Sun cruise & I’m wondering roughly how long do you have in each Port? Looking on the website it does not indicate the departure time from London, Greenwich, nor any of the other ports. I’m just curious to know, it’s not really a deal breaker but would like to know. Perhaps the times are indicated once you book? 

Thanks for any help you can give me. 

Vicki. 😀

Viking has a strange "thing" about not showing these. I found a post that offered a work around, but it's frankly more work than it's worth: "If you do a booking hold, with no deposit yet, you receive an invoice with the port times.  You have a few days to decide whether you want to go on the trip before a deposit is due."

Another option is to ask a TA.

And if it helps, this is an old one from 2022 - may not be valid now, but might give you some idea. 🍺🥌

image.thumb.png.2ff57c24b340a19f8d27539932839dff.png

7 minutes ago, CurlerRob said:

Viking has a strange "thing" about not showing these. I found a post that offered a work around, but it's frankly more work than it's worth: "If you do a booking hold, with no deposit yet, you receive an invoice with the port times.  You have a few days to decide whether you want to go on the trip before a deposit is due."

And if it helps, this is an old one from 2022 - may not be valid now, but might give you some idea. 🍺🥌

Thank you so much CurlerRob! That does give me a guide & the times on your cruise look good. It is very unusual Viking do not list these times on their website, just to give people a guide. Thanks again. 😀

Oh, & if you don’t mind, were you happy with your cabin, 5007, as that is the deck & category I’m looking at! 🥂🥂

22 minutes ago, CurlerRob said:

CurlerBob -

This was our cruise too!  Somehow we missed you!  We were with friends from NY.   It was a great trip - and we made all the ports - even Orkney and Shetland.   We went on to Oslo on July 30.  And pre-cruise the four of us did London for 6 nights! In the heatwave.  🙂

20 minutes ago, Busy Mum said:

Thank you so much CurlerRob! That does give me a guide & the times on your cruise look good. It is very unusual Viking do not list these times on their website, just to give people a guide. Thanks again. 😀

Oh, & if you don’t mind, were you happy with your cabin, 5007, as that is the deck & category I’m looking at! 🥂🥂

We actually didn't take that trip - cancelled it in favour of a 2023 NYC to Bergen longer one, so no input on 5007 specifically. We have stayed in 5024 - same category, just a bit further aft nearer the elevators. (We had no noise issues at all.) 5024 was just fine - just suffers from the proximity of the closet to the bed that all the V and DV cabins do - nothing significant. 🍺🥌

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

CurlerBob -

This was our cruise too!  Somehow we missed you!  We were with friends from NY.   It was a great trip - and we made all the ports - even Orkney and Shetland.   We went on to Oslo on July 30.  And pre-cruise the four of us did London for 6 nights! In the heatwave.  🙂

You'll see above that we nixed that one in favour of the June 2023 NYC - Bergen, so I expect we'll connect on the first leg! 🍺🥌

1 hour ago, CCWineLover said:

CurlerBob -

May I ask CCWineLover, where did you stay in London for your 6 nights?  I've also been looking for accommodation in London and the prices are extremely high, not surprising really but just wondered if you could share where you stayed and were you happy with it?  Thank you. 🙂 

4 hours ago, sugarside said:

Busy Mum

We had cabin 5012 last year and the only thing you might notice is the excellent view of the bridge and its crew as we were very near the overhang of the bridge.

E25BF6E1-2B9F-45EA-9ED0-1F06BF20EB8C.jpeg

6A262848-6138-4F19-972B-1DBAF4CAA758.jpeg

C17DD22F-E9EC-498F-8FBC-F2F697F20C1F.jpeg

E5241C03-B179-4C26-A679-382B1BC25433.jpeg

Yes but with a long selfy-stick and the wife holding you by the ankles, you can probably photograph around that. 😁

5007 is going to be starboard side and a few more cabins forward. That spotlight is likely to be right outside your window. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Busy Mum said:

May I ask CCWineLover, where did you stay in London for your 6 nights?  I've also been looking for accommodation in London and the prices are extremely high, not surprising really but just wondered if you could share where you stayed and were you happy with it?  Thank you. 🙂 

Certainly.   We stayed 5 nights at the Doubletree Kensington and 1 night at the Doubletree Greenwich (so we could have a day to wander around Greenwich and see it).  The Kensington hotel was an extremely great location - across the street from the Gloucester Road tube station.  It was an OK place for the money.  We had tried to stay at Doubletree Tower of London but it was full.  Our friends stayed at the Marriott Kensington a block away from us.  It appeared nice as well.  Suggest you research via TripAdvisor.    As for Greenwich, the Doubletree there was outstanding!  great location for walking and near the Observatory.  We took an Uber from there to board the Viking Venus around 11 AM.  Reasonable.  We also took an Uber from Kensington to the Greenwich Doubletree - surprisingly reasonable, although we could have taken the tube, the Thames River cruise, and then another tube. (too much hassle with luggage).

• Like 1

we did this cruise a while back and the departure from Greenwich was quite late in the evening and the time was based in HIGH TIDE ......  Similarly sailing QM2 from Hamburg a few years back departure was delayed several hours from what had been advertised WAITING on high tide ...... Funny thing about ship captains and marine pilots ... they (we) get SO concerned about sufficient water under the keel!  Yes there are 'predictions' for the tide level but they are just that .... predictions. Sometimes actual is different especially when you are talking tidal influence a good distance up a river .. . 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

Certainly.   We stayed 5 nights at the Doubletree Kensington and 1 night at the Doubletree Greenwich (so we could have a day to wander around Greenwich and see it).  The Kensington hotel was an extremely great location - across the street from the Gloucester Road tube station.  It was an OK place for the money.  We had tried to stay at Doubletree Tower of London but it was full.  Our friends stayed at the Marriott Kensington a block away from us.  It appeared nice as well.  Suggest you research via TripAdvisor.    As for Greenwich, the Doubletree there was outstanding!  great location for walking and near the Observatory.  We took an Uber from there to board the Viking Venus around 11 AM.  Reasonable.  We also took an Uber from Kensington to the Greenwich Doubletree - surprisingly reasonable, although we could have taken the tube, the Thames River cruise, and then another tube. (too much hassle with luggage).

Thank you for all of that information, more for me to research. Thanks again for all your help. Take care & stay safe. Vicki. 🙂

42 minutes ago, Capt_BJ said:

we did this cruise a while back and the departure from Greenwich was quite late in the evening and the time was based in HIGH TIDE ......  Similarly sailing QM2 from Hamburg a few years back departure was delayed several hours from what had been advertised WAITING on high tide ...... Funny thing about ship captains and marine pilots ... they (we) get SO concerned about sufficient water under the keel!  Yes there are 'predictions' for the tide level but they are just that .... predictions. Sometimes actual is different especially when you are talking tidal influence a good distance up a river .. . 

Thank you Capt BJ, much appreciated. Vicki. 😀

17 hours ago, Busy Mum said:

We’ve stayed at the Lime Tree in Belgravia. Boutique B&B. Beware—no lift—but they’ll help you with your bags. Last year we stayed at Rubens at the Palace and enjoyed the old world ambience right across from the Royal Mews at Buckingham Palace. 

43 minutes ago, LindaS272 said:

We’ve stayed at the Lime Tree in Belgravia. Boutique B&B. Beware—no lift—but they’ll help you with your bags. Last year we stayed at Rubens at the Palace and enjoyed the old world ambience right across from the Royal Mews at Buckingham Palace. 

Thank you LindaS272, I’ve had my eye on Rubens as we have stayed at one of the other Red Carnation Hotels, Montague on the Gardens, & thoroughly enjoyed our 7 night stay, back in 2018. The location of Ruben’s would be wonderful! Thank you again for your thought & comments, I’ll continue to research & dream! Vicki. 😃

13 hours ago, sugarside said:

Busy Mum

We had cabin 5012 last year and the only thing you might notice is the excellent view of the bridge and its crew as we were very near the overhang of the bridge.

E25BF6E1-2B9F-45EA-9ED0-1F06BF20EB8C.jpeg

6A262848-6138-4F19-972B-1DBAF4CAA758.jpeg

C17DD22F-E9EC-498F-8FBC-F2F697F20C1F.jpeg

E5241C03-B179-4C26-A679-382B1BC25433.jpeg

Thank you so very much sugarside for these photos, they certainly help a lot. Vicki 😄

3 hours ago, Busy Mum said:

Thank you for all of that information, more for me to research. Thanks again for all your help. Take care & stay safe. Vicki. 🙂

Loved the Greenwich Doubletree!  Unique hotel, great staff, good location and good food!