FYI...Port cancelation!

uneamie

If you are going to Bermuda on Prima and perhaps other ships ...our May 7th Norfolk VIrgina port was canceled. No real explanation just taken off the intinerary. I have no idea if this is a permanent removal or just for a few dates. I got the email today. I am not all that disappointed but some might be. I love sea days so now I get an extra one. 

3 minutes ago, uneamie said:

If you are going to Bermuda on Prima and perhaps other ships ...our May 7th Norfolk VIrgina port was canceled. No real explanation just taken off the intinerary. I have no idea if this is a permanent removal or just for a few dates. I got the email today. I am not all that disappointed but some might be. I love sea days so now I get an extra one. 

A little disappointed as I like port days …but not really surprised.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, shof515 said:

Permanent. This been going on for over a year or more.

I am sailing on the Escape to Bermuda in October and Norfolk was dropped

Last year, Norfolk was removed from most of the Bermuda cruises too

Which makes me wonder why it is ever included in itineraries.....why bother ever putting it on them if they are always going to end up removing it? 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, mking8288 said:

Sea days do not have port fees, port of calls meant port fees & charges collected up front and ...

For those of us affected by this should we expect a refund of those fees? I know it won't be much but would just like to know how ncl handle this.

Edited by minijaffacake

3 minutes ago, minijaffacake said:

For those of us affected by this should we expect a refund of those fees? I know it won't be much but would just like to know how ncl handle this.

Possible, but not until close to the end of the cruise.  Port fees/taxes fluctuate based on one or more of the following: tonnage, passengers/crew counts, which dock you use, how long you stay, even arriving on holiday can trigger extra fees in some locations, just to name a few.  

They might pick up another port, they might extend an existing port, etc.  They will not know until the last day if enough fees were collected or not (they do not ask for more if less is collected though).

6 minutes ago, sailorusvi said:

Possible, but not until close to the end of the cruise.  Port fees/taxes fluctuate based on one or more of the following: tonnage, passengers/crew counts, which dock you use, how long you stay, even arriving on holiday can trigger extra fees in some locations, just to name a few.  

They might pick up another port, they might extend an existing port, etc.  They will not know until the last day if enough fees were collected or not (they do not ask for more if less is collected though).

Ah that makes sense. Thank you 

15 minutes ago, sailorusvi said:

At the risk of sounding like...some of the other Cruise Critic posters...but I thought you hadn't even cruised on NCL yet? Am I wrong about this? If you haven't experienced it, then I don't quite understand how you could comment with such authority.

Also, I'll bet you a $15 and under drink that they won't pick up a new port on this May 7th cruise. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

At the risk of sounding like...some of the other Cruise Critic posters...but I thought you hadn't even cruised on NCL yet? Am I wrong about this? If you haven't experienced it, then I don't quite understand how you could comment with such authority.

Also, I'll bet you a $15 and under drink that they won't pick up a new port on this May 7th cruise. 

No you are not wrong about sailing on NCL, but after working on boats in the islands having to deal with port fees, I have first hand knowledge how they work on the company's side.  

Fact is port fees are an estimate.  Fact is until the end of the cruise no one, not even the captain, is going to know what the port fees/taxes are going to be. That is because itineraries are changing on the fly. Even at sea.  Heck, even if 2 people are medivac out can impact the fees at the next port as they are down 2 people.

So I speak in generals.   It's possible they might get money back (others on CC have), but it's possible they might not. 

Not taking the bet, because I don't think they will add a port, but didn't they add Nassau to your last cruise?  Anything is possible.

Edited by sailorusvi

15 hours ago, uneamie said:

Which makes me wonder why it is ever included in itineraries.....why bother ever putting it on them if they are always going to end up removing it? 

Completely unsubstantiated but I do remember seeing a post here a while back about how Norfolk did NCL a favor during the height of Covid with dock space for some of their ships.  Adding the Norfolk stop was a bit of payback to the city for that.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

Completely unsubstantiated but I do remember seeing a post here a while back about how Norfolk did NCL a favor during the height of Covid with dock space for some of their ships.  Adding the Norfolk stop was a bit of payback to the city for that.

When do you leave on the GA Pete?

2 hours ago, minijaffacake said:

There was a 10 per person refund on the 1/8 sailing, which people online originally said was the fee for the DR, but someone recently said that was because we also lost the morning in Antigua (for environmental reasons).  I have no idea exactly what the 10 was for.

The escape made it back to Taino bay:

plus there's the possibility if Amber cove has fewer than 2 ships docked there that NCL may dock there but please note that there have been a lot of changes:

Edited by kitkat343