Inbound Flight Dilemma - what would you do?

jrhill

19 hours ago, jsglow said:

I ran across my old post here which turned out to be prophetic in February.  Because of various delays, we didn't land into FLL until 3:30 am for a recent cruise using up most of those 'safety net hours' I had mentioned.  Problem was, we could no longer check into our hotel. 

That's interesting, I have never come across a hotel turning people away for a reservation that has been secured with a credit card. I have a lot of experience flying in to places in Asia and Africa at weird hours like that and they always take me in, or charge me if I just flat-out no show. Never had a place say "nope, we can't check you in any more". 

• Like 1

Zach - you are fortunate that you have never been "walked".  But even in those cases, the hotel will arrange for you to get alternative lodging for the night.

So I too am a bit curious about how someone was not allowed to check in.

12 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

Zach - you are fortunate that you have never been "walked".  But even in those cases, the hotel will arrange for you to get alternative lodging for the night.

So I too am a bit curious about how someone was not allowed to check in.

Oh I've definitely been "walked". Got "walked" at a hotel in Singapore three times in a row before I realized I just should stop booking there haha. That's just not how I read the post...I read it as "I showed up and they told me to eff off", which I have never encountered personally. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Zach1213 said:

That's interesting, I have never come across a hotel turning people away for a reservation that has been secured with a credit card. I have a lot of experience flying in to places in Asia and Africa at weird hours like that and they always take me in, or charge me if I just flat-out no show. Never had a place say "nope, we can't check you in any more". 

Yep. We had multiple people told by several hotels near FLL that their check in desk closed a 2a.

On 3/29/2023 at 3:01 AM, jsglow said:

Problem was, we could no longer check into our hotel.  We airport 'dozed' those wee hours away before grabbing a morning Uber to POM.

8 minutes ago, jsglow said:

Yep. We had multiple people told by several hotels near FLL that their check in desk closed a 2a.

Did you actually try going to your hotel? Or had your own hotel told you that its check-in desk closed at 0200?

Not being able to check in?  With the exception of some very small hotels, and I have only heard of hotels in Europe for example, not having a front desk person around the clock,  the desk is staffed 24/7 so if it was a major hotel brand, they're full of it.  ESPECIALLY in a city where there are tons of hotels close to the airport and almost ALL of the big ones house flight crews.

Even if they're in the middle of night audit, they can certainly check you in.   Been there, done that, on BOTH sides of the front desk as both an associate and a guest. 

Edited by megr1125
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/30/2023 at 8:52 AM, Globaliser said:

Did you actually try going to your hotel? Or had your own hotel told you that its check-in desk closed at 0200?

We actually spoke to the hotel desk directly at approximately 10p for more than 20 minutes.  As I said, we were not the only folks in our predicament. Others were learning similar restrictions. There was simply nobody on staff post 2a to provide us with a key.  For reference, this was a budget Red Carpet Inn, formerly a Days Inn. And no, we didn't waste an Uber ride to nowhere.  We were safe at FLL.

20 hours ago, jsglow said:

We actually spoke to the hotel desk directly at approximately 10p for more than 20 minutes.  As I said, we were not the only folks in our predicament. Others were learning similar restrictions. There was simply nobody on staff post 2a to provide us with a key.  For reference, this was a budget Red Carpet Inn, formerly a Days Inn. And no, we didn't waste an Uber ride to nowhere.  We were safe at FLL.

Therein lies the problem.

"budget Red Carpet Inn...."  Next time, consider  booking a Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott or IHG brand.  Pretty sure it'll be a much better room in a hotel that actually has a 24 hour front desk.

Sorry that happened but, caveat emptor.

37 minutes ago, megr1125 said:

Therein lies the problem.

"budget Red Carpet Inn...."  Next time, consider  booking a Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott or IHG brand.  Pretty sure it'll be a much better room in a hotel that actually has a 24 hour front desk.

Sorry that happened but, caveat emptor.

Not complaining, simply stating facts.  The hotels you mentioned were in the $250-$400 range that night. We were more like $130 at a property we've been 'comfortable enough' in the past for a one night stay. That said, we were surprised by the cutoff and would have made a different choice had we known beforehand. We survived.