Explore Jerusalem Independently?

Low Country Sandlapper

1 hour ago, Low Country Sandlapper said:

I will be on Sirena leaving Haifa, Israel on May 27th.  The next stop is Ashdod.  Do you think it is possible to get to Jerusalem and explore on our own?  Anyone have any experience doing this?  Thank you.

We’ve done Jerusalem from both Ashdod and Haifa. Used ship’s tours and glad we did. 

1 hour ago, Low Country Sandlapper said:

I will be on Sirena leaving Haifa, Israel on May 27th.  The next stop is Ashdod.  Do you think it is possible to get to Jerusalem and explore on our own?  Anyone have any experience doing this?  Thank you.

Even though cruise itineraries show Ashdod as (Jerusalem), Ashdod is NOT Jerusalem- in a taxi it will take you anywhere from 1-1 1/2 hours to drive the distance. Is your visit one day or longer? Public transportation (bus or train) would be the least expensive option but if time is important, then take a taxi. Israel runs shared taxis called sheruts (not sure if they run from Ashdod port to Jerusalem city center. I suggest mapping out a list of "must see" sights, then navigate your time. Taxis are readily available at the port, be mindful that security is tight and lengthy- be sure to build in adequate time for both your departure and return. The taxi service "Gett" has a downloadable app, their service is very reliable.

I suggest hiring a  local guide to pick you up and bring you back. Jerusalem is too much to do on your own IMHO. We hired a guide who picked us up in Haifa, took us to places along the way, had lunch in “New” Jerusalem and explored the “Old City”. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nursinadream said:

Look at guidedtoursisrael.  We used them at both ports.  They have a variety offered at each port.

Deb

Plus 1.

2 hours ago, luvsmickey said:

I suggest hiring a  local guide to pick you up and bring you back. Jerusalem is too much to do on your own IMHO. We hired a guide who picked us up in Haifa, took us to places along the way, had lunch in “New” Jerusalem and explored the “Old City”. 

Plus 1.  Given the current security situation, I would not recommend any touring on my own.  Stick with a ship's excursion or the recommended local company.  They are excellent.

As detailed above, it IS possible to do this, easier if you have a long port day. If you've been there before and know the "lay of the land" it also helps.

If not, be prepared. Jerusalem is very complex -- not only does it have many layers of history, it is also a city divided into four. At all times of the year it is filled with tourists and pilgrims, making it sometimes difficult to navigate around. And there are so many things to see while there....

If you have specific interests, it may be worthwhile to consider a more bespoke tour. The tours offered by GTI are fine if you want a group experience and if their itineraries interest you. It's my recollection that they only offer group tours, but I may be wrong.  

I worked with a well-recommended guide (who in turn located another guide for me who was an expert in my area of interest), and we planned a one-day itinerary around Jerusalem that was fantastic as an introduction. I have since been back and stayed several days in Jerusalem -- much easier to get around without the time restraints of being on a cruise and needing to get to/from the port.

I would be happy to share the name of the guide/arranger if interested. My sister and BIL also toured with him from a cruise (small group) and they all had good things to say as well....

Overall I am a big fan of DIY, but in this case I think there was a lot of value added in having a guide.

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 1