Booking onboard

janecambridge

Yes you do but not always a better deal to book at the time. We ended up putting a future cruise deposit down which gives money off and some onboard spend. The cruise we are going on in November cost £5000 less booking with the current deal than we could have got onboard.

• Like 1

As Techno says, you have to be wary of price increases.  On board bookings give you some definite financial perks, but they may not outweigh the price increases if they occur.  Another problem with booking down the road is cabin and category selection.  Your cruise may book out or your cabin selection may be much more limited.  If you've found a cruise you really want to go on, book now.  That way you have your cabin and cruise of choice.

One thing you can do is book and "open booking" while on board.  You have to use it within a certain time frame (I think a year) but you get the reduced deposit and the applicable OBC.  We did that this past summer and when we booked our cruise with it, it was great. Saved a lot.

Edited by papaflamingo
  • Like 1

The onboard booking comes with a price match guarantee. Usually Regent structures new specials so that all things considered the new price really isn’t lower. Sometimes it is though. 

We booked a cruise onboard last summer and then announced a free 2-class upgrade. I did the math and it looked like I might get a small price break if I took advantage of the price guarantee. I called my TA a day before final payment was due and she checked with Regent. Turns out my math was bad. My final payment went from $25k to $20k. 

I believe to get the price match it needs to be before final payment and the category needs to be available. Techno123 you might want to check with your TA if the British rules allow. 

12 hours ago, janecambridge said:

Do I have an opportunity to book a future  cruise onboard explorer in August? 
Are  there  good deals to be had by doing this? Thank you . 

If you book onboard you will receive a modest on-board booking discount and some OBC. You will also benefit from having to pay a smaller deposit and will be given the opportunity to transfer your cruise & deposit to a different voyage one time prior to final payment date without penalty. The booking also comes with a "price guarantee" as others have mentioned.

You do not have to wait until you are on board to take advantage of the on-board booking benefits. You can book up to 30 days before your cruise in August and have the benefits applied.

Unfortunately one of the best previous benefits enjoyed by UK guests has been withdrawn.

Prior to December 2021 UK guests booking on-board received the same cancellation terms as US  guests i.e. deposit was refundable before final payment, subject to a £50pp admin fee.

Now the deposit is non-refundable in line with the usual draconian UK Ts&Cs

@janecambridge, August is the month that Regent usually releases its new itineraries, so it will certainly be worth booking a session with the on-board Cruise Consultant to discuss possibilities, booking discounts or, as @Techno123 says, making an investment in a Future Cruise Deposit. (This gives the on-board booking benefits but does not lock in the cruise prices, which can go up or down in the future)

2 hours ago, jeb_bud said:

The onboard booking comes with a price match guarantee. Usually Regent structures new specials so that all things considered the new price really isn’t lower. Sometimes it is though.

Pre-covid the "price guarantee" received for an on-board booking covered both price reductions and 'benefits' added after booking.

Certainly worth requesting any "extras" that are added later to a cruise booked on board; it costs nothing to ask 😉