Sydney Opera House tickets

2cruisecats

We will be in Sydney for 4 days after 2 weeks of travel in NZ  (South Island) before our December cruise .   We are very interested in a tour of the Opera.  I understand we need to buy tickets in advance and am wondering how far in advance?  Should we purchase tickets before leaving Canada or wait until  until we arrive in Sydney to buy them?  (My DH would even like to go to a performance but I'm not packing "going-out" clothes -- already too much luggage for a month away)

Any other suggestions of things to see/do in Sydney would be appreciated.

It would be very sensible to book your tour well before you depart Canada. It is very popular.

We did this tour just before Covid struck and it was brilliant. We really enjoyed it.

We also did the Blue Mountain tour in a small party. It was amazing and well worth the cost. Our guide was fantastic and we saw such a lot. We ended up at the Zoo and then did a boat trip back to Sydney. 

Here is a link to our time in Sydney. We did a lot in the four days we were there. There are lots of photos and it’s a bit wordy but it might help. We also went to Paramatta on the train and visited the Old Government House which was fascinating.  Had a nice cream tea there too.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2753611-come-sail-with-me-on-a-virtual-cruise-on-majestic-princess-to-fiji/page/13/

Hope I’ve done that link correctly. The Sydney Opera House Tour actually starts at the bottom of page 11 if you want to start at the beginning. There are also lots of photos of Sydney and places to go.  Hope that helps. 

Edited by ellie1145
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, ellie1145 said:

It would be very sensible to book your tour well before you depart Canada. It is very popular.

We did this tour just before Covid struck and it was brilliant. We really enjoyed it.

We also did the Blue Mountain tour in a small party. It was amazing and well worth the cost. Our guide was fantastic and we saw such a lot. We ended up at the Zoo and then did a boat trip back to Sydney. 

Thank you!   And yes, the link works.

I was hoping to wait until we got to NZ to book the Opera Tour but  we'll do it before leaving Canada. We sail Viking out of Sydney and the Opera is one of the optional tours they offer but we'd prefer a smaller group. 

May I ask what company you used for the Blue Mountain tour?  Did you book that from your hotel? That one is weather dependant so don't want to book too far in advance.

Edited by 2cruisecats

If there's a concert at the Sydney Opera House while you're there that you'd like to see, consider getting tickets to the concert and see the building that way while you're there. The cost of the tickets for the concert we saw there weren't enormously more than the tour tickets.

On 2/4/2023 at 2:33 AM, taxatty said:

If there's a concert at the Sydney Opera House while you're there that you'd like to see, consider getting tickets to the concert and see the building that way while you're there. The cost of the tickets for the concert we saw there weren't enormously more than the tour tickets.

The big difference is that on the tour you learn about its fascinating history and we saw a rehearsal in the main auditorium and a smaller theatre being set up, plus outside areas not usually accessible.  

You would not have access to all these areas if you just booked a concert. But I’d love to do a concert if we go again. I’m sure you will enjoy it whatever way you visit.

2 hours ago, ellie1145 said:

The big difference is that on the tour you learn about its fascinating history and we saw a rehearsal in the main auditorium and a smaller theatre being set up, plus outside areas not usually accessible.  

You would not have access to all these areas if you just booked a concert. But I’d love to do a concert if we go again. I’m sure you will enjoy it whatever way you visit.

Agree we thoroughly enjoyed learning the history of the building and booked our tickets months before leaving Canada to be certain of date and time we wanted.  The photos taken before the start of the tour are fun and not mandatory to purchase though we found it a nice souvenir of both of us together.

We are just back from our cruise to Australia.  We spent 8 days in Sydney before.  We booked the Opera House Tour while still in New York.   Lovely tour.  We also booked a performance of Carmen from the Sydney Opera Company outside on Cockatoo Island.

On 2/5/2023 at 1:17 PM, ellie1145 said:

We used Anderson’s Tours very professional and well worth the extra cost for a small group tour. Everything was sorted - all admission tickets, the lunch, the boat tour. We’d love to do it again. 

We also booked Andersonstours.com.au.  excellent.    And we found a great chefs tour out of Sydney to the Hunter Valley.  Wineries plus the chef cookedcfor us. Superb.

I hope this isn’t too “off topic””, but we have tickets for an 11am performance at the Opera House for or day in Sydney. My question is about clothes since we have limited room to pack. How dressy would a morning performance be? Thanks for any suggestions.

1 hour ago, tillys mom said:

I hope this isn’t too “off topic””, but we have tickets for an 11am performance at the Opera House for or day in Sydney. My question is about clothes since we have limited room to pack. How dressy would a morning performance be? Thanks for any suggestions.

Unless the performance was something special, it's almost certainly going to be 'smart casual'.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/17/2023 at 8:13 PM, YoPhilly said:

We'll be in Sydney at the end of next February, and their performance schedule isn't out yet for those dates.  I'll keep checking.

Us as well... if you happen to catch when the schedule is listed before I do, would you mind commenting here if you think of it, and I'll do the same?