B2B Vancouver to Sydney - best way to book airfare?

pompeii

We're on Princess b2b cruises leaving from Vancouver and ending up in Sydney and are using Princess EZAir.  First cruise is Vancouver - Sydney and the second is roundtrip Sydney.  We can either book airfare with both flights attached to the first segment of the cruise, or split it up one-way out on the first segment and one-way back on the second segment.  The cost is the same.   I believe that we would have to pay for our checked bags to Vancouver either way because it's the first flight.  We won't have to pay for bags on the return flight either way.  

Are there benefits to having a segment of your flight attached to each cruise, or doesn't it matter?

The return flight is international so I don't believe there is a checked bag fee.  The outgoing is USA to Canada, which doesn't count as international, hence checked bag fee.  At least, that's been my experience with mixed flights like that.  I could be wrong, though.

Edited by pompeii
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, pompeii said:

The return flight is international so I don't believe there is a checked bag fee.  The outgoing is USA to Canada, which doesn't count as international, hence checked bag fee.  At least, that's been my experience with mixed flights like that.  I could be wrong, though.

Yes. Air Canada (or WestJet or the US airlines) will charge baggage fees between the US and Canada unless your connecting overseas.

Air Canada and Qantas are the only two non-stop options between Vancouver and Australia.  Air New Zealand would also be an option with a connection.  They have a first fee bag on overseas flights. 

That said, coming back from Australia, I am assuming your going home and not trying to go through Vancouver.  That gives you a few more options. 

Thanks for the reply @em-sk.  We are cruising from Vancouver to Sydney, so we only need to fly to Vancouver to meet the ship on the way out.  Coming back we'll fly from Sydney home but not have to go through Vancouver.

Anyway, although suggestions on airlines is appreciated, my question is regarding booking both my flights attached to the first of my b2b cruises.   I wondered if it's better to have one airline booking with both flights on the first of the cruises.  Or have two separate airline bookings, ie the departure flight on the first cruise and return flight on the second.  I remember a comment that it's best to split the flights up and have air attached to each of the cruises, but I can't remember exactly the reason.

2 hours ago, pompeii said:

Thanks for the reply @em-sk.  We are cruising from Vancouver to Sydney, so we only need to fly to Vancouver to meet the ship on the way out.  Coming back we'll fly from Sydney home but not have to go through Vancouver.

Anyway, although suggestions on airlines is appreciated, my question is regarding booking both my flights attached to the first of my b2b cruises.   I wondered if it's better to have one airline booking with both flights on the first of the cruises.  Or have two separate airline bookings, ie the departure flight on the first cruise and return flight on the second.  I remember a comment that it's best to split the flights up and have air attached to each of the cruises, but I can't remember exactly the reason.

Unless there is a cost saving I would do two separate one.

When you buy a ticket, your paying the airline that issued the ticket and are playing by that airlines rules on changes etc.  That first airline is then reselling all the other flights to you.   For example if you first flight on the ticket was Air Canada,, you have Air Canada as the airline your dealing with for changes to any subsequent flights including the return one.