Yacht Club -- visitors (on the ship, and Ocean Cay) ?

Tom-n-Cheryl

We have sailed with friends who were staying in the YC on Seaside and went in to see their room have a drink with them and then returned to the Top 19 area, when they had the Royal suite on Meraviglia we also went in to see that also but left shortly after. We were also shown around the YC areas one evening by a member of staff with whom we are still friends. I can understand that the powers that be don't want the YC areas filling with guests who are not in the YC.

Visiting a cabin and showing it off is one thing. But hosting a party in that gated community utilizing a host/butler /room steward is another. The rest of us do not want to subsidize ones party to non suite paying guests, which is really what happens in suite venues on a cruise. One really doesn't know how short staffed the YC might be on any particular sailing and having to wait for an available staff member to finish servicing ones 'shindig' dilutes our cruise experience.

Edited by morpheusofthesea
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, B_A_H said:

Pay or earn the privilege to be in a better caste or stay in the caste you're entitled to. 

Not that I disagree with you...but

This almost sounds a little prejudiced

Like you don't want us on your block either?

I was waiting for this thread to go south.

Maybe it's time to lock it?

12 hours ago, Nikita4 said:

They have cameras overlooking all doors oft the YC from the concierge or YC office. So they will control the entrance anyway. I don't think that your story with the non YC people in the pool area is true.

On Seascape in October one person was laying on the sun bed next to me.  When the waiter asked if she wanted a drink she asked if she had to be a YC member.   She said she was not one.  The waiter walked off and about 30 minutes later she decided to leave on her own.  

Last week on Meraviglia someone wandered into the pool deck and asked where the slide was.  

So yes, it happens often.  These are only two examples, I have experienced and seen more.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, B_A_H said:

If you're in first or business class on a flight, should you be allowed to bring guests from main cabin to "visit you?"  If you're in a room at a hotel that allows executive lounge access, should you be allowed to bring friends staying in standard rooms to "share the lounge with you?"  If you're in a Queen's Grill cabin on Cunard, should your Britannia restaurant friends be allowed to "dine with you?"  All of those things are designed to accommodate a specific and limited number of people.  Allowing unentitled "guests" and "visitors" affects those that paid for or earned the higher level of privilege.  

Yes, all those things and YC are caste systems.  And it's rather black and white.  Pay or earn the privilege to be in a better caste or stay in the caste you're entitled to.  So to the OP, either downgrade from YC to be with your friends or plan on spending time outside of the YC to socialize with them. 

The other option you didn't mention is for them to pay more to be in YC with you so I'm guessing that's out of the question based on cost.  That's a choice.  But don't lambast those posting here or MSC for saying the YC is exclusively for those that paid to be part of it.  

As you ask about Cunard: No, you cannot, as a rule, have a non Queens Grill guest dine there.

BUT of course Queens Grill guests can invite guests from any grades to their cabins - to show them, to attend a cocktail party in the suite or whatever one wants to do in there. 

3 hours ago, mmbcater said:

Because  I paid for the Yacht Club experience. I do not agree with bringing non YC members in even to view cabins. If they want to seethed book  the experience. I did not see a cabin prior to booking/boarding-theres plenty of videos on youtube to see cabins in the YC. Trust me every butler, server and concierge person knows who is in the YC, they have your pictures in their system. They learn who their passengers are... just that you can visit her cabin its not in a private area! 

Sorry to be this way-but I paid to be in a private experience, I work hard to pay and enjoy my 

Long live segregation, or what does this mean? No fraternization betwwen tue class.

There are all kind of reasons why one might invite a guest to his or her cabin. Some might be really private and certainly not the business of you, any other guest or even MSC.

Does any of you who say 'No non-YC guests in the privacy of ones cabin' has seen a guest been  dragged out of cabin?

1 hour ago, Fla Mike said:

Not that I disagree with you...but

This almost sounds a little prejudiced

Like you don't want us on your block either?

I was waiting for this thread to go south.

Maybe it's time to lock it?

A bit thin skinned, perhaps?

MSC's policy is: No one enters the YC area who is not a YC passenger. The doorways, when operating correctly, control access to the YC area as a whole, for this purpose.

Since access to YC staterooms requires entrance to YC's controlled area, people who are not themselves YC passengers are not allowed to travel to the rooms of their YC friends.

Now, if people really want visitors in their YC room, without violating the perimeter rules of YC, there are two strategies to pursue.

1) Simply ask the YC management ahead of time if the friends may chillax in your room (and nowhere else) and satisfy the management you won't be ordering YC freebies or running the butler back and forth for purposes of accommodating your visitors. Be prepared to accept, "We're sorry, but no," for their answer.

2) Book a cruise on Bellissima, Euribia, Grandiosa, Meraviglia, or Virtuosa. All five of these ships offer YC duplex rooms that are outside the secured YC perimeter. The rooms have an extra half-bath, which is nice if you have visitors. Also, the balconies have hot tubs for you and your visitors to enjoy. Since these rooms are well away from the YC perimeter, I doubt you would have the slightest problem with admittance of your friends.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Tom

Just FYI the YC part of the island is actually another island only reachable by bridge (walkable and Trolley)

There is an employee at the entrance to the bridge who checks if you are a YC guest 

The YC restaurant and beach area to the side is where there are cabanas.

The other YC beach has NO chairs or umbrellas, so most use the beach adjacent to the restaurant 

We found the beach to be quiet and there were 3 empty cabanas behind us 

The sand at the main YC beach is not that soft, bring water shoes 

I’ll see if I have photos of the cabana area at YC for you 

I’m sure you are a Star Class cruiser, and you will enjoy the YC being fully ship within a ship concept 

Happy Days!

We ventured out after 140 cruises between us and like the MSC product 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, PompeySailor said:

There is an employee at the entrance to the bridge who checks if you are a YC guest 

Unfortunately this use to be the case. On New Years cruise this 'guard' was positioned after one crossed the bridge allowing non Yacht Club guests to be directed to the left to Bimini Beach which is just a short walk to the YC area and another way for 'interlopers' to visit.

• Thanks 1

People's perspectives on this are interesting.  YC is not a public space where people are "segregated" based on a personally defining characteristic or the subjective decision of staff.  It's a "for money" dedicated area for people who choose to consciously pay for it; MSC is very clear about that.  So is NCL for the Haven and Celebrity for The Retreat.

And it isn't anti-democratic for anyone in YC, Haven, or The Retreat to expect the exclusivity of what they paid for to be preserved.  People in the YC are there by choice.  Same thing for the people that aren't. Literally anyone can be in YC, Haven, or The Retreat.  Simply pay the additional cost. But for those that don't want to or can't, don't blame the two caste system for your exclusion. Instead, boycott cruise lines that offer it.  

I just got off a Divina 7 day in YC, am going on the World Europa in YC in May, and on the Seaview in October in YC.  If I were sailing with friends or family on any of those cruises, we'd either all be in YC or I'd downgrade to be with them. 

I'd never put the YC staff in an awkward position by asking "hey, can I host some of my non-YC friends to do some YC things?"  It's not fair to the staff or others that paid to be in YC. Nor would I stake claim to "my YC cabin" to host anyone else outside of the YC for parties. I'd see that as an afront to fellow passengers that paid for YC.  Again, that's why I'd downgrade. Just my opinion, but me being in YC while friends and family on the same sailing weren't would smack of elitism on my part.  I could never see myself doing that.  But to each their own I guess.  

If I saw a bunch of fellow YC guests, either with or without YC staff consent, diluting the value of what I paid for I'd be pissed and not quiet about it. A bunch of people here have posted similar sentiments. Those sentiments are totally appropriate based on MSC's definition of "Yacht Club." 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, B_A_H said:

People's perspectives on this are interesting.  YC is not a public space where people are "segregated" based on a personally defining characteristic or the subjective decision of staff.  It's a "for money" dedicated area for people who choose to consciously pay for it; MSC is very clear about that.  So is NCL for the Haven and Celebrity for The Retreat.

And it isn't anti-democratic for anyone in YC, Haven, or The Retreat to expect the exclusivity of what they paid for to be preserved.  People in the YC are there by choice.  Same thing for the people that aren't. Literally anyone can be in YC, Haven, or The Retreat.  Simply pay the additional cost. But for those that don't want to or can't, don't blame the two caste system for your exclusion. Instead, boycott cruise lines that offer it.  

I just got off a Divina 7 day in YC, am going on the World Europa in YC in May, and on the Seaview in October in YC.  If I were sailing with friends or family on any of those cruises, we'd either all be in YC or I'd downgrade to be with them. 

I'd never put the YC staff in an awkward position by asking "hey, can I host some of my non-YC friends to do some YC things?"  It's not fair to the staff or others that paid to be in YC. Nor would I stake claim to "my YC cabin" to host anyone else outside of the YC for parties. I'd see that as an afront to fellow passengers that paid for YC.  Again, that's why I'd downgrade. Just my opinion, but me being in YC while friends and family on the same sailing weren't would smack of elitism on my part.  I could never see myself doing that.  But to each their own I guess.  

If I saw a bunch of fellow YC guests, either with or without YC staff consent, diluting the value of what I paid for I'd be pissed and not quiet about it. A bunch of people here have posted similar sentiments. Those sentiments are totally appropriate based on MSC's definition of "Yacht Club." 

A succinct and accurate summary!! Although, sadly, your impeccable logic will not be able to penetrate obstinate minds. 

17 minutes ago, Bgwest said:

A succinct and accurate summary!! Although, sadly, your impeccable logic will not be able to penetrate obstinate minds. 

Though I agree with the assessment, the use of 'trigger' words , like "segregate" rather than 'insulate' or some other more amiable term might foster a better response.

I was quoting someone else.  Actually, that post is what prompted my response.  YC being exclusive was being twisted in to something societal in a number of posts.  It's not. The dividing line is purely financial.  But I guess that could take us down the capitalism rabbit hole. 😉 

Long live segregation, or what does this mean? No fraternization betwwen tue class.

There are all kind of reasons why one might invite a guest to his or her cabin. Some might be really private and certainly not the business of you, any other guest or even MSC.

Does any of you who say 'No non-YC guests in the privacy of ones cabin' has seen a guest been  dragged out of cabin?

5 hours ago, L1211 said:

Could you bring someone to visit your hotel room when on a club floor, of course you can - it’s your room!

Actually not necessarily.

Sandals we were in Ocho Rios at their Royal Plantation/Ochi resorts staying at RP. We were allowed anywhere while those in Ochi rooms could not visit RP. Now you could talk to someone at RP possibly and get someone a specific allowance to come over but it wasn't just allowed and likely would be rejected.

This is no different really from Yacht Club being restricted for anyone else.

There are plenty of places you will likely find restrictions on who can enter areas.

I personally don't care but if you do then take up with the company and in the meantime book through a company that holds your viewpoint with how they operate.

Its easy for us though as our group wouldn't be split. I would simply go to a cruiseline or hotel that I am fine with staying in the non-premium area.

52 minutes ago, B_A_H said:

The dividing line is purely financial. 

Absolutely 100 percent correct!

One really needs to watch trigger words in today's climate.

Like I said, I don't disagree with the YC exclusions,  but "classifying"  people is just a recipe for disaster.

19 hours ago, L1211 said:

.....To clarify, an airplane seat, a club lounge or an exclusive restaurant on Cunard are not the same as “my cabin”.  Could you bring someone to visit your hotel room when on a club floor, of course you can - it’s your room!  While you pay for the public spaces in YC and should be entitled to your exclusive experience, your experience does not include my cabin, only yours…. 

MSC Yacht Club does NOT operate on the 'he who pays the piper calls the tune' basis. MSC make the rules, not me or you or anyone else....not even the YC Director assigned on any particular ship!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1